JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pet Owners and Animal Lovers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f91-pet-owners-and-animal-lovers/)
-   -   Has anyone tried the thundershirt for storm anxiety? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f91-pet-owners-and-animal-lovers/2590239-has-anyone-tried-thundershirt-for-storm-anxiety.html)

goldylox October 30th, 2012 12:16 PM

Has anyone tried the thundershirt for storm anxiety?

I have a small dog that is terrified of storms. I have been using benedryl and it does seem to take the edge off of things, but I was thinking about trying the thundershirt. I've read good things about it and they do offer a money back guarantee, but wanted to see if it's worth trying or if anyone has other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Surrounded October 31st, 2012 10:36 PM

Re: Has anyone tried the thundershirt for storm anxiety?

I haven't bought one but I intend to for my girl. I have met many people who use them whether it be for home use during storms or to be able to take their dog to pet events and I haven't heard anyone complain about it not helping.

goldylox November 1st, 2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrounded (Post 26718687)
I haven't bought one but I intend to for my girl. I have met many people who use them whether it be for home use during storms or to be able to take their dog to pet events and I haven't heard anyone complain about it not helping.

Thanks. I've been on the fence for months. Please let me know if you get one and how it works.

BaileysFourtune November 13th, 2012 06:29 PM

I tried one for my girl and it dint work and I work at a kennel and it works for half the dogs we put it on so I would say 50 50 shot

Arya November 23rd, 2012 06:52 AM

My Siberian Husky is terrified of thunder and fireworks. I saw the Thundershirt advertisement on TV so I was curious about it too. I went ahead and put one of my husband's shirts on him, and it worked like a charm. He instantly calmed down, and went to sleep, like nothing was happening. I was speechless! Now, every time it happens, I put the shirt on him and he's fine. I would suggest you try any shirt on your dog first, to see if that will work, before paying money for a Thundershirt.

thh20 January 17th, 2013 09:19 PM

We bought one for our dog, who hates fireworks or anything that generates smoke (candles, incense, etc...). It didn't work for her. Neither did the Rescue Remedy. More recently, I bought some lavender essential oil (a suggestion that Cesar Millan made in one of his episodes to calm a stressed dog) . I put a few drops on my hands, rub it to warm it up, then let her sniff my hands and give her a bit of a massage. Works well! When I groom her (which she doesn't enjoy), I let her sniff the oil, and you can see her nervousness dissipate.

ameliabedelia March 4th, 2013 08:04 PM

I got my dog one, and it didn't help much BUT he has serious issues likely stemming from previous abuse, and we didn't do much else in the way of training when he wore it, so that's probably why. I know a lot of people who got great use out of it!