JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f789-our-pregnancies-and-our-earth-angels/)
-   -   Doctor's appt. and ultrasound tomorrow (xposted) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f789-our-pregnancies-and-our-earth-angels/1586782-doctors-appt-and-ultrasound-tomorrow-xposted.html)

~Laurie~ June 4th, 2009 05:17 PM

Doctor's appt. and ultrasound tomorrow (xposted)

I had my first prenatal appointment yesterday. My own doctor is away, so I saw someone I've never seen before. First the nurse did my chart, so I was put through the past history questions. "What pregnancy is this". Fourth. "How many live births?" One. "And the other two?" One stillbirth, one ruptured ectopic.... So many questions. Ugh. Then the doctor came in and told me he had been looking over my file, and that I was a very complicated case. I am now obsessing over the meaning of this. Does this mean I am high risk? He told me I was due for some good luck, and to just keep focusing on that. Really, he was a very nice man, but I am glad to have my doctor back for my next appointment. Going over the same painful ground is just getting old, if you know what I mean.
I have my IPS (I think it is the same as nuchal testing) ultrasound. I am extremely nervous. I just want a healthy baby, but at this point I am starting to feel like that will never happen for me. I haven't told anyone about the pregnancy, and I won't let dh tell anyone. He's told me that it is stupid to wait, but I want to at least get through this ultrasound first. I keep waiting for the stress and worry to ease off a bit, but it hasn't happened yet. I keep telling myself to just get past this milestone and it will be OK, but then there is just another milestone to get past. Was it like this for the rest of you? Does it ever get easier?

LauraG June 4th, 2009 07:40 PM

Re: Doctor's appt. and ultrasound tomorrow (xposted)

Yeah I was so tired of repeating my story over and over to new doctors, interns, students and so on. I mean it was right there in my file in front of them and i would leave the office so frustrated at times. I broke down and started crying with one doctor this last time because I had so many complications and then this new person asking me the same **** questions when he had my file and I could see it was written there.
I was considered high risk because of the stillbirth and then the gestational diabetes added to it and this last time high blood pressure.
And yes it was like that for me. Each appointment and u/s and each one was one more hurdle to get over to reach my goal. I said that too, after this u/s i will tell people and then it was after this appointment. I was scared from start to finish. Even when Owen came out alive I still kept asking if he was ok and if he was alive. When I was seeing my baby on the u/s and was told everything looked good i was fine but then the next day i was back in fear mode. I wish it was easier.

lex1078 June 4th, 2009 08:56 PM

I'm nervous as hell about going to my first appt. Not only is this my first pregnancy after loss, but it's also at a new Dr.'s office also. I don't even know if I'm going to use this office because there are a few Dr.'s there and one of them doesn't even accept my insurance. I don't pay a dime out of pocket for pregnancy except for a $10 co-pay so if I get stuck with this Dr. for delivery I would have to pay for it, uh-uh.. no way!!! That's just ridiculous! I also don't know if I'm comfortable with having all these Dr.'s, I know I'm going to have to tell my story 1 million times and I know it's all there in my file because I GAVE THEM THE PAPERWORK ON WHAT HAPPENED!! It's so stupid, you go to the Dr.'s office and they ask you the same questions over and over and everything is still the same, READ IT! All you should have to answer is this question: Has anything changed since you're last visit? If you say YES, then start asking more ???? if I say no, then take a second and look over the papers. UGH!! I hate Dr.'s!!

Laurie, I hope it gets easier for you! I know it's so hard to not worry, but try to take it easy every now and again. At least a few minutes of closing your eyes and meditating. HUGS sweetie!

~Laurie~ June 5th, 2009 06:42 AM

Thanks, girls. I know you understand better than anyone irl. I am trying to keep positive but also realistic, and sometimes the two don`t work together. My appointment is at 11am, so I have to start chugging water soon.

LauraG June 5th, 2009 07:00 AM

It is your nuchal today? KUP on how the appointment goes! :) Yes being positive and our reality can be hard, but I hope you feel a lot better after your appointment today. Did the doc tell you if you are considered high risk?

claire1979 June 5th, 2009 07:07 AM

i hated doctors appointments when i was pregnant with keeley it was hard every week telling them all i had shared care so saw who ever was there! and the diabetes registrar every week too i flt like i was forever saying my daughter died it was very upsetting, the mile stones got me throu her pregnancy hun its easier saying get to so and so then get to a new one i took it day by day.
kup how the appointment and u/s goes hun ((((hugs)))

~Laurie~ June 5th, 2009 07:07 AM

Yes, it is my nuchal (they call it IPS testing here), and he never said whether I would be high risk. I`ve asked a few times, but I think they just don`t know yet. I am more nervous because the cause of the stillbirth was never discovered, so I just keep wondering if it will happen again. I think I would be better off if I just knew what happened. It is hard to assess your chances when you don`t. I am also nervous because the methotrexate they gave me in December blocks the absorption of folic acid. I`ve been taking 4mg a day, but I am still very concerned about neural tube defects.

LauraG June 5th, 2009 07:22 AM

It's really insane were your minds goes to with a sub pregnancy. I was very worried about neural tube defects and downs and everything. I had placenta problems and so every u/s i would ask about the placenta but my first question was always, do u see a heartbeat. I took it appointment by appointment to get through. Are you thinking about telling people after your u/s today?
I figured all women were considered high risk after a stillbirth but it depends on why the stillbirth happened. It would be nice to hibernate for 9 months, i would prefer that anyway :)

~Laurie~ June 5th, 2009 11:26 AM

I just got back from the ultrasound. Everything seems to be good. The tech said it's a girl, but it is still an early scan, so I will wait for confirmation at 18 weeks. I am much relieved. So, shall I make the next scan my next milestone? LOL. I can't stop smiling!

LauraG June 5th, 2009 11:31 AM

Oh that is awesome!! So glad you are relieved :) Ya you!

~Laurie~ June 5th, 2009 11:57 AM

Thanks!

Brittanie June 5th, 2009 02:49 PM

I'm glad you're relieved!! I found myself feeling better about things just after an appointment, with anxiety growing as I neared the next.

I'm so glad everything looks good! As for the gender, well, from what I've read on the internet, the genetalia looks pretty much the same until around 14 weeks, and then the male starts to grow. So don't be surprised if your girl turns into a boy. But yay for healthy!

~Laurie~ June 5th, 2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brittanie (Post 16105473)
I'm glad you're relieved!! I found myself feeling better about things just after an appointment, with anxiety growing as I neared the next.

I'm so glad everything looks good! As for the gender, well, from what I've read on the internet, the genetalia looks pretty much the same until around 14 weeks, and then the male starts to grow. So don't be surprised if your girl turns into a boy. But yay for healthy!

Apparently they really can tell the gender quite early, but age still affects it a bit. Either way I will wait until my next u/s before I buy pink. Really, healthy is what I really wanted, so the rest is just icing. I do want to know the gender because I will be having a repeat c-section and I prefer my 'surprise' to be when I can really hear and appreciate it...lol.

NutMeg76 June 5th, 2009 09:54 PM

I am so glad that everything is looking good!

I also wanted to say that your daughter is the first Evangeline I know besides my own. She was supposed to be Evangeline Grace also, but we made her middle name Cecilia after my grandmother.

claire1979 June 6th, 2009 03:20 AM

awww im so happy hun

and wow they told u the sex already they are good!