JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Paper Scrapbooking (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f190-paper-scrapbooking/)
-   -   So lost!!!! Heat embossing (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f190-paper-scrapbooking/1988579-so-lost-heat-embossing.html)

babyloves2dance May 24th, 2010 11:15 AM

So lost!!!! Heat embossing

I really want to try heat embossing, but I feel so lost when it comes to what I should have and what to do with it. I mean....embossing powder, pearl ex, glitters, distressing powder, micro beads.....do you use each of these differently?? I just don't even know where to start!! I have a heating tool, a versa mark pad, and one of those no static pads but that is it. What else do I need? Where/how do I get started?? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! TIA!!!

C&K'sMama May 24th, 2010 01:34 PM

Re: So lost!!!! Heat embossing

I can't offer any advice cause I'm right there with you, it all looks like a lot of work and tools

mandalyn May 24th, 2010 01:51 PM

I'll be watching this thread. I have no idea, but it looks like there is a lot involved!!

ASailorsWife May 24th, 2010 02:26 PM

Ok someone needs to chime in and tell us all how to heat emboss! LOL I really wanna know how too.

:shrugs:

C&K'sMama May 24th, 2010 05:26 PM

LMBO... anyone here know how??

babyloves2dance May 24th, 2010 05:40 PM

Okay, so after doing a lot of research on an extremely slow computer (the 45+ mph winds we were having were making things pretty slow), and then losing everything I typed once already.....this is what I have found on BASIC heat embossing:

You will need:
A heat tool
versamark ink (or similar)
embossing powder
your stamp
a static removal cloth (optional)
a tray or paper to catch the loose powder

What you do:
-Rub your paper with the static removal cloth if you have one, if not you can skip this step.
-Stamp your image using the versamark (or similar) ink.
-Pour some embossing powder onto your stamped image.
-Tap off excess powder into a tray or onto a paper - then transfer back into original container.
-Using your heat tool (holding far enough away that you don't burn your paper), heat your stamped/powdered image until it is completely melted. Be careful not to over heat or you will lose the shine in your embossing powder.
-Let cool.

Doesn't sound too hard! Now for all the other powders, beads, glitters, etc. - I will have to do more research on those. I will post more info as I find it (unless someone else gets to it first).

Here is a video on basic heat embossing. She does it both with the versamark type ink and a pigment ink. YouTube - How to Emboss using embossing powders and a heatgun

babyloves2dance May 24th, 2010 06:01 PM

Basic embossing powder VS Distress embossing powder:

Basic embossing powder has a glossy finish and doesn't "release" from the paper.

Distress embossing powder has a matte finish and contains release crystals which will release from the paper to give it a distressed look.

Here is a video on Distress embossing powder: YouTube - Discover Distress Embossing Powders with Tim Holtz

babyloves2dance May 24th, 2010 07:05 PM

Microbeads and Glitter:

From what I can find, these just get glued to your paper - no heat tool required and really don't have anything to do with heat embossing.

Here are some videos:
(glitter) YouTube - Meg's Versamark Resist Tutorial
(microbeads) YouTube - Vintage Vogue Accordian Fold Card Stampin Up

Carrie429 May 24th, 2010 09:38 PM

I love heat embossing but have only done it with the embossing powders. A nice heat gun is worth the investment imo. I just do it as Kelsey posted and pay attention to not holding it too close as I have burned paper before and if you don't burn it, it could cause the paper to curl. Another thing you might want to have on hand is some tongs or tweezers especially if embossing something small as it can get pretty hot on your fingers otherwise. Buying nice, quality embossing powders is wise, too - you can see a difference. I bought some powders from an ebay seller that were reasonable and nice (I'd have to look up the name) and then the SU! ones are nice, too. Make sure you get the powder onto your image before it dries to get complete coverage - and pigment ink will work, too. I also use a fine brush sometimes to brush any excess powder off that tapping might not remove.