JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pet Owners and Animal Lovers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f91-pet-owners-and-animal-lovers/)
-   -   Humane Society (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f91-pet-owners-and-animal-lovers/2347733-humane-society.html)

AMiner86 June 10th, 2011 06:56 PM

Humane Society

So I've decided to start volunteering at our local Humane Society. I've donated some items in the past, but this time I want to donate my time so I was wondering if any of you have done any work with your local Human Society or any other animal organizations in your community? If so, what have your experiences been like?

SpazTaz June 10th, 2011 09:45 PM

Re: Humane Society

Yep. I foster for a breed specific rescue. Experience has been fabulous I absolutely LOVE it.

When I was a teen I volunteered at the county animal control (ie pound), it was hard, but it was rewarding.

angelsailor288 June 11th, 2011 09:14 AM

I used to foster for Springer Spaniel rescue. It was very rewarding :)

~ Nicole ~ June 21st, 2011 01:16 PM

I dont particularly like our local human society or any kill shelters for that matter. Now I understand they are necessary to a point but they too often put down animals that have common "animal colds" or other minor thing or are "too old" wich could very easily and cheaply be treated. I found over the years many stray cats who I would care for several months, nursing them back to health and getting them in better physical condition so they would be adoptable. I than braught them to our local Human Society so someone could adopt them and every single one was put down when they contracted a simple respitory infection. It probably would have cost less to treat the infection than the cost of putting the animal down. After months of care for these kitties to help them get a home they just euthinized them. Thanks a lot Humane society. It really crushed me and I feel guilty about taking them there to this day. I wish I would have just tried to find them homes on my own. Dont bring your beloved pets there if you ever need to give them up thats for sure. I dont think I could cope with volunteering at a kill shelter. You will have to care for animals and see when they dissapear and you will find out that the wonderful dog and cats whose cages you were cleaning just the day before were euthinized. I remember going there to look at dogs and one of the volunteers/workers was telling me wich dogs were on there last day and that if no one took them that they would be euthinized the next morning. I walked out of there with a death row dog! My advice is I would find out wether they are no kill or not. Because you will end up loving these animals that you work with and it will take an emotional toll. I would seek out a no kill shelter if I were to volunteer.