JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Post Partum Depression (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f125-post-partum-depression/)
-   -   What now?? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f125-post-partum-depression/1770402-what-now.html)

andi2284 November 12th, 2009 12:26 PM

What now??

I'm so fustrated! I finally decided to address my issues with my doctor at my yearly appointment last week and she diagnosed me with depression. I've been struggling with this since a little after my first daughter was born and it took me well over a year to even consider that it could be depression. The past few months, things have gotten worse, to the point that I knew I HAD to get help. So I sucked it up and asked for help. The doctor sent in someone from the hospital to do an initial evaluation and she recommeded I try a partial hospitalization program there. It sounds like it would be a big help, but my insurance won't cover anything until we hit our deductible, which is still a few thousand dollars. We're struggling financially as it is, we just can't afford it.

So where do I go from here? She didn't prescribe me anything, but said she felt I will need something to help me get out of this. I think she was just assuming that I would do the partial hospitalization, which includes seeing a psychiatrist and getting medication if you need it. After a few phone calls, I finally found a psychiatrist in my area that I can see. It feels strange to even consider seing a psychiatrist, it makes me feel like I'm crazy :( Who else would be a good for dealing with depression? Do I need to go to a psychiatrist to get medication if I need it? I always assumed your regular doctor prescribed medication for depression and you would see a counselor on the side if you felt it was necessary. Help! I feel so lost and confused with what I should do!

silverlife November 13th, 2009 07:19 AM

Re: What now??

Some regular doctors will prescribe antidepressants. But it is kind of out of their expertise. Most doctors I've been to will give a referral to psychiatrist rather than prescribing something. From my experience, psychiatrists don't really do therapy, they just focus on finding the right anti-depressant for you and the right dosage. They tend to know better than a family doctor (or OB) about side effects.

Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you.

JessP November 14th, 2009 08:35 AM

I had a counselor for my PPD. But I am also active duty military so my regular doctor prescribed medicine for me. I hope you are able to get the help you need and pull yourself through this. It is so hard especially when you have to add other stressors to the mix. :dothug: I hope the psychiatrist helps.

andi2284 November 30th, 2009 10:06 PM

I have my first appointment with a psychiatrist tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous, but relieved to finally be getting some help. Thank you for the responses!

JessP December 1st, 2009 09:33 PM

I am so glad you are going to the Dr. Oh that was today. How did it go? Do you feel better or that they can help at least? I hope so. Let us know.