JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Weight loss.... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2504648-weight-loss.html)

missy123 March 21st, 2012 09:25 PM

Weight loss....

Scarlett is 4 months old and I still look 6 months pregnant. I am weighing in about 10lbs more than normal but it all decided to just hang out in my stomach. A few times I have been asked when I am due. Between that and people thinking Scarlett is my grandchild it is depressing me - I have a meeting with a client next week and none of my clothes (suits) fit and I gave away all my maternity clothes. I would love to show up in sweatpants but I really don't think they will appreciate it :) I have gone on a serious diet now and hopefully that will help.

How did you lose the baby weight? and for you "older moms" did the weight just hang out in your belly or no?

Thanks!

Shadeauxe March 22nd, 2012 03:43 AM

Re: Weight loss....

I don't really have any advice since it's been so long since my son was born that I don't remember. Good luck with the weight and be healthy.

silverlife March 22nd, 2012 06:06 AM

I had my son at 27 and my daughter at 30, so I'm no help on the age thing. But I do know that before having children I never had issues with belly fat and since having kids I now have fat that hangs around my belly unless I get below my pre-baby weight.

The only time I've tried to lose weight since having kids was about two years ago. I worked out for 30-40 minutes 6 days a week (alternating cardio and light weights) and cut cookies out of my diet (which probably cut more calories/day than I care to admit). I lost about 10 pounds in 5 weeks or so. But then our family room flooded and I couldn't use the TV for my workout videos for a month, so I stopped. But the muscle I had gained and continuing to leave cookies out meant I lost another pound a month without trying. And then I got pregnant, miscarried, and gained all the weight back. But that's besides the point. ;)

mom2moose March 22nd, 2012 06:19 AM

I'm 36 and Finn is now 6 months old. I initially lost like 30 pounds right after he was born, but then my OB made me get the Depo shot before being "fixed" and I gained 15 pounds! I work out, walk on the treadmill everyday, watch what I eat, do workout DVD's, etc. I've only lost 3 pounds. *sigh* It sucks and it's so much harder to lose weight this time around. With Moose, it just fell off, but now I'm 3 years older and a little bit lazier. LOL It's frustrating. I have no real advice though. Good luck!

NsMommy March 22nd, 2012 06:22 AM

I'm still working on losing weight because I have been overweight for a long time now but I had a good start while in the hospital (40 lbs - water weight, baby, hospital food, depression, and breastfeeding).

The breastfeeding kept me losing but it's not going anywhere anymore.

I'm a stronger believer in increasing exercise and eating healthy. Dieting has its benefits but sometimes we eat too little and our body goes into starvation mode and hangs on to the weight.

Now I have plateaued at 183 lbs so here's what I'm doing:
- Beach Body's 10 minute trainer - For us busy moms... you either do a warm up, 10 minute work out, and cool down (14 mins total) or you do 3 10 minute work outs over the course of a day. I just started so I'm hoping to see some results soon.
- Quit eating out as much (less fast food/restaurants and more cooking at home).
- Sticking to a specific pattern of snacks (esp at work where I tend to go out and grab cookies or fast food if I don't bring food) and making sure that I eat a good but not HUGE lunch and dinner. I eat at least 2 fruits a day (banana, orange) and whole grain snacks. I also make sure to have protein and vegetables for dinner.
- Taking stairs instead of elevator at work (but I'm only on the 3rd floor)
- I'm going to start increasing my protein because it works!
- I eat oatmeal almost every day for the fiber and oatmeal has been shown to help you lose weight (the real oats, not the little packages). I add natural peanut butter to make it more filling and to get some protein.
- Allow myself one dessert a week.

I'm very serious about this now because being in the ICU for my BP terrified me and I don't want to end up in the hospital again because I've damaged myself with junk and didn't take care of my heart. I know preeclampsia happens to fit people too but I can't kid myself that being overweight with a family history of high blood pressure isn't part of the problem.

