JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Potty Training (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f119-potty-training/)
-   -   Negative remarks about my 3 year old not being potty trained. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f119-potty-training/2603252-negative-remarks-about-my-3-year-old-not-being-potty-trained.html)

KeLLiC09 December 7th, 2012 10:30 AM

Negative remarks about my 3 year old not being potty trained.

I've heard boys are harder to potty train. And some don't become potty trained until they are about 4 years old. We have a potty seat for him and he's used it twice in 1 day. Any time we bring it up to him, he will literally throw a fit! On the ground, screaming. I don't know what to do. People are saying to let him run around naked. I can't do that. I can't go around cleaning my carpets 24/7. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kelz88 December 7th, 2012 04:29 PM

Re: Negative remarks about my 3 year old not being potty trained.

Hmmmm how about getting his daddy to show him how to pee like a big boy? Since he is three he may be more open to that. My boys were iffy with the potty until their dad showed them how to pee standing up.

I must warn you though, Aim comes later! so set him up on some tile :)

artisticmind December 20th, 2012 11:02 AM

honestly he may not be ready. I have a 3yr old who just potty trained this fall so he was closer to 3.5 yrs. I tried forever to get him interested in it. We bought him a potty chair and set it in the bathroom probably between 18mo and 2 years old. He would use it occasionally but not consistently. Then we started working with him on at least sitting on it and going before getting in the bathtub. Seemed to work and he would go potty on his own while I was running his bath. We didn't have any really good progress with potty training for quite a while, i would say almost a year. I was determined to have him potty trained this past summer and tried everything. hid the diapers, gave him undies only, let him run around bottomless, bribing him with candy, etc. He just wasn't interested.

Then in August it finally clicked with him at going potty on the toilet. Pooping was a whole other story. We finally decided to try another bribe, something we knew he wanted. He's into Thomas the Train and loves Percy but he'd never gotten a Percy train so we bought one and took a pic of it, put the train up in the closet, and taped the pics next to the toilets so every time he went he had a reminder and he'd always say "I want to play with Percy" and we'd remind him that when he pooped in the toilet he would get Percy to play with. It took probably 2.5-3 weeks before he gathered the courage and pooped on the toilet. We made a huge deal out of it and he got his train. We had a few poop accidents after that but i think the feeling of having dirty undies finally got to him, he was really good at coming up to us and telling us he pooped his undies, and he eventually started pooping in the toilet and the frequency of accidents dwindled and I can't remember for sure, but I think we've been accident-free (both poop and pee) since October. It just took him being ready to do it himself because no amount of prodding from me or daddy was getting the job done.

PottyTrainer January 20th, 2013 03:54 PM

He may simply not be ready. I think it is more important to observe signs in his behavior rather than feel pressured to have him potty trained because of his age. There is a good sticky post in this forum about knowing when a child is ready for potty training.

ERose January 20th, 2013 05:23 PM

My 3yr old daughter isn't potty trained yet either. We've been at it on/off since she was 2 & been really trying to knuckle down on it this past week...I say don't try & force him, just lots of positive encouragment!
My daughter is similar, she's been pretty difficult...but I've been patient & letting her do things in her own time. Today she's been pulling her pants down & going on the potty by herself trying to go pee pee & I've just been praising her big time! She hasn't actually gone in it yet, but I know its gonna happen!
All children are different, they excel at different things & struggle with different things. I'm sure your lil one will get it soon!

daycaremommy03 February 3rd, 2013 05:51 PM

Hi there. I can definitely empathize with you on this. I am a mom of two boys and a girl, as well as a child care provider who has potty trained more than 30 children in my career. Boys can definitely be late potty trainers and stubborn ones at that. The reason is that boys are very active and don't like stopping what they are doing to go to the potty.

But one thing I have learned in dealing with almost every child personality you can imagine is that ALL children have a currency. Once you figure out what his is, you can train him.

