JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Our pregnancies and Our Earth Angels (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f789-our-pregnancies-and-our-earth-angels/)
-   -   canker sores (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f789-our-pregnancies-and-our-earth-angels/1636890-canker-sores.html)

LaLaLa1 July 16th, 2009 10:35 PM

canker sores

I was asking the girls who were on chat tonight (not that I don't trust you girls who answered me), but I just want to see what others say about this and don't want to look it up on google or it'll upset me if I read something I don't want to read.

Ever since I was 13 and started my period, I have constantly gotten canker sores in my mouth about a week or 2 prior to getting my period. It was almost a way of telling me that my period was on its way (It's like how my best friend always gets nosebleeds a few days before her af shows). I remember a few years ago reading on the internet that many women do get canker sores before they get their period and I asked my Dr. many years ago and he said it is quite normal and it could be a hereditary thing as well, but usually there are no real answers, but they're nothing to worry about. I also remembering reading that many women don't get canker sores while they're pregnant and I re-read that last year when I was pregnant with Katrina because I noticed I wasn't getting any.

Well this month right before I tested and got my :bfp:, I checked my mouth and couldn't feel any canker sores and along with the sore breasts and running to pee a lot, I was pretty convinced that I was pregnant - even before I tested.

Well...now I'm worrying myself silly because yesterday I noticed I have 2 canker sores in my mouth. I don't know what to think. I'm terrified that this is telling me that something could be wrong with sweet pea, but it's too early to check for the h/b and to get an u/s and to worry me even more, I haven't had any sign of morning sickness at all yet. I know canker sores are also a sign of stress as well, but I feel as if I haven't been stressing any more than usual lately.

Anyone know anything about this? Thanks for any and all your help!

rebeccabaltimore and more July 17th, 2009 08:36 AM

Re: canker sores

I got canker sores early in pregnancy with Ethan! They show up when hormone levels fluctuate, whether up or down. My mom had the same problem with all 3 of her pregnancies.

I'm pretty sure canker sores are caused by a virus. When a woman gets pregnant, her immune system gets a little weaker, to keep from attacking the baby. When your immune system weakens to protect the baby, it also reduces your protection against viruses, like the one that causes canker sores. So you get canker sores. That's how my OB explained it to me.

beantowner August 10th, 2009 09:29 PM

Hi - I have almost the exact same question. Throughout my adult life I have usually had bad canker sores in conjunction with my menstrual cycle. In a prior pregnancy, I didn't have any canker sores. Last year I miscarried and I knew something was wrong before they told me, in part because the canker sores appeared. Now I'm pregnant again and cankers have appeared, and of course i am worried that it is a bad sign about my hormone levels. Have you had hormone checks and are the levels climbing at expected rates? Would you please keep me posted about your situation - good or bad? I would like to be forewarned if something is going wrong. Thank you kindly. J

LaLaLa1 August 10th, 2009 11:24 PM

I haven't had my hormone levels checked. I've never had it checked with my last pregnancy and I asked to get it done this time and the Dr. said they don't normally do it unless they think there's a problem. I originally wrote this thread when I was about 4 weeks, when I had a couple in my mouth. I had an u/s 2 weeks ago (2 weeks after I asked this question) and everything was perfectly fine with baby. I'm now at 8 weeks and I notice I have one in my mouth right now, but I'm trying not to worry. I think this one could be because I've been very stressed lately due to my daughter's one year angelversary that just passed yesterday. I was just at my Dr's today actually, but didn't notice it in my mouth at the time, so didn't even think to ask.

beantowner August 11th, 2009 09:20 PM

Well that is really good news! I am glad to hear your U/S looked good. In the miscarriage I refered to when I had canker sores, my pregnancy had not progressed beyond a yolk sak. I expect my dr will check my hormone levels, maybe this week, just based on my prior history where they have been checking hormone levels early in pregnancy. I hope you will let me know how you are doing. God willing you won't have any concerning news, but if so, don't be afraid to tell me. I would rather have forewarning ==and I'm still being very cautious about my confidence in this pregnancy until I get beyond the first trimester because of my history.
I am sorry to hear it was the anniversary of the loss of your daughter -- and I sincerely hope that she's protecting the being inside you from up in heaven.

lnicholson99 November 10th, 2010 01:16 PM

I was so surprised when I found that other people were wondering about the correlation between canker sores and miscarriage. I have a healthy three year old boy, but suffered a miscarriage a month ago at about 5-6 weeks gestation. The four days before the event, I had a horrible outbreak of canker sores in my mouth. I do sometimes get one or two a week or so before my cycle, so I knew that something wasn't right. Once the pregnancy passed, the sores went away within a few days. When I googled canker sores, most pages say that they are often hormonally linked or can be due to food allergies or stress.

It has been 32 days since the loss, and I'm developing another round of canker sores and wondering what that means. Maybe my cycle is returning. It is truly amazing to me that these two seemingly unconnected things could be tied together. I'm hoping that in the near future we'll have another chance at a healthy and fruitful pregnancy.

Best,
Laura

liz bevan November 13th, 2010 10:26 PM

congrats steph :)
I hope the pregnancy goes well

LaLaLa1 November 16th, 2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz bevan (Post 22133268)
congrats steph :)
I hope the pregnancy goes well

I'm not pregnant! I made this thread last year in July 2009 soon after I found out I was pregnant with Rachel!! But I don't think there is a correlation between canker sores and m/c because I had a successful pregnancy with Rachel.

liz bevan November 17th, 2010 07:00 AM

oh that's funny ;)
I didn't look at the date it was posted.