JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Paper Scrapbooking (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f190-paper-scrapbooking/)
-   -   Newbie to scrapping! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f190-paper-scrapbooking/1979665-newbie-to-scrapping.html)

Urchin May 16th, 2010 05:22 AM

Newbie to scrapping!

Hey guys... I've been lurking here for a few weeks, and I thought I would introduce myself.

I'm Rae, and I am currently "getting back into" scrapbooking. I want to do things right, so I have a few questions.

First, what kind/brand of adhesive do you use? Right now, all I have is a acid-free glue runner from wal-mart. It's ok, but I am wondering if there are other options for embellishments, etc. We don't have much for scrapping stores right now, but there is a Michael's being built here this summer!.

Second, I LOVE the look of diecut letters, like from the Cricut for example. Would you guys reccommend the pruchase of a cricut machine, or is there a different system you prefer?

Thanks for your help. I am sure I will have lots of questions along the way. I'll be sure to stick around and maybe even share some of my pages :)

mommy2DnD May 16th, 2010 07:45 AM

Re: Newbie to scrapping!

welcome!!

i shop at Michaels and AC Moore. i use this tab square things to stick my stuff to the pages. i used a glue runner before and didn't like it. i like the squares b/c they stick REALLY well and u can cut them if need be.

i absolutely LOVE my cricut and i don't know how i scrapbooked without it all these years (DH bought it for me for my birthday last summer). i plan to go back and redo some pages that need a little Cricut work ;-) if you can afford to get one, a cricut is a nice investment, i think.

Urchin May 16th, 2010 08:21 AM

Thanks!

I have a confession to make... right after I made this post, I did a little more looking into the Cricut...went in to Wal-Mart and saw that they had one left, and bought it! teehee.

DH says I need a hobby, so no complaints from him over this purchase :) I've been playing around with it, and it is SO neat! I am really excited to get scrapping!

I'll look in to glue squares too!

Carrie429 May 16th, 2010 10:07 AM

Hi Rae and welcome! Iím Carrie - Mommy to Caden (3) and Parker (4mo) and one of the cohosts on this board. Iím glad youíve decided to get back into scrapping!

For adhesive I use a few different things depending where I can get to. I have glue glider pro that I like but have had issues finding refills. There is a cheapo runner from Walmart Iíll grab when Iím there and works great, but usually I really like the scrapbook adhesive runners.

As for buying a die cutting machine I personally love my cricut and would suggest it to anyone. It really got me back into scrapping and I love all the different things you can do with it. Better yet cartridges and even machine prices have really come down so itís a lot more reasonable, too. Congrats on buying one!! It really is a lot of fun and I think you'll love it - it does get a little addicting though ;)

Feel free to join in our crop (the challenges posted on the board) and we also have a scrapping and posting challenge going on right now, too, which prizes are sent out for.

I look forward to seeing you around more and hope to see a few of your layouts!

C&K'sMama May 16th, 2010 10:42 AM

Hey! I was "getting back into" scrapbooking when I joined this board too... Now I'm a full blown addict!! I've gotten somewhere in the range of 40 or 50 pages done since January (and I have a special needs child and a newborn). Love it. Jump right in to the crop if you have a chance. These ladies are really inspirational!!

Which cricut machine did you get?? (I love my create)

babyloves2dance May 16th, 2010 03:24 PM

Hi and welcome to the board!!! My name is Kelsey, DH is Jason, DD is Kendra and have one on the way due June 7th (but I think he could come at any time). I was trying to get back into scrapbooking when I joined this group too, and I think they are the most wonderful and inspirational group of women!!

So glad to hear that you got a Cricut!! I got one for Christmas last year and absolutely LOVE it!!

As for adhesives....I have all different kinds. The one I use most are the photo squares (cut in half to make them last longer). I also have a Dotto (but I think those have been discontinued). Others that I have that I don't use too much are a tape runner and spray adhesive.

I definitely agree with the other girls on jumping in on the online crop. It is a great way to get going again!

Can't wait to see some of your pages!!!

Tamaralynnb May 16th, 2010 07:35 PM

Hi Rae and welcome,

I am Tamara, mom to 3 boys Ryland (5) Tristan (2.5) and Holden (almost 4 months) i am married to my wonderful DH Richard and a SAHM. I am also your co-host here with Carrie. I hope you enjoy our board

i use glue dots and lines to adhere embellishments and i use Fiskars adhesive squares for my photos. i have the cricut expression and i love it, you can do alot with it and Michaels will often have the cartridges on sale, and i noticed that the wal-mart bu me rolled them back to 69 from 90 but like i said wait for a sale and they are cheaper. i hope you will start a gallery and post some of your pages for us to see.