JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Do ultrasound pictures fade? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2389915-do-ultrasound-pictures-fade.html)

missy123 August 7th, 2011 07:57 AM

Do ultrasound pictures fade?

I want to scrapbook Scarlett's ultrasound pictures but was wondering if they fade... Is it better to laminate them first? Any ideas?

KeepingFaith August 7th, 2011 07:59 AM

Re: Do ultrasound pictures fade?

I have mine from DD in her baby book, they are over 4 years old now and look the same. I am not sure if they would fade over a longer time.

ohnicole August 7th, 2011 08:48 AM

I'm not sure if they fade either, but I would think it's best to scan them onto your computer, then if they fade you could always replace them with a newly printed photo.

luvmykids623 August 7th, 2011 08:57 AM

The ones I have from DS and DD haven't faded at all. I agree with scanning them into the computer just in case. Whatever you do don't laminate them! The heat from the laminator will cause the images to disappear. We have a laminator at my school and I watched this happen to a coworker. I don't know if the same thing happens if you use those cold laminators, but I'm too afraid to try it.

missy123 August 7th, 2011 11:59 AM

Awesome, perfect ideas girls. Thanks!! Sometimes I forget we have cool technology now a days :)

Shadeauxe August 7th, 2011 12:02 PM

My son's have not faded. It's still a good ideas to scan them.

missy123 August 7th, 2011 12:13 PM

Courtney - I was in Michaels craft store the other day and I totally thought of you! I would dream to have as much paper as you do :)

Brittanie August 7th, 2011 12:24 PM

I've scrapped all my ultrasound pictures too. I'm going on 6 years for Cora's and they're still clear.

The ONLY time I had one fade was when it was on the fridge and in sunlight every day.

JessP August 7th, 2011 12:43 PM

The better you protect them the longer they will last. However if they are printed on that thin paper over time they will fade. I don't really know if fade is the right word or not :(. I would scan them and then you can reprint them. Keep them out of sunlight and covered with protective sheets in your scrapbook. Most books come with protective sheets. How fun that you are scrapbooking her pictures. You will be so glad you did.

Blue_fire August 7th, 2011 02:14 PM

Don't laminate, if it's a heat laminator. The pictures are printed on thermal paper that will turn solid if you heat laminate them.

NutMeg76 August 7th, 2011 02:15 PM

:ditto: We made photocopies of ours and then laminated them.

AZsnowflake August 7th, 2011 02:25 PM

I have the original u/s photos just in a phot book album, but I have them scanned into the computer and for Bella's baby book I printed off the scan and put it in there.

ashj_1218 August 7th, 2011 02:29 PM

I agree with scanning them, just in case something happens to the scrapbook or something weird happens.

As long as you use acid free paper and "glue" (whatever attachments you are planning on using) and will have the scrapbook closed most of the time, they should be perfectly fine.

My mom has sonogram pictures of my youngest brother in his baby book (she did not have sonograms with me and my middle brother) and they are still just as clear as the ones we have of our two sons. My youngest brother turned 20 in April, so the pics are almost 21 years old (they were from 12 weeks and 20-something weeks along). I imagine that not having the book handled a whole lot helped to preserve things.

JesSsica August 7th, 2011 04:59 PM

I laminated my dd's u/s pics. My heart sunk when they came through all black. =( Thankfully I had scanned them and the images were saved on my computer. I ended up printing out the pics and laminating the copies. I would've died if I hadn't scanned them onto my computer because I only had one scan that pregnancy.

SillyKitty August 7th, 2011 07:57 PM

The ultrasound pictures from my first daughter (1992) have not faded at all, and neither have the ones from my second daughter (first ultrasound with her was sometime in late 2002). Both times I just stored them in their baby books. However, I highly recommend scanning them into your computer and backing them up on at least one online photo storage site. Not to sound paranoid, but you never know when something could happen to your house that causes you to lose your precious pictures.

Jessica121706 August 7th, 2011 09:33 PM

I was going through some stuff of mine the other day and I found my last sonogram from October in the last pregnancy, It was in a card board sleeve type thing that was tinted yellow and it did pick the color up from the dyes. I would be safe and scan them

With that being said I have Sara's framed and it is in perfect condition

SkyBaby August 8th, 2011 08:10 AM

I don't think they fade. My mom found mine recently and my bro's and sister's, which are 19 years old and 13 years old respectively. She says they all look the same still. My MIL showed me one of SIL who is 24 and other than being obviously kinda low tech like mine were, she said they weren't faded either.

missy123 August 8th, 2011 09:37 AM

Kira - that is so cool! Were you able to see them?

I lost my boys ultrasound pics and birth stuff in one of our moves years ago. It makes me sad.

sandiegomom August 8th, 2011 09:58 AM

nope...my daughters u/s pic(who is now 16 y.o) hasn't faded a bit, nor has my 12 year old daughters. however, i would back up on the computer, just in case! :)

SkyBaby August 8th, 2011 12:33 PM

Missy- Yup it was pretty trippy to see a tiny me in the pictures. SIL's picture was pretty fuzzy, but I could make out her head and chest.