JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Teach Me Please! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2282945-teach-me-please.html)

missy123 March 22nd, 2011 11:22 AM

Teach Me Please!

So much has happened in the past 15 years since I had Kyle. I feel like a newbie starting out all over again. Please teach me something about being pregnant, something I need to know.

Like what are all these fancy pillows I see pregnant women using?

onedaysoon March 22nd, 2011 11:28 AM

Re: Teach Me Please!

lol...by those "fancy pillows" do you mean sleep ones like the Snoogle? (which I own and LOVE...so comfortable and versatile) or like the Boppy, used for nursing or sitting baby up?

Ask me anything else, I'm still pretty fresh! lol

Shadeauxe March 22nd, 2011 11:28 AM

Are you talking about the U or C shaped pillows (Boppy)? They're supposed to help for nursing, but I've read that they aren't really great for that. They are great for bottle feeding and holding the babies higher in your lap. We had several of them and they are great. I would definitely get them again.

JessP March 22nd, 2011 11:54 AM

Well since it has and will be almost 5 years since my last baby I am a little rusty. Things have changed so much in the last 5 years. When I was at Baby's R Us when I was pregnant with CJ (angel #1) I felt so lost.
As for pregnancy stuff I am just going with the flow and trying not to screw it up :). I do love putting a pillow inbetween my knees to help relieve my hips. Oh and apple juice later on will get the baby moving :).

shen7 March 22nd, 2011 12:20 PM

Car safety has changed a lot. Car seats are the law for all little kids, they all use the LATCH system now, and just now the guidelines have been strengthened so that little ones need to be strapped down in rear-facing car seats until Age 2. Older kids need to be in front-facing seats until they are too big for them, then booster seats until they are 4'9", and kids aren't supposed to ride in the front seat until age 13 :eek: which seems crazy to me.

With the fancy car seats come fancy strollers. "Travel systems" :lol: Boy are they expensive too. You can snap the carseat into and out of it's base in the car, and into a base in the stroller, so they can stay asleep and bundled up and buckled in the entire time.

Baby carriers (for those like me who want to be more crunchy-granola and avoid the expensive strollers). These are SO MUCH MORE ADVANCED than even 5-10 years ago. The Ergo, the Beco, mei tais, etc. Think about how fancy North Face backpacks are, with all their pads and straps, and imagine that but in a super ergonomic baby carrier. These are the "soft structured carriers" (I really want one!) It is very popular to use simple slings and soft fabric wraps too, like the Moby wrap.

Oh and CLOTH DIAPERS OMG!!!!!!!!! :lol: Several of us on PAL have drunk the kool-aid on cloth diapers, it is a serious obsession when you get into it. The technology of modern cloth diapers is amazing. You have soft, breathable waterproof fabric (PUL), super absorbent new fabrics (microfiber and bamboo), and stay-dry fabrics (fleece), with many many MANY options, brands, systems, etc. Oh and they are SO CUTE and soft and fluffy ;) My mom was disgusted and horrified when I said I wanted to CD, but she was picturing rubber pants and flats and pins, and was absolutely amazed at modern diapers when I showed her some! :)

That's all I can think of right now. I'm constantly having to explain all this stuff to my mom, she keeps being shocked that not everything works exactly the way it did in 1981 :lol:

mom2moose March 22nd, 2011 01:09 PM

Car seats has probably changed the most. But if you're ever in doubt, you can go to any fire department, and they'll show you the proper way to install them. It's great! :)

Boppy's are great, I thought, for bottle feeding or just holding them. Takes some of the weight off your arms.

You for sure need a Pack N Play. My daughter practically lived in hers. It's awesome for travelling, and my DD refused to sleep in her crib, so she slept in her pack n play until she was moved to a toddler bed.

