JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pagan References (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f441-pagan-references/)
-   -   How to make Incense (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f441-pagan-references/625809-how-to-make-incense.html)

*Aspen* June 28th, 2007 07:53 AM

<div align="center">Incense</div>
Begin with a base of 4 tsp sandalwood powder, 1 tsp germ Arabic, and 20 tsp of whatever dried herbs you wish. Mingle no more than 3 dried herbs into any one scent for best results. In another bowl blend 1/4c. saltpeter with 1/4c water. Slowly add this liquid into the dry mixture until it has a doughy consistency. Shape into cones, setting them upright in a sunny area for 3 days to dry, then store. For incense that requires self-lighting charcoal to burn, begin again with an aromatic wood base to which finely powdered herbs are added. Proportions here vary on the strength of herbs and final aroma desired, so experiment. When you have a blend you like, put 1-2 pinches on hot charcoal (or an outdoor fire to deter bugs) adding more if desired. If you add oils to the wood powder, these must be well mixed and allowed to dry before use.

~Jackie February 22nd, 2009 05:53 AM

I still haven't tried this -_-

LOL!

Carwen*Angel March 1st, 2009 02:34 PM

Lol! I thought you'd posted something new up then!!! (it also took me 5 minutes to work out that Precious~Souls was in fact you!!!!!!!)

roving_gypsy October 6th, 2009 07:38 PM

Re: How to make Incense

Where can I get saltpeter? I haven't actually looked at any of the local drug stores here, but I was searching online for a dealer who sold it and also sold bulk herbs, but I haven't had any luck. Thanks for any suggestions.

Earthy.Mama March 14th, 2010 02:12 PM

Saltpeter

roving_gypsy March 14th, 2010 05:16 PM

thank you! I finally found it at the New age store down in Jacksonville on one of my last trips, they seem to have been out of it the times before I had been there.

Earthy.Mama March 14th, 2010 05:27 PM

Glad you found it :)

roving_gypsy September 3rd, 2010 08:41 PM

finally made some incense, we will see how it turns out in the next few days.

Nyzira September 3rd, 2010 09:07 PM

We made incense for a workshop last Weds. One Weds. a month we have what we call "Herbal Mentorship." Our DFGL is a certified herbologist and runs her own herb company so we sit down and she tells us different things. Last last time it was powdered incense. She had like 5 books that listed various uses for the different herbs so we flipped through, picked some herbs, ground them up and burned them on charcoal. Worked great and left the room smelling very good. :)

On a side note: burdock is a b***ch to ground.

Earthy.Mama September 4th, 2010 08:57 AM

Let us know how it turns out!!

roving_gypsy September 4th, 2010 04:35 PM

I much prefer making powdered incense to burn over charcoal, but I figured I should try making the cone incense at least once. :p

Earthy.Mama September 4th, 2010 06:29 PM

I have never been able to get powdered incense to burn. I have no idea why. LOL!