JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Pain Management during labor (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2375595-pain-management-during-labor.html)

missy123 July 18th, 2011 04:35 PM

Pain Management during labor

What types of pain management will you be using (or did use) during labor?

Brittanie July 18th, 2011 04:40 PM

Re: Pain Management during labor

I've had an epidural all 3 times prior. I might try the tub this go around, if I'm feeling courageous enough to take the monitors off...but we'll see how things go.

missy123 July 18th, 2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brittanie (Post 24407516)
if I'm feeling courageous enough to take the monitors off...but we'll see how things go.

It makes me so sad that you even have to think this way. ((Many hugs))

Brittanie July 18th, 2011 04:50 PM

There's a certain amount of relief when I make it to labor with a living baby in the first place, and I've been feeling really good about this pregnancy, so that's why I'm even considering the tub. lol

hubshope July 18th, 2011 05:03 PM

I labored for 22 hours with Benjamin before finally getting the epidural. I hadn't had time to finish my birthing classes, due to preterm labor, so I was going without even knowing how to breathe. lol

With Nathan I was bound and determined to go completely natural with no meds, I used the tub (HEAVEN) and the birthing ball...I made it to 9cm's (and was in my 24th hour of labor) and SCREAMED at the nurse to get me the anethesiologist. She told me she thought it was too late for an epidural, but he said if I could lay still long enough for it he would place it...so he did...I was holding Nathan 15 or 20 minutes later. SO, it wasn't in full effect but it sure took the edge off.

This time I'm unsure. I am going with we'll see what the day and labor brings. lol

My reason for trying NOT to get an epidural is just that I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of them...beyond terrified. BUT, I got to a point with both boys where I just wanted relief and that got me over my fear real quick. I assume I'll get there again. hahahaha

JesSsica July 18th, 2011 05:11 PM

I will be getting an epidural.

I had an epidural with my dd that wore off. I felt everything including being sewn up after and it SUCKED! I wasn't "present" for her labor because I'm a wimp about pain and was just fixated on it. I never thought to call the anesthesiologist back in to fix things. I didn't enjoy it, I didn't watch her being born in the mirror, I was so, so, so in pain.

With my son I had the best epidural ever. I watched him being born, played with his hair while he crowned, and enjoyed every minute of it. I was very present for every minute.

I want that again. I will have the epidural hooked up about 4 weeks before I'm due so I feel nothing-- ever. Truly. HA!

mom2moose July 18th, 2011 05:12 PM

I'm all for the epi. The only thing I hate is that when you get it, you have to have a catheter, but I am not the type of girl who's "I am woman, hear me ROAR!!" If I can take the edge off of the pain, I will. With Moose though, it didn't take and I sadly felt everything. I'm hoping it works for me this time!!!

momof8lopez July 18th, 2011 05:24 PM

After 4 natural births, and then having Mia with an Epi, Im torn....I mean it was an UNBELIEVABLE delivery, not an iota of pain, not one contraction did I feel (I got the epi before they induced me), but the swelling after delivery was horrible. My eyes became slits and my whole body ballooned up. I was like this for almost 3-4 days. I dont want that again, but I also love the NO PAIN delivery.....I just cant decide, lol...

If they could tell me the swelling was a one time thing and not likely to happen again, I would go for it I guess.

mom2moose July 18th, 2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof5lopez (Post 24407898)
After 4 natural births, and then having Mia with an Epi, Im torn....I mean it was an UNBELIEVABLE delivery, not an iota of pain, not one contraction did I feel (I got the epi before they induced me), but the swelling after delivery was horrible. My eyes became slits and my whole body ballooned up. I was like this for almost 3-4 days. I dont want that again, but I also love the NO PAIN delivery.....I just cant decide, lol...

If they could tell me the swelling was a one time thing and not likely to happen again, I would go for it I guess.