That's all I can think of right now. Thankfully, there isn't much of an age difference between my kids, so I don't really need to buy too much new stuff, other than get rid of her pink baby clothes to replace with blue boy clothes. :)

Jessica121706 March 22nd, 2011 03:35 PM

Babywearing is bigger know then ever, I plan to buy a sling soon it seems so comforting to have baby so close.

missy123 March 22nd, 2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica121706 (Post 23424658)
Babywearing is bigger know then ever, I plan to buy a sling soon it seems so comforting to have baby so close.

What is babywearing?

I feel like I have been in a cave for the past 15 years and now let out into society again!!

Children sit facing the rear of the car? How do you talk with them? How do you know that they are not picking their nose or stuffing cheerios up there?

Fancy pillows meant something you put in your bed... They are huge and take up half the bed and look so comfy!

Cloth diapers don't have pins anymore? And if you don't use plastic pants how do you keep the "waste" from leaking everywhere? Gross!

I am going to need a fireman to help me put the car seat in?

Oh boy... I am in trouble! I need a manual please.

JessP March 22nd, 2011 06:10 PM

Missy :wub: we will get through it together. Perhaps we can start a thread for each new item or something :). I will get the link for the new car seat stuff. Its on the host board.

Just_Marie March 22nd, 2011 06:37 PM

my btdt summary:

ERF-extended rear facing-keeping your toddler RF in a convertible carseat to two-is a very hot topic!

Cloth diapering(CD)-fun, but a costly obsession, and more laundry, do you really want more laundry than you have now? I cd'd #1, btdt, likely selling my stash within a few months

swings come ac powered now, buy one-its the reason we survived nb twins, seriously! Newborns don't sleep any better than they did 15 years ago;)

cribs-drop sides are out, stationary sides are in, you'll need a new crib

infant carriers-its the infant carseat, also rides rear facing in the car, you just don't feed your kids cheerios anymore driving, thus don't have to worry about sticking them up their noses. Infant carseats are a dream when grocery shopping, they click on to the cart and baby watches you while you shop-and they go to either 22lbs or 35lbs! Heaven sent!

breastfeeding, the technology hasn't changed in 2000 years, but there is alot more help if you want to do it. Bottling has changed--there are a million formula choices, and a million bottle choices, I use Avent and keep it simple, drop ins leak and Brown's are hard to clean

A stroller is a stroller is a stroller, baby will puke in the Graco just like in the Bugaboo or Peg Perego, they just cost hundreds of dollars more. Do you want a jogging stroller is the big question. I swear by BOBS.

want more? lol!

shen7 March 22nd, 2011 06:40 PM

LOL Missy :lol: You are too cute for words. :)

Yeah, "baby wearing" is a term for the practice of keeping your baby on you at almost all times in a baby carrier, like a sling, wrap, or soft structured carrier. It is great for fussy/high needs babies, for breastfeeding on demand easily, and to keep your hands free for household chores or caring for older siblings. It is the norm in many less-developed cultures but has been popularized in the West lately, in part due to the Attachment Parenting movement (which involves breastfeeding on demand, baby wearing, co-sleeping, and gentle discipline methods).

The diapers still have plastic pants, but they are such a fabric-y soft breathable plastic that it's not plastic-y at all. And instead of pins, you can use Snappis (T-shaped bendy things that hook into the fabric like those Ace bandage hooks), or many all-in-one type diapers use velcro or snaps. Yes, there are ALL IN ONE diapers, which you use JUST like disposables, except that you can throw them in the wash and reuse them!

I should write a freaking book :lol: I have gone over all this stuff with my mom, seriously!!!

Oh, and here's a TOTALLY LAME modern pregnancy thing. All the nonsense about foods you're supposed to avoid OR ELSE!!!! :P Okay, so the tuna fish/mercury thing has some merit to it, but I have done the research, and there is NO REASON for the stupid "no lunch meat, soft cheese, or sushi" thing... IMO anyway. I will give you the full rant on this if/when you wish :D

