JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Think about getting this shot (article) a loss is mentioned (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2515980-think-about-getting-shot-article-loss-mentioned.html)

Jakaira s Mom April 17th, 2012 11:49 PM

Think about getting this shot (article) a loss is mentioned

Kaliah’s Story | Shot by Shot

kaylakay April 18th, 2012 01:22 AM

Re: Think about getting this shot (article) a loss is mentioned

I cried at this!

Can you get this vaccination while pregnant?

Jessghetti April 18th, 2012 05:32 AM

I am considering getting this vaccine (yes it is safe to get during pregnancy but I would talk to your doctor about it) along with my DH.

~Laurie~ April 18th, 2012 06:26 AM

I got this immunization again when I got my flu shot, so shortly after Chloe came home.

luvmykids623 April 18th, 2012 06:58 AM

I got this shot right after I had the twins.

Pitridge April 18th, 2012 09:13 AM

I found this article from almost a year ago
Pregnant women urged to get pertussis vaccine - Health - Pregnancy - msnbc.com

I will ask my Dr on my next appointment.

LindseyE117 April 18th, 2012 10:30 AM

I am going to ask at my appointment on Friday. I am terrified of something happening like this. My DD had whooping cough when she was an infant, but she had already gotten the shot and was almost a year old. She did not get it badly thank god, and the doctors said it was because we had her vaccinated.

*SamF* April 18th, 2012 02:19 PM

That is so so sad!!

I'm pretty sure I have had the shot. I will ask my doctor about it tomorrow.

SkyBaby April 18th, 2012 03:09 PM

Those big, beautiful brown eyes killed me, just killed me. I got the shot while pregnant and my daughter got it at her 2 month check with no complications for either of us.

stargatemommy April 18th, 2012 03:47 PM

I got it after my son was born, but my son has not had it. It is important to remember that vaccines DO NOT prevent you from getting the disease. They MAY make it less severe if you get it, but it is not a guarantee....

L-SBB April 18th, 2012 04:22 PM

i got this vaccine along with one for pnuemonia as well...definitely talk with your OB and see if they recommend doing it during pregnancy (mine recommended I get them done before we started TTC so DH & I went and got all vaxs updated prior to TTC Savannah).

shen7 April 18th, 2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargatemommy
It is important to remember that vaccines DO NOT prevent you from getting the disease.

I am sorry, but I can't let this statement go unchallenged... this is false. That is exactly how vaccines work. They also reduce severity if you do get the disease.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/howvpd.htm

Just because, statistically, a few people who get vaccinated will get the disease anyway, does not mean it doesn't prevent disease in general. Getting the shot dramatically reduces one's risk of getting the disease.

I keep reading about pertussis outbreaks. It was not on the radar in Mississippi when I had M, but there are cases here in California all the time, and it comforts me that M is up to date on all her shots. I think I need a booster soon, I had one like 7 years ago.

.:Shortcake:. April 18th, 2012 04:51 PM

Such a heartbreaking story :( Things like this should be expressed heavily at the doctors office!

Pitridge April 18th, 2012 04:58 PM

[QUOTE=shen7;25915041
I keep reading about pertussis outbreaks. It was not on the radar in Mississippi when I had M, but there are cases here in California all the time, and it comforts me that M is up to date on all her shots. I think I need a booster soon, I had one like 7 years ago.[/QUOTE]
Where are you in CA?

shen7 April 18th, 2012 06:23 PM

I am in the Bay Area. Basically Silicon Valley, a bit south of it.

stargatemommy April 18th, 2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shen7 (Post 25915041)
I am sorry, but I can't let this statement go unchallenged... this is false. That is exactly how vaccines work. They also reduce severity if you do get the disease.
Vaccines: Vac-Gen/How Vaccines Prevent Disease

They work by introducing you immune system to the disease. It doesn't mean your immune system will respond (it usually does) but it doesn't prevent the disease. You can still get it, just not as severely... Your immune system recognizes the attacker, and can kill it faster, but it isn't a magical sheild that makes you impervious to the disease all together.

Dr. James Howenstine -- Why You Should Avoid Taking Vaccines

doremi April 19th, 2012 12:54 AM

We actually have had a whooping cough outbreak in our county this spring. The local hospitals are not allowing any visitors into the L&D area of one of our largest hospitals unless they can provide proof of immunization. I had my booster shot when Josiah was born, DH has an appt. scheduled for next week to update his, and Josiah has been fully vaccinated.

silverlife April 19th, 2012 07:26 AM

How sad! :cry:

Most hospitals around where I am offer it to mothers while they are still in the hospital after giving birth. It didn't help this poor mama because she was already sick with it when she gave birth. :(

owensmom April 19th, 2012 08:42 AM

so sad! My dr reccomended that DH get it - which he did a few months ago. I am scheduled to get my booster while in the hospital after delivery. I think its just one of those things that should be done since the consiquences of not getting it are just too great.

Pitridge April 19th, 2012 04:10 PM

Here is another story out of Belgium

My 83 days'diary