Did you ask your OB? I asked mine about if I got the epi again, if it was for sure NOT going to work, as it didn't the first time. She told me that just because it happened once, doesn't mean it WILL happen again. Apparently, epi's are weird like that??? I don't know. I wouldn't like to be puffed up for 3 days. I was standing and fine less than an hour after delivery. but then again, as it didn't take, I felt EVERYTHING, including when she cut me and when she sewed me up later. NOT for the faint of heart. LOL

SillyKitty July 18th, 2011 06:11 PM

I'm having a natural home birth, if all goes as planned, so I'll be using the tub and visualization techniques. This worked well for my natural labor/delivery with DD#2. I labored with her in the tub, and I had practiced relaxing my body so much that I was in a sort of trance until it was time to push.

I had an epi with my first that didn't take away the back labor but made me not able to move my legs, and I hated it. I'd rather be in control than completely pain free.

OurSweetLabs July 18th, 2011 06:20 PM

With DS I didn't have any pain meds.

Now I am going to have a C Section, so I am not sure what they will give me.

jennybunny82 July 18th, 2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OurSweetLabs (Post 24408446)
With DS I didn't have any pain meds.

Now I am going to have a C Section, so I am not sure what they will give me.

With my C-section I had a spinal... weirdest creepiest feeling ever. You can't feel from your arms down. Even though I had an oxygen mask on my face, I felt like I couldn't breathe cuz my chest felt so heavy. Most likely this will be a repeat C-section and I'll have to deal with it again. :o Still weirdest feeling ever...

missy123 July 18th, 2011 06:42 PM

What are the other pain medication options out there besides an epi? With the older 2 boys I had demoral (yuck) and with kyle just 1 shot of stadol at 9cm.

I don't think I want to have the epidural but I would like some type of relief.

mom2moose July 18th, 2011 07:12 PM

I got a shot of something, while waiting for the epi. I'm not sure what the name of it was. I HATED it. It made me sick to my stomach and knocked me out cold, until a contraction hit, then I was in misery. What good is that?? I wish I could remember the name of the pain med. I will NOT be doing that again!!

When my mom had my sister, she was hypnotized!!! Her doctor did it. She said she didn't feel a thing and even helped pull my sister out. Too bad they don't do things like that anymore.

SkyBaby July 18th, 2011 07:17 PM

I'm going natural with breathing and visualization techniques.

JessP July 18th, 2011 08:29 PM

I had pain meds in my IV with my first because I so wanted to go natural but needed something to help get me over the hump. It did nothing for me. I said forget this and got the epi :). I was induced with my second and got the epi at the same time they started my IV :). I plan to get the epi asap. Mine have always gone well and even thought I hate needles with a passion, I won't dilate in pain. I fight every moment and clench down instead of relaxing. So for me its needed to get me to the finish line :). I tried some of the other things, birthing balls, back rubs, walking, no tub though. None of it worked for me. I don't have a high pain threshold.

MeganMomof5 July 18th, 2011 09:06 PM

epidural here! That's one main reason i'm going to get induced so I can be off of my blood thinners and can get the epidural (not the only reason though)...I'm going to make it very clear to my doctor that I don't want a natural labor...I've had good epidurals and i've had crappy ones that didn't work...hopefully this time it will be a good one! i've also had IV drugs, but they usually just make you feel high for a couple minutes, and don't really take any pain away.

Brittanie July 18th, 2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessP (Post 24409491)
I won't dilate in pain. I fight every moment and clench down instead of relaxing. So for me its needed to get me to the finish line :).

That's what it seemed like for me with Patrick. I was stuck at not quite 5 for several hours before I got the epi.

We'll see what happens this time.

onedaysoon July 19th, 2011 05:50 AM

With DD I had hoped to go natural, but I went in with an open mind. After laboring for 28 hours and being induced I'd had it and opted for the epidural. I had tried the tub, but for me it did nothing. In fact, the jets made the contractions worse.

My birthing hospital only offers walking epidurals, so I still felt plenty, including the contractions so I knew when to push myself without being told, but it was a relief from nothing at all. And I was able to get up not long after with the nurse to go to the bathroom.

I hope to go natural this time, but again, open mind!

missy123 July 19th, 2011 06:18 AM

What is a walking epidural?