JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Preemies/NICU (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f39-preemies-nicu/)
-   -   Is it normal to feel like this? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f39-preemies-nicu/2378891-normal-to-feel-like.html)

Megxta July 22nd, 2011 08:39 PM

Is it normal to feel like this?

I love seeing my baby and watching her grow everyday don't get me wrong. But a large part of ke is mourning the pregnancy I will no longer get to have. I don't know if because this was my last pregnancy or what but the other day I cried and cried over it. I know its a little crazy but I really wanted that big belly and to feel her be so big I could just feel her stretching not just kicking. I had really cute maternity pics lined up with my daughter. It just really hit me a couple of days a go.

Seattlite July 23rd, 2011 08:10 AM

Re: Is it normal to feel like this?

Unfortunately, yes, what you're feeling is completely normal. I still feel like I was robbed of 3 months of my pregnancy with Jim. When he was in the NICU, seeing other pregnant women on the street would sometimes set me over the edge--I kept thinking, "That should be me, I should look like that right now."

:dothug: This is one of the reasons I wouldn't wish a preemie on my worst enemy. :(

Chatterbox July 23rd, 2011 08:57 AM

Absolutely! I still have those feelings when I am around other pregnant women who are experiencing all the kicks and movement and last months of their pregnancy. I didn't feel my son much at all because of an anterior placenta, so I really feel like I missed out on quite a bit. We missed out on maternity pictures, our second 3D ultrasound, and being pregnant at my baby shower. *hugs*

army_wife1008 July 23rd, 2011 01:48 PM

Yes it is so very normal to feel that way. I am experiencing this for the second time around now and it's even harder this time because I know I will never EVER get that normal pregnancy. At least after my first pregnancy, I thought MAYBE I would get to be pregnant one day. And then like Tami, I had an anterior placenta with this pregnancy and so I really feel like I missed out :(

8miraclez July 23rd, 2011 07:08 PM

I feel that way, especially when people make stupid comments like "you're so lucky you got to skip the uncomfortable part". I want to be uncomfortable! My baby is home now but it's still not past her due date and I still feel robbed. What's even harder is that my Nephews baby is due the same day I was due. It doesn't get easier the more preemies you have either.

jml July 24th, 2011 04:28 AM

I still feel cheated, and Declan is 9.5 months old... the worst of it seemed to his around 2-3d PP, and the nurses explained it was b/c of the hormones. Strangely I wasn't too upset when I was discharged and had to go home without him, but around the 5 week mark I fell apart. Thank goodness for my hubby, without him I'm not sure if I would have survived...

I still get twinges of jealousy for very pregnant women. I may never experience it again, and it's tough for me to think about what "could have been". *hugs*

tetchy July 25th, 2011 04:56 AM

I've felt everything mentioned above. Pregnancy does not agree with me. I felt like garbage the whole time. But, after delivery I felt so empty and cheated. I envied everyone still in my DUEdateclub. I'll probably never know what the last month of pregnancy looks like or feels like to me. It's very sad.

You're not alone!

Megxta July 25th, 2011 01:39 PM

Thank you. Im glad that it is normal to feel like this. I feel a little better today but I am sure that I will continue to mourn the pregnancy to some extent all the time. Thank you for the hugs I needed them. :dothug: BACK!!

~Laurie~ August 3rd, 2011 07:14 PM

I definitely feel this. I often find myself waiting for a kick, like when I am lying on the couch watching TV, and when I realize that it's not going to happen it makes me want to cry. I wish I could let it go because I don't want to seem ungrateful to have her, if you see what I mean?

SarahBethsMommy August 4th, 2011 06:57 AM

Laurie and others,
This feeling is completely normal. Laurie, I know you understand grief about losing a baby completely, so think of it like this. You aren't grieving your baby now, she is alive and growing and doing well, but you ARE grieving the loss of the "normal" pregnancy and delivery. You are grieving what should have been. That is FINE and totally normal to do.

I still get SUPER jealous to see a big fat and uncomfortable pregnant woman. I never got that, never will. I miss being uncomfortable. I wish I'd been able to get to that stage.

craftymommy1108 August 17th, 2011 04:15 PM

yes it is normal. It was really hard for me because my best friend at the time was only one month ahead of me in her pregnant and I had to watch her be pregnant, experience everything i didn't and have a normal birth, and then when she had her daughter i felt so empty while she carried her newborn around with people cooing over her and my baby was stuck at the hospital. i felt like this for a long time afterwards, and felt like I was totally robbed of the pregnancy especially when they said I couldn't have a VBAC. I have since had another girl, and carried her until 35 weeks so I felt HUGE lol the feelings will pass as time goes on. I don't dwell on it anymore, my daughters are both healthy :)

AngelaMarie August 18th, 2011 05:34 PM

I had a crazy idea that this would be my last pregnancy and my best one. I made sure I was healthy and checked with doctors and really felt like this time I would get that normal not high risk pregnancy. I'm really struggling with feeling sad over this. I'm sure it will get better once she's home.

Seattlite August 19th, 2011 03:18 PM

Angela, it's so normal to feel that way. It does get a little easier when they come home, but for me, I haven't ever fully gotten over the loss having a full-term pregnancy with Jim. It's a real loss, and something to be grieved.

hippie hugs August 20th, 2011 01:40 PM

I agree with the other ladies - it sounds pretty normal. This was one of my biggest struggles when Roan was born, and something I still face during his stay in the NICU. It's definitely hard when I see pregnant ladies on the street :( and I also get the feeling that that should be me.