JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pet Owners and Animal Lovers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f91-pet-owners-and-animal-lovers/)
-   -   My puppy isnt eating:/ (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f91-pet-owners-and-animal-lovers/2701534-my-puppy-isnt-eating.html)

Rainbow Momma January 4th, 2014 07:31 AM

My puppy isnt eating:/

But i finally figued out why! We knew he was kind of teething so we've been adding water to his food to soften it up but today i looked in his mouth and one of his teeth are really wobbly! Must be because he's about to loose that tooth (which is why he doesnt want to eat since it must hurt him), just never thought of dogs having baby teeth..makes sense tho!

laleighpop January 7th, 2014 03:41 PM

Re: My puppy isnt eating:/

Yeah, growing up my aunt and uncle had LOTS of dogs (uncle was a trainer) and they would find puppy teeth all over the house. When my dog was a puppy hers all fell out at the same time (never found them though???) and she had the RANKEST breath!!! We had to keep little doggie breath mints around it was just awful!

Rainbow Momma January 8th, 2014 01:25 PM

Lol what i dont get is some people like that puppy breath!! im sooo glad my puppy has gotten rid of that awful smelling breath!

I read that puppies generally just swallow their teeth because i havent found one either which is weird

laleighpop January 10th, 2014 10:21 AM

I do love the smell of puppy breath... just before they get into the teeth losing stage lol

Rainbow Momma January 10th, 2014 12:33 PM

My S/O thinks its cute too..def not for me! lol

AshleyMartinez February 4th, 2014 12:12 PM

I'm happy for you :) I think you should try giving him milk instead of something he needs to chew so that it wouldn't hurt too much.

meghan.cearley February 8th, 2014 08:41 AM

Hi, I'm brand new to this board. I've been a vet tech for 10 years and a dog trainer for 4. Losing puppy teeth can be a very uncomfortable time for the pups! And it can definitely change their eating habits! Offering softer food during this time period is a great idea. I would be a little cautious about milk though. Many dogs and cats are lactose intolerant. Their bodies were not built to digest cows milk. And after puppies are weaned, their bodies really don't require dairy at all. So if you would like to give milk, only give a tiny amount to make sure it doesn't make your puppy sick. Definitely make sure your puppy is getting enough water though!! Believe it or not, chewing on appropriate items will actually help your pup. Chewing is the natural way dogs help teeth fall out and chewing will help the adult teeth come in and set properly in the jaw.

Here are a few tips I've learned along the way:
1 - Always have appropriate chew toys available to the puppy. When they get the urge to chew they will definitely find something to chew on. Having appropriate chew toys out will save your couch, shoes, remote control, etc...

2 - Cold feels good!!! So get a toy you can throw in the freezer! Your pup will be grateful!!

3 - ice cubes and frozen carrots are delightfully cheap treats!!! Dogs love the crunchiness of ice cubes and carrots when teething! When introducing carrots, only give a small piece and wait 24 hours to make sure it doesn't upset your puppy's stomach. This is a good rule of thumb whenever you introduce any new food or treats. Carrots are not very digestible (think more along the lines of fiber or corn for humans) so don't be surprised if you see some orange in your dog's stool!

I'm sorry this post is coming about a month late. But I'm hoping maybe it will help! Puppies typically teeth between 5 - 7 months of age and then again around 10 - 12 months of age. The teeth that come in close to a year old are the huge 3 root molars in the way back of the jaw - that is a really tough teething time!!

Rainbow Momma February 10th, 2014 12:18 PM

wow! thanks for all the info! my puppy is 6 months old today:) so im sure he's not through the teethign process yet!

mkt802 March 13th, 2014 07:15 AM

Soft chew treats helped my dog when she had teething issues.

KristyHouck July 20th, 2014 08:49 AM

Consult with veterinary doctor immediately.