JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Is this possible? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/152915-possible.html)

PamG February 16th, 2006 05:19 AM

I had a m/c on Jan. 19, 05 (at 14 weeks) and a d&c Jan. 20, 05. Dh and I had unprotected sex once on approx. Jan. 29.

I felt strange so took a preg. test last night and it was positive.

My question is, could it just be leftover hcg f/ the pregnancy or could I really be pregnant again?

We were NOT trying. I wanted/needed to wait a few months before trying again.

I called an on call nurse and she said that hcg after a completed m/c coulg be in our body UP TO 4 weeks after.

But, your hcg starts dropping I thought after a certain amount of weeks and if I remember right my dr said I was definitely at the point where the hcg started dropping.

I'm calling my dr today and someone else suggested I try to get them to see me for a quantitive blood test. My drs. office isn't too cooperative, so how do I nicely demand them to see me!?!

What do you all think? Anyone's experience?

Thank you

Pam

JCat February 16th, 2006 07:50 AM

It's certinly posible. But so is the posiblity that it's left over hcg.

I know 3 weeks after my D&C that I no longer came up + on a hpt. I don't know when it stopped being + because I didn't test before.

There's a lady on the Febuary boards who got pregnant right away after her m/c but didn't have a D&C. She now has a healthy baby boy. So it's posible to get pregnant right after a m/c.

If your doctor had said your levels were dropping there's a good chance you are pregnant again but remember some tests are really sensitive and might detect a falling number. If you can't get a quantitive test wait a few weeks and then test with a regular home pregnancy test.

Good luck. I hope you get your doctors appointment and the answers you want.

soontobemommyto3 February 16th, 2006 08:06 AM

Since you only had sex 9-10 days after you m/c it is doubtful you are pregnant again this soon. Although there is a chance. Most likely it is left over HCG from the m/c. However I took a pregnant test about 3 weeks after I lost my baby and it came back neg (first time I was ever happy to see a neg hpt!).

Wait a little longer and see what happens. Or try to get your DR to do the betas

hopin4a4rth February 21st, 2006 10:44 AM

There's a chance, but it's unlikely. Have you talked w/ your Dr?? Hope you get an answer.

PamG February 22nd, 2006 04:38 AM

Yes, I talked to my dr and she ordered blood tests. Results came back yesterday as negative.

In a way I am relieved, in a way I'm sad. I know that it's way too soon and my body and emotions need time to heal.

I meet with an RE on Monday just to see what they are like and to "interview" them.

Pam

LeedaRenee February 22nd, 2006 05:26 AM

I am late in my reply, but just wanted to add that I tested about 3 weeks after my miscarriage and got a positive. I think we'd had sex one time since then. I was sure I was pregnant, but also scared. Then when I found out I wasn't, I just cried. So, I understand what you mean about being relieved and sad. Sorry for your loss.