Good luck, Missy! I hope we all have some results soon! :)

Pitridge March 22nd, 2012 07:47 AM

I lost most of the weight right after birth, the reminder of the weight I lost little by little. While I was on maternity leave I walked about 3 miles everyday with the baby, I also breastfeed, I don't know if that helped me loose weight or not. I'm not a believer in diets, I believe that with exercise and eating right you will loose the weight. Also, I don't believe in not eating what you like, if you want chocolate, eat just a little piece to satisfy the craving

Micksbabe March 22nd, 2012 12:25 PM

Hi missy!! Just thought I would give you some advice I got from my brother (he owns his own gym and has done lots of schooling in the field) he says that weight loss is 80% what you put in your mouth and belly fat is the worst fat to lose :( he recommends doing pushups daily and not to do sit ups!! He said for abs you want to do an exercise called a plank :) he has told me many times (since I still have lots of belly fat from dd) that if I ever want to get rid of my belly fat I need to cut carbs out of my diet and eat very "clean" which is no processed food etc :) he recommends only shopping on the outside of the grocery store (avoiding going down the aisles) because that is the food that you need to be eating :)

Hope you feel better soon and is Scarlett really 4 months old already!!! That is crazy!! She is getting so big :wub:

.:Shortcake:. March 22nd, 2012 02:52 PM

Missy first off I cannot believe she is already 4 months old! Ahhh where is the time going!?! Second you still look AMAZING! And lastly diet is important but it's important to eat a healthy amount. Have you thought about doing p90x? It's a 90 day exercise program and I know several people who have done it and they look amazing. It's not too expensive and honestly there are a lot of places like craigslist or ebay that have it used.

P90X Workout - P90X Workout Review - P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout Program - beachbody.com

silverlife March 22nd, 2012 06:30 PM

One comment about P90X is that it's meant for people that are in shape somewhat. The workouts I did two years ago were the easier version--Power 90 (without the 'X'). It was way better to ease into than the P90X version. But if you're more in shape than I am, you should be able to handle the P90X (I could walk long distances, but anything aerobic was tiring).

JessP March 23rd, 2012 10:14 AM

I love the paleo lifestyle or even just clean eating for losing weight. I agree with alot of the ladies you gotta get moving and watch what you eat. From what I have learned and done eating clean and or eating a primal/paleo lifestyle helps. Cutting carbs while hard at first really does make me feel better. I flip flop which is hard. After my first two kids I dropped the weight so fast it was crazy. Now I struggle for every pound lost :(. Its much harder this time. I am doing cardio, Jillian DVD's and trying like heck to eat clean or paleo. I fail at eating alot. Belly fat is rough but you can do it. And Jenny you shouldn't be so hard on yourself, you are doing great and the DEPO is to blame for your lack of weight loss. I have seen your progress pictures they are fabulous.

momof8lopez March 23rd, 2012 03:50 PM

OMG, I could of wrote this myself Missy! Selena is 5mo old, and I still have 7lbs to go, ALL IN MY BELLY! ( I look like Im 3mos preggo, ALL THE TIME!) I kept telling myself it was from getting pregnant so fast after Mia was born, gaining another 60lbs after loosing her weight just minutes from loosing it the first time, lol!

Now I know its none of that......I work out 6 days a week, diet, (well for the most part, I splurge on Fridays, lol) and my gut just wont go down!!! Its that 40+ horrible, awful belly fat!!! Ive resigned to buy new work clothes, as this a** is not fitting into a size 2 anymore! I have just bought several new suits for work, all 4's. If I could only loose those extra 7lbs or so.......I would be in my old clothes!

I love all the advice in here, gonna try to add some of it to my routine.......I heard the planks are the only way to loose the belly too:( No more cookies for me and I need to walk away from the carbs! I have averaged about 5lbs a month since her birth, but it just haulted! I think I weighed 180 at birth, about 160 when I came home, got to 150 pretty easy over the next 2wks, then it was a struggle and fight to go from 150 to 133 (where Im now). I want to be 125! Let's do it togehter!