8miraclez March 22nd, 2011 08:03 PM

Things have changed so much in just the last 3 years since my last one, I'm not sure where to start. The big thing that surprised me was that the crib sides don't go down anymore. Also, the whole car seat thing. Lots of different recommendations but most of those things aren't the law. Look it up in whatever state you live because it's different from State to State.
I don't have one of those fancy pillows. I did buy a bone shaped pillow from wal-mart for $5 that I use between my knees. Love that thing, but I just stuff regular pillows around me as I need them. As for pregnancy stuff, it's now normal to get an early ultrasound as well as a later ultrasound. With my first, they only gave 1 around 20 weeks. Now you can go to the mall and pay to have one done in 3d. Hypnobirthing is also something that has become popular. I've debated trying it but for some reason, I don't think it will work as well if I'm the only one going to the classes.
Things that haven't changed are mothers intuition, breastfeeding, unsolicited advice. There are still normal bottles although there are a lot of "special" bottles. Pumping has changed tons if that's something you want to do. Swings still go back and forth although you can get ones that run on battery or plug into the wall and there is convertible everything now. Strollers that change into carseats that hook to a swing that change into a high chair. I personally like separate items but everything matching can be cute.

onedaysoon March 23rd, 2011 04:42 AM

One of the "new" things that I had with DD was the pack and play! I love the newborn height, the change table attached, and how easy it was to pack! DD slept in this for the first 2 months, then napped in it during the day until she was about 7-8 months. It is still up in our living room, being used to hold all her toys for now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarieJ (Post 23426494)
Infant carseats are a dream when grocery shopping, they click on to the cart and baby watches you while you shop-and they go to either 22lbs or 35lbs! Heaven sent!

I would just like to point out that this is NOT recommended. It's even in the carseat manual to NOT do this! I've actually seen a carseat with a child in it fall off of a grocery cart...it was terrifying! Or, the whole cart can tip cause this makes is top heavy. My Chicco doesn't even have the slot part that people use for the cart, but even if it did I wouldn't think twice, too risky to me.

Oh, and after having food poisoning from lunch meat a few weeks ago (where just the 2 preggos got sick), I'm gonna stick to the "no lunch meat" rule lol

mom2moose March 23rd, 2011 06:00 AM

Missy - You couldn't be any cuter if you tried! Lol Don't worry. We all went through it. We'll help you!! :)

shen7 March 23rd, 2011 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onedaysoon (Post 23428557)
Oh, and after having food poisoning from lunch meat a few weeks ago (where just the 2 preggos got sick), I'm gonna stick to the "no lunch meat" rule lol

Uh oh, you seem to have triggered "The Rant" - I'm sorry everyone, this is a bit long :P

Sorry you got some bad meat! :( But the reason they tell you to avoid lunch meat is NOT for normal food poisoning reasons. Normal food poisoning sucks for mom, but the bacteria can't cross the placenta. It is for Listeria, which does not cause normal food poisoning symptoms, but can nonetheless kill your baby since it DOES cross the placenta. Terrifying? Yes. Guess what the chances are of this happening? Hard to say because they are so small, but definitely ~1 in 100,000 (0.01%) or less. That is if you DO NOTHING.

The only type of food well-connected to Listeria is unpasteurized soft cheese, like queso fresco (in fact Hispanics have the highest rate of Listeriosis of any sub-population in the US). There is VERY WEAK (IMO - and I'm opinionated, yes, but I used to get paid good money to review such studies) evidence connecting Listeriosis with ingestion of lunch/deli meat and sushi. But the fact is that Listeria is ubiquitous in nature, and you can get it from ANY food item that is not served steaming hot. The most you could possibly reduce your risk of Listeria by avoiding lunch meat, sushi, and soft cheese is ~50%.

For some reason the CDC has challenged the FDA to reduce the rate of Listeriosis by half, even though we already have the lowest rate in the world (much lower than Europe, where they love their unpasteurized soft cheese!) Since the FDA is already doing all they can in terms of food safety rules and inspections (and doing more would cost a lot more money), they decided to pass on advice to ACOG that pregnant women should avoid lunch meat, soft cheese, and sushi, in the hopes that this will further reduce the rate without any extra spending on their part. So ACOG is dutifully telling doctors to tell their patients this..