I have a secret trick I use to potty train my kids. To save my furniture and floors and still let him be able to "feel" the wetness that is necessary to train him, put underwear on him then a pullup over the underwear. That way he will feel the wetness and not like it, trust me.

For a few days, don't even mention the potty thing, just put the underwear and pullup on him and let him come tell you when he wants to be changed. Trust me, it won't take long. Each time he does, take him to the bathroom and dump the contents into the toilet and say, "Poop goes in the potty, not in the underwear." You can't do this with pee but you can still take him to the bathroom and say it.

Also, a trick I used with my stubborn kids who didn't want to get on the potty:

Fill a small tub (bucket) with warm water and a few toys. ONLY let him play with those special toys when he sits on the potty. Two things will happen. He will want to play with those toys because they are different and not his usual type of toys. Also, the warm water will make him have to pee eventually and he will not even realize it. This may take a few times but most boys I know (heck most kids I know) love to play in water and definitely want things they don't usually get to have. It's the mysterious factor.

Another thing you can do, once you get him to sit on the potty, is position his bottom all the way at the back of the toilet seat so his legs do not dangle below. This will allow his muscles to relax more and he will be able to go.

I have more tips and tricks to get your child potty trained in my book Welcome to Poop Camp - The Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth about Potty Training on Amazon. Hope this helps and good luck!

moxiemommie May 22nd, 2013 12:52 PM

I likr banned daycare mommys answer. My suggestion would be to make it fun for them. I taught my first who is 3 now, by letting him flush the toilet, then giving him a treat or do something special. My second, just turned two this month and started taking his diapers off on his own. I sat him down a few times but hes honestly potty trained himself. Another thing, I never madr the potty a big deal. Never asked him if he wanted to go potty until he was trained. Id just sit him on the potty without asking and wed sing a song or read a short story. Id let him flush weather he went or not. Pretty soon he got to the point where he would go in the br. Put the potty seat in thw toilet , go, get down, flush the toilet id wipe him, hed wash his hands, wed say yay and clap he and i both and that was that lol. Good luck. Just take it slow. If he throws a fit just stop, take a few months then start again and dont even bring it up. Just sit him on there read a book sing a song let him flush lol have fun with it.

Greenhorn85 November 12th, 2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moxiemommie (Post 27386131)
I likr banned daycare mommys answer. My suggestion would be to make it fun for them. I taught my first who is 3 now, by letting him flush the toilet, then giving him a treat or do something special. My second, just turned two this month and started taking his diapers off on his own. I sat him down a few times but hes honestly potty trained himself. Another thing, I never madr the potty a big deal. Never asked him if he wanted to go potty until he was trained. Id just sit him on the potty without asking and wed sing a song or read a short story. Id let him flush weather he went or not. Pretty soon he got to the point where he would go in the br. Put the potty seat in thw toilet , go, get down, flush the toilet id wipe him, hed wash his hands, wed say yay and clap he and i both and that was that lol. Good luck. Just take it slow. If he throws a fit just stop, take a few months then start again and dont even bring it up. Just sit him on there read a book sing a song let him flush lol have fun with it.

Making it fun is definitely a good way to do this. Kids love to do things that they think is fun or which you (as the parent) perceive is fun. Give him treats for using the bathroom properly. The reward system works extremely well if you're consistent with it. And don't wait too long before rewarding them because kids love to see instantaneous results from their efforts. Keeping them on a leash for too long a time might cause them to lose interest. Consistency is key here!

MommyofAngels1985 January 21st, 2014 07:56 PM

My oldest turns 3 in three weeks and we are still working with her. She is doing better now though, Last Saturday she went 4 times, Sunday 5 times, Monday 2 times and today she went 5 times. And about half of those times she tells us she has to go "pee pee". When she goes she dances and claps her hands with me, then she runs straight to the candy jar and grabs 1-3 M&M's :p. I'm hoping if this keeps up we can put her in her padded underwear and then into her big girl underwear when she is full trained.

She started going in the potty when she turned 2 and was doing okay but after her sister was born she kind of regressed but now she is back on track :).