JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Jury Duty! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2405924-jury-duty.html)

missy123 September 1st, 2011 07:02 AM

Jury Duty!

I got called in for Jury Duty October 3rd. My first response was "I am going to be 32 weeks pregnant - I can try to get out of it". Then the rational side of me decided to go. In our county they will just postpone it anyway and I would rather spend time in a court house with Scarlett in my belly than in their daycare center.

Did you even know they have free daycare for people during jury duty? Things have changed a lot in 15 years!

geogeek September 1st, 2011 07:19 AM

Re: Jury Duty!

Wow. I hope you don't get chosen. That wouldn't be fun at all.

.:Shortcake:. September 1st, 2011 07:40 AM

Missy I have always wanted to do jury duty and never been called on yet :P DH did it last year and was not chosen!

KeepingFaith September 1st, 2011 08:03 AM

I got called when I was PG with DD and filled out the card to postpone it, I have not been called back yet :D

missy123 September 1st, 2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .:Shortcake:. (Post 24747653)
Missy I have always wanted to do jury duty and never been called on yet :P DH did it last year and was not chosen!

I actually think it would be kind of cool to serve on a jury. I don't know how they would handle me having to pee every half hour though!

I think I have a levelheaded mind to make the right decision - especially since I would not be emotionally involved with it.

Shadeauxe September 1st, 2011 09:30 AM

I have jury duty in November. Last time I didn't have to participate, I hope I don't this time. I don't know how it works =, legally, with work. Do I have to take vacation? I have no idea.

Brittanie September 1st, 2011 09:43 AM

I've been called twice but both times I had recently moved to a different state (for NV when I was in Idaho for school, and for ID shortly after we'd moved to CO).

Good luck!

*SamF* September 1st, 2011 10:53 AM

I did jury duty when I was about 15 weeks pregnant with CJ. Even go at murder case!:o

momof8lopez September 1st, 2011 11:45 AM

Im 40 and have not been called yet either! But I would hate to do it now......it would be a nice excuse for me to be alone AFTER the baby is born, lol.....

ashj_1218 September 1st, 2011 12:31 PM

Funny how the system works. I am 26 and have been called for jury duty THREE times in my adult life. The first was petite jury (aka: a month's worth of calling every day to see if my "color" was called. I never had to actually decide anything for any case because the one I was on got dismissed). My second I "got out of" because I lived outside the country (when I lived in Canada). The third one was grand jury and I was not selected because it was a drug-related case and I am a drug counselor by trade. They pulled the "no go" card on me ;)

And I have heard of people who are 40-50 and have NEVER gotten jury duty! I don't mind it, as long as it fits into my schedule. So far, it has not been hard to work out.

Funny enough, I was scheduled for a court date (speeding ticket :sneak:) on October 4th! Lol. I asked to have it postponed til December and they were fine with it. There is apparently such a thing as "maternity leave" in court too.

JessP September 1st, 2011 03:54 PM

I have never been called. But I don't know of many military that get called... I would have to ask around. We move alot. Let us know how it goes.

OurSweetLabs September 1st, 2011 05:37 PM

I would do it before she is born if you can,

Around here they don't even pay you enough for a few hours for childcare.

missy123 September 1st, 2011 06:46 PM

I am 42 and was called once about 10 years ago. At the time I was a single mom with the soul income of the house resting on me. So I wrote them a letter and they excused me.

Courtney - your employer has to let you have the time off with no negative consequences.

Taken from a court website: Tell your employer about your jury service date. If you work full time, your employer must pay your regular wages for the first five days of jury service.

SillyKitty September 1st, 2011 08:35 PM

I've never been called for jury duty in my 37 years, but my daughter got called within two months of turning 18 last year. I just had to laugh, because she always takes after my husband and he's been called at least once every couple of years since he turned 18.