They should be telling you, "Listeriosis is a rare but serious pregnancy complication that you get from ingesting Listeria bacteria. Although you can get Listeria from any food that is not steaming hot, you might be able to reduce your chances of getting it from 0.01% to 0.005% by avoiding these foods:" (and make clear that the most important one to avoid is UNPASTEURIZED soft cheese)

Instead they tell you: "You are advised to avoid these foods in order to prevent you from getting Listeria. Listeria can kill your baby with no or few symptoms to you." :eek: See why it makes me mad????

Anyhoo. Rant over. Sorry!!!! :P

Shadeauxe March 23rd, 2011 06:36 AM

Nitrates and nitrites are a good reason for humans in general to avoid deli meats and bacon. They are linked to a lot of health issues.

You can buy them nitrate free, but not likely at a restaurant or fast food place.

shen7 March 23rd, 2011 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadeauxe (Post 23429423)
Nitrates and nitrites are a good reason for humans in general to avoid deli meats and bacon. They are linked to a lot of health issues.

You can buy them nitrate free, but not likely at a restaurant or fast food place.

True enough. If that was why they told you to avoid lunch meat, it would make a lot more sense! :P

I eat lunch meat almost every day, at home it's the preservative-free all-natural stuff, and out and about (far less frequently), it's almost always this one local place that cooks and slices their own stuff, it's very high quality (and delicious).

I got mad about it because I have blood sugar issues, I *need* protein at every meal, but I also have dairy intolerances so I really should not eat cheese (unless I also have a large handful of prunes :tmi: :lol: ). Very often, lunch meat is the only good option for me!

Plus I was reading stories on my DDC like, "I was stuck in the hospital for 8 hours with no food, the only option was some pre-made sandwiches, but they had lunch meat on them so I couldn't eat them" :smackshead: Feed your dang baby!!!!!

missy123 March 23rd, 2011 07:02 AM

Woah... this thread is so much better than the pregnancy week by week book I bought! Thank you all so much for your help!!

- Why do the crib bars not come down anymore? How do you get the baby out?

- I love California rolls sushi. Is that safe since there isn't any raw fish?

- I do 10+ loads of laundry a week now. I think I am going to have to skip on the cloth diapers.

- Swings come powered now? You mean I don't have to wind them up? Now that is cool!

- Babywearing I used to have a carrier with Kyle for when I went grocery shopping and out to the stores which sounds like what these slings are like. So people do it all the time? How does the baby learn to play with themselves and comfort themselves now? How does the mom get 10 minutes to herself?

- What is Hypnobirthing? What is gas/air birth?

- I tried to breastfeed with my oldest and lasted about a week as I did not produce enough milk. It just wasn't for me and I bottlefed the other boys from the beginning. I really need to give this part a lot of thought. Maybe now that I am older I will be more relaxed and can breastfeed or the opposite may happen - now that I am older I may not produce any milk at all? hmmmmm... I will need to do a lot more research on this part.

Ok. I am feeling less overwhelmed, just please don't give me a test yet!

Shadeauxe March 23rd, 2011 07:12 AM

- Why do the crib bars not come down anymore? How do you get the baby out?
Because they were hazardous and to get them out, you use your arms. :) The mattresses have different heights for the different ages.

- I love California rolls sushi. Is that safe since there isn't any raw fish?
It's the fish that is the problem (mercury) not the rawness.

Shadeauxe March 23rd, 2011 07:19 AM

One thing to be wary about with the books is that they make pregnancy seem like the apocalypse. I mean the "symptoms" alone are enough to cause panic. Basically just about anything you can get while not pregnant can also be a pregnancy symptom and they are contradictory (diarrhea/constipation, fatigue/insomnia, hunger/loss of appetite, cravings/food aversions). Why bother listing anything. If you're human, and female and your heart is beating, you COULD be pregnant.....or you might not. Everything is disclaimed.

Anyway, that's my mini rant.