JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   The Pagan's Learning Circle (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1530-pagans-learning-circle/)
-   -   October Theme~Samhain (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1530-pagans-learning-circle/2578953-october-theme-samhain.html)

Amaranth Dhanya September 29th, 2012 05:48 PM

October Theme~Samhain

The votes were pretty overwhelming that this be the theme so we will work with it.

Samhain(sow-en) is the Sabbat that honors our ancestors and contact those lost loved ones as the veil is thinnest on this night.

Traditionally its celebrated from October 30th-November 1st. A good majority do the actually celebrating on Halloween itself.

Colors associated with Samhain: Black, orange, red, brown, yellow, silver, gold.
Foods: Apples, pumpkins, beets, gingerbread, cider, pork.
Stones: Obsidian, carnelian, onyx.
Incense/Oils: Frankincense, basil, yarrow, lilac, clove, camphor.
Plants/Herbs: Mugwort, sage, allspice, gourds, catnip, apple tree.
Symbols: Jack O'Lantern, balefire, besom, masks, Waning moon, cauldron.

*There is some basic background info on it.

*If you have a favorite recipe or graphic...please share!

Amaranth Dhanya October 17th, 2012 12:21 PM

Re: October Theme~Samhain

Here is a recipe I found on FB that is sooo cute and Halloween/Samhain themed I wanted to share....

Stuffed Jack-O-Lantern Bell Peppers

6 medium size bell peppers, any color
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 lb. ground pork

3 slices diced bacon, uncooked
1 small onion, chopped
12 oz. tomato sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup cooked white rice or brown

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.
Combine the ground beef, ground pork, bacon, onion, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix in cooked rice.
Wash the peppers, and cut jack-o'-lantern faces into the peppers with a sharp paring knife, making triangle eyes and noses, and pointy-teeth smiles. Slice off the tops of the peppers, and scoop out the seeds and cores. Stuff the peppers lightly with the stuffing mixture*, and place them into the prepared baking dish so they lean against each other.
Bake in the preheated oven until the peppers are tender and the stuffing is cooked through and juicy, about 1 hour.

*Peppers can be stuffed with your favorite stuffing recipe rather than recipe shown.

lhug_nar October 19th, 2012 01:11 PM

I don't have any recipes but the one you posted sounds good!

Amaranth Dhanya October 19th, 2012 01:17 PM

Here is a dessert recipe I found...I used desserts for my mute dinner cuz its usually just Dan and I so we dont do full on just wait til the kids are in bed and do dessert mute meal LOL.
This recipe sounds nummy tho....

Apple Butter Muffins

From Pastrywiz.com
Recipe By : Jenni Miller

2 cups flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
3/4 cup apple butter
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup skim milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup raisins or nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 F.
In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (the first 7 ingredients) and make a well in the center.
In smaller bowl, combine wet ingredients (the next 6 ingredients).
Pour wet mixture into the “well” of the dry ingredients and stir just to combine (10-15 strokes).
Fold in raisins with as few strokes as possible.
Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups (if you don’t use muffin liners, spray the pan with cooking spray). Bake 20-25 minutes, until cake tester comes out clean.
Remove muffin tin to cooling rack and cool 5 mins. before removing muffins from tin. (Do *not* let muffins cool completely in the tin.)

Carwen*Angel October 20th, 2012 06:30 AM

Love the pepper lantern idea!!

Carwen*Angel October 22nd, 2012 03:28 AM

I posted a nice spell I used in 2010 and will use again this year in Pagan References - for happiness and luck over the coming year, and it's a great way of using the pumpkinseeds if you're carving pumpkins!
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f4...l#post26680358

And here's one about how I made my witch's ladder last Samhain, everything I wished for on the ladder came to pass.
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f4...l#post26680364

Hope these are helpful!

kaydee78 March 9th, 2013 04:19 AM

Being in the other hemisphere we are about to celebrate Samhain, definately going to do the apple muffins, sounds awesome!! Love your spells Lady Valkyrie, going to base one of my own on them.