JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pagan References (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f441-pagan-references/)
-   -   How to Use Herbs (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f441-pagan-references/2080407-how-to-use-herbs.html)

Earthy.Mama August 22nd, 2010 07:57 AM

How to Use Herbs

Storage
First things first. You have to store your herbs. Keep herbs sealed in a screw lidded container. The best ones are the colored glasses (check your local antique or goodwill store). Store herbs out of the sunlight as this sun will change the chemical properties of the herbs, much like the sun can bleach out clothes.

Preparation
The best way to use herbs is to grind them up your own w/ a mortar and pestle. The best are the ones pharmacists use because they're very coarse on the inside. Don't buy "soft" or wooden because they don't grind well and the wood can keep scents/colors/constituents from previous herbs ground. OR you can just buy the herbs from your whole foods store

Don't boil the herbs in water, as this will cause the chemical mixture in them to change and evaporate. Pour boiling water over the herb and then cover the pan/cup etc. . Use a ceramic pan/pot etc.., NEVER use metal or aluminum as this can cause toxic chemical mixtures. Keep herb covered for about 10-15 minutes.

You will now need to strain her herb. The best way to do this is using cheesecloth or a glass funnel.

HOW to use the herb will be coming shortly!

roving_gypsy August 24th, 2010 09:29 AM

Re: How to Use Herbs

Great info! Thank you for sharing.

Since I have a hard time finding colored glass jars in the sizes I need, I use clear glass jars but store them in a cabinet or other dark area.

Also I've read that stored dried herbs should be replaced after 1-2 years depending on the herb and the storage.

Earthy.Mama August 24th, 2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Stones* (Post 21293600)
Great info! Thank you for sharing.

Since I have a hard time finding colored glass jars in the sizes I need, I use clear glass jars but store them in a cabinet or other dark area.

Also I've read that stored dried herbs should be replaced after 1-2 years depending on the herb and the storage.

Storage techniques vary. When bottling your herb, put the date on it w/ tape or something. Each herbs shelf life (and oil life) is different. I'd suggest looking up the shelf life for each one that you're interested in. No one wants an old herb!!!

Do you use baby jars? That's a pretty popular and convenient method!

roving_gypsy August 24th, 2010 10:13 AM

I use canning jars, the sizes vary between 1/2pint to quart jars. I tend to have large amounts of herbs, so I need larger sizes of jars. lol