JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Admitted to L&D with BP issues :( Update Post 1 (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2435617-admitted-to-l-and-d-bp-issues-update-post-1-a.html)

ohnicole October 21st, 2011 11:32 AM

Admitted to L&D with BP issues :( Update Post 1

***Update***

Thanks, everybody- it's awesome to have so much support! :wub:

We were supposed to find out about my urine results last night, and didn't end up hearing about them from the doctor until 10 this morning! Aaaahhh.

But the results looked great, the protein was really low. Since my BPs are still fluctuating some, they decided to put me on Labetalol to control them, run another 24 hour urine and monitor my BP in the meantime. I got them to just leave a machine in my room, I will take it on my own, and they will just come record the numbers, so hopefully the meds and getting rid of some of the anxiety that way will help keep them down. As long as the next urine looks good, and the BP stays down, I will be able to go home with monitoring and hopefully bake baby for another 2 weeks. At that point we will probably have to talk induction, but I guess we would see at that point.

I'm feeling better today, like I have a little more control over the situation, and I like this new BP-taking plan, and my pressures today have all been good. So fingers crossed that the urine comes back great again and we get to go home tomorrow!

Well this just sucks :cry: Please excuse me if this is rambly and makes no sense.

In the first trimester, I had a couple of high BP readings at OB appointments, so I have been monitoring my BP at home ever since, and they were normal for the whole second trimester and started creeping into 120s/80s in the last few weeks. My doctor told me if they did get up over 150 or 90 at home, I would get all the pre-e testing done (I have never had any other symptoms of pre-e) and go on bedrest to try to control the BP. The other day I had a reading of 130/88 and totally FREAKED myself out about it, crying and getting super anxious. I used to get treated for social anxiety and have noticed in the third trimester that I started getting some of my old anxiety symptoms back (flushing, sweating, etc) and there was definitely an anxiety component to this freakout.

So yesterday I go to the OB and my BP is 160/100!! I have NEVER had a reading like that in months of monitoring. So they let me sit there to "rest" for 10 minutes and take it again, but during that time she is telling me all about how if it's that high I have to go to L&D and might need to get induced and blah, blah, blah... not exactly restful conversation. During this time I get super flushed and hot and nervous and then surprise, my BP is even higher when she checks it again. So I go to L&D for monitoring, they admit me for a 24 hour urine collection to check for protein. All my pre-e labs have come back clean but my BP is still all over the place (but generally 150/95 or below, many are 140s/80s), and I swear that it could be because somebody seems to come in and tell me about how they're going to "make the decision on when to induce me later" 1 minute before the aide comes to check my BP or they decide to check my cervix because I'm contracting a lot 2 minutes before they check my BP or they decide to tell me they're admitting me 3 minutes before they check my BP.

I of course want to do what's best if this is really a BP issue, but I have felt anxious the whole time I've been here, and I don't want to be induced pre-term if this is just (or largely) anxiety. I'm getting so frustrated with it. I requested to start Zoloft (I used to take that for anxiety) and I hope my OB will give it at least a few days to kick in (even that might not be long enough) before deciding about induction. Tonight they will get my 24 hour urine results and decide if I can go home with close monitoring, or if I need to stay here until an induction decision. :(

I just want my baby girl to be safe and born healthy without complications and able to come home with us.

JessP October 21st, 2011 11:36 AM

Re: Admitted to L&D with BP issues :(

So sorry for your BP issues. Hope they don't deliver you too soon. Keep us posted.

Shadeauxe October 21st, 2011 11:39 AM

Sorry about the stress. It does sound like the pick the worst times to test your blood pressure. Maybe you can listen to music and tell them to stop talking to you. :)

LindseyE117 October 21st, 2011 12:21 PM

I know what you mean about the anxiety. I always suffered low BP though. Rest, relax, and try to keep your mind on something else until you know what is going on. I pray it works out and you can go home and not deliver this early. :dothug:

geogeek October 21st, 2011 12:28 PM

Sorry you are having to go through this. I hope that it gets better and they don't induce early. Baby needs baking time!

AZsnowflake October 21st, 2011 12:31 PM

I'm so sorry you are dealing with that :( Does seem kinda strange that they would "hype" you up right before taking your blood pressure, they should know better! Hope it's nothing and you're allowed to go home.

OurSweetLabs October 21st, 2011 12:59 PM

(((HUGS)))

Hope you can get it down.

mom2moose October 21st, 2011 02:38 PM

Hope you get it down and they let you go home.

StaceygirlPa October 21st, 2011 03:36 PM

I hope you can get you BP lowered. Tell the doctor that you don't want anybody talking to you before they check your BP. I hope you get to go home soon.

kzoo1280 October 21st, 2011 04:01 PM

Nicole, i'm so sorry this is going on right now. Please know that your baby is going to be JUST FINE and will be born happy and healthy no matter when that happens. You are doing a great job and making the best decisions. You are in my thoughts, sweetie.

SillyKitty October 21st, 2011 05:31 PM

(((Hugs))) I hope they get the BP and your anxiety under control so your LO can continue to bake.

TnPhotoMama81 October 21st, 2011 08:27 PM

:( I am sorry that is really upsetting to deal with I am sure...praying for you!

luvmykids623 October 22nd, 2011 12:29 AM

I'm sorry you're going through this. I've been there twice, and it's scary. DS was induced at 38 weeks for pre-e and extreme BP issues, and DD was an emergency c-section at 36 weeks for severe pre-e and extreme BP issues. If your urines and labs come back clean for pre-e I would refuse to be induced at this point just for BP issues. Although it's high it's not terrible, especially if they're mostly 140s/80s. If I were you I would request just close monitoring and additional 24 hour urines to monitor the protein. I think you're probably right about the anxiety at this point if your other tests are ok. I hope they don't stress you out more than you've already been. :hug: You're in my thoughts and prayers!

JessP October 22nd, 2011 12:53 AM

Re: Admitted to L&D with BP issues :( Update Post 1

Sorry you are still in the hospital hope you go home soon to bake baby longer.

missy123 October 22nd, 2011 03:18 AM

Re: Admitted to L&D with BP issues :( Update Post 1

Try laying on your left side for a few minutes before they take your blood pressure. It will help the blood flow and naturally lower it a little bit (if it is from the stress). I went through something similar.

((hugs))

momof8lopez October 22nd, 2011 06:08 AM

Hoping you are feeling better at this point and the dr.'s need to keep their mouths shut prior to your bp drawing.........are they morone's?