JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   First Appointment After 2 Miscarriages (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2519210-first-appointment-after-2-miscarriages.html)

lwalker0114 April 25th, 2012 06:50 PM

First Appointment After 2 Miscarriages

So tomorrow I am having my first appointment from finding out I was pregnant after miscarrying twice. I am of course very concerned with this pregnancy because I'm worried about miscarrying again so I asked one of my girlfriends that goes to the same doctors office I will be going to about what to expect from my first appointment. Naturally I'm hoping for an ultrasound and blood work just to check on things but when I asked her what her first appointment consisted of she said they just determined her due date by her periods and then talked to a nurse as they gave her a packet of papers about the pregnancy. I'm worried now because I'm hoping for a more in depth appointment then that and now i'm wondering if its not what sort of things I could say or do while there other then express my concern that will make then want to check out the pregnancy.

missy123 April 25th, 2012 10:55 PM

Re: First Appointment After 2 Miscarriages

I am sorry for your losses. :( How far along are you? I would express your concerns about being pregnant after having losses. Usually doctors will do some extra testing for you or give you an earlier ultrasound for peace of mind. ((hugs)) we understand how stressful all this is.

mspkids April 26th, 2012 06:56 AM

I totally agree. I would mention it and see if they can't send you for a scan if you are at least 6w.
They may say your insurance won't cover it. I know my insurance won't cover the u/s at 7w however I think it's worth the money to relieve the stress that worrying would be causing.

silverlife April 26th, 2012 08:13 AM

I would call ahead before the appointment and let them know that you've had two miscarriages and would at the very least like some blood work to check hormone levels.

Pitridge April 26th, 2012 08:56 AM

I would call the doctor's office before the appointment and ask them what to expect and tell them your history.

humnck April 26th, 2012 10:34 AM

Depending on how far along you are, they may not want to do an u/s just yet, if you are 6w or more, I would ask. My doc office doesn't do the first appt until at least 8 weeks, at that appt, they go through your medical history, do an exam or pap, and do a dating u/s (this was not done 3 years ago when I had my DD). All doctors offices vary, not to mention the doc and the patient...perhaps, because you have had the losses, you will be treated differently...good luck!!