BTW, I have a 19yr old "nanny" who looks like she's the mother of my baby's, and people just assume Im the Grandma:rolleyes: O well, nothing I can do about it, I just roll with it......

missy123 March 24th, 2012 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micksbabe (Post 25792576)
Hi missy!! Just thought I would give you some advice I got from my brother (he owns his own gym and has done lots of schooling in the field) he says that weight loss is 80% what you put in your mouth and belly fat is the worst fat to lose :( he recommends doing pushups daily and not to do sit ups!! He said for abs you want to do an exercise called a plank :) he has told me many times (since I still have lots of belly fat from dd) that if I ever want to get rid of my belly fat I need to cut carbs out of my diet and eat very "clean" which is no processed food etc :) he recommends only shopping on the outside of the grocery store (avoiding going down the aisles) because that is the food that you need to be eating :)

Hope you feel better soon and is Scarlett really 4 months old already!!! That is crazy!! She is getting so big :wub:

Please tell your brother I love him!! I cut most carbs out of my diet, doing pushups somewhat and lost 3 pounds this week...... YIPEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by .:Shortcake:. (Post 25793279)
Missy first off I cannot believe she is already 4 months old! Ahhh where is the time going!?! Second you still look AMAZING! And lastly diet is important but it's important to eat a healthy amount. Have you thought about doing p90x? It's a 90 day exercise program and I know several people who have done it and they look amazing. It's not too expensive and honestly there are a lot of places like craigslist or ebay that have it used.

P90X Workout - P90X Workout Review - P90X Extreme Home Fitness Workout Program - beachbody.com

We have actually had P90X in this house for over a year! Red has worked out with it and from what I see with him I would probably pass out in the first 10 minutes! (and he works out 5-6 days a week, every week) Have you ever worked out with it?

missy123 March 24th, 2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof6lopez (Post 25797828)
Now I know its none of that......I work out 6 days a week, diet, (well for the most part, I splurge on Fridays, lol) and my gut just wont go down!!! Its that 40+ horrible, awful belly fat!!! Ive resigned to buy new work clothes, as this a** is not fitting into a size 2 anymore! I have just bought several new suits for work, all 4's. If I could only loose those extra 7lbs or so.......I would be in my old clothes!

Size 4's????? Girlfriend you are making me cry... I so wish I could fit back into my 4's... I tried to put size 4 on yesterday and it just heckled at me. I am in size 8 - omg I can't believe I just admitted that. My size 2 and 4 jeans are begging for me to take them out of the boxes. sigh... With working 10+ hours a day with this start up program and Scarlett I do admit that I have not worked out a day since she was born. So it is my fault. Makes me want to start smoking again so I would lose this weight. I tried to get some weight loss pills from the weight loss clinic but they said my body index isn't high enough for the prescription stuff.

I refuse to get old! :)

Little Red Caboose - I think I can, I think I can....

Micksbabe March 24th, 2012 03:50 PM

I am glad that you lost some weight missy!!! I have been slowly taking it off, my brother always tells me that I shouldn't diet I need to have a "lifestyle change" lol I just roll my eyes at him most of the time and say yes i know :lol:

.:Shortcake:. March 24th, 2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missy123 (Post 25799148)
Please tell your brother I love him!! I cut most carbs out of my diet, doing pushups somewhat and lost 3 pounds this week...... YIPEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

We have actually had P90X in this house for over a year! Red has worked out with it and from what I see with him I would probably pass out in the first 10 minutes! (and he works out 5-6 days a week, every week) Have you ever worked out with it?

Missy I have not used the P90x but I know several people using it and the results look awesome. I love Zumba and have been doing it almost daily :) That is awesome that you lost 3 pounds. Planks suck but I have noticed how much they work.