JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Potty Training (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f119-potty-training/)
-   -   I don't feel like potty training! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f119-potty-training/2575238-i-dont-feel-like-potty-training.html)

babyjiva September 19th, 2012 01:17 PM

I don't feel like potty training!

I'm teasing, sort of. I feel all alone in being so lazy about potty training. My daughter will be 2 in 2 months. She can count to ten, knows all of her capital letters, shapes, coins, colors, animals, animals sounds and has been talking in complete sentences since she was 16 months… not trying to brag here, just saying---- she caught on to everything quickly so she'd probably be easy to potty train early but I'm feeling no push to do it. I don't mind the diapering, we get a good deal on natural diapers. I guess I figure it'll be easier when she nears 3. is that true and is there any reason I should be working on it now? i feel like there must be because most people start around 2. thanks!

amberjolie September 23rd, 2012 07:35 PM

Re: I don't feel like potty training!

My first two were trained at 3 (after starting at 2), but I was pretty laid back about it as well. My third took longer (he was 4), but he's always been a more strong willed child.

I would suggest approaching it in a relaxed way. If you did want to start her now, just ask from time to time if she wants to try going on the potty. If not, no big deal.

I did hear from someone that she found her kids were fully trained when they were 3, regardless of whether she started at 18 months, or at 3 years old. So maybe there's truth to that idea.

OatmealKisses August 10th, 2013 07:29 AM

My son will be 2 next month and I'm thinking of waiting until 2.5 now. I thought i'd try at 2, but he is 99% nonverbal, so I don't think it would work

tania1 September 2nd, 2013 10:17 PM

I had a very hard time getting my boy potty trained, but a friend talked me about a great app (potty training learning with the animals).
Never thought that something like that would work, but it did!
I can really recommend it to every parent who has trouble potty training their kid

Becca M. April 15th, 2014 11:38 AM

You'll be surprised how easily they take to it, but it must be on their terms- starting too early = disaster!

OurPottyTrainingTips April 21st, 2014 01:27 AM

Hi babyjiva;

There's no hard and fast rule for potty training but it would be best to wait until you're ready. Yes, most families will wait till their toddler is around the age of 2 but if the parent (and any other guardian) is not ready to teach their toddler how to use the potty then it's a recipe for disaster (as Becca M mentioned).

Wait until your are both in the right frame of mind to get into this. It's not hard (for most toddlers/parents), just takes time and patience and it seems that you're not ready for that just yet :)

When you are ready and you're looking for some tips or articles that you've not found elsewhere, why not pop over to ourpottytrainingtips . com. Hopefully, you won't need any help but if you do, we're here (and there) for you.

Edit: just noticed the original post is 2 years old - hopefully, everything went well :D

gansay.tamora April 21st, 2014 09:02 AM

I would say if something is expected then for a kid a training is must i.e. potty training and there can be no better training then Carwyn Turbo Potty Training. Just google it and see, what I am talking about.

V1CT0R1A May 3rd, 2014 02:23 PM

I read this on wikihow - it has a couple of good things in it but really doesn't cover all the bases. How to Potty Train Your Child: 26 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
I hope its easier than it looks.

rachelc0 May 5th, 2014 07:59 AM

i strongly believe to let the kids decide when potty training should start. with my oldest, he was completely potty trained before his third birthday. but he was ready, and with help from daycare, we slowly but surely did it. my daycare provider also mentioned that he was the first boy she ever had to be completely trained before his third birthday.

with my second son, he is 2.5 and although he is showing signs he may be ready soon, we haven't started it yet. we have a new baby due in a few weeks, but don't want to rush him out of diapers.

SimplyMomOf2 May 7th, 2014 04:18 PM

I agree with others that you need to wait until you as the potty trainer is ready and completely committed to potty training. It's either 100% or not at all. Doing it at 50% only confuses the child and prolongs the process and most likely will frustrate both of you. So, ensure that you are 100% committed to seeing it through.

Also, be sure that you stay positive. If you aren't "feeling it" then it may be difficult to stay positive during the process. Staying positive is crucial to the child learning the new behavior being taught to them.

I can say, from personal experience, potty training is not fun, but it is soooo worthwhile. If you need help being motivated, think of saving money, the independence your child gains, saving time by not changing diapers, and saving your hands from a nasty mess! For some fantastic tips and methods, I recommend checking out simplypottytrain . com.

Good luck!!

leslylim May 10th, 2014 07:10 AM

At first I really had a hard time convincing my baby to use a potty. I always had to clean up all the mess that she makes. But then I came upon this web page "Carwyn Turbo Potty Training"

debbi johns May 14th, 2014 04:15 PM

Have some experience with carwyn turbo potty training and found it worked wonders for us.