JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Low platelets...(xposted) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2536378-low-platelets-xposted.html)

humnck June 7th, 2012 07:24 AM

Low platelets...(xposted)

With Reagan, I had fairly low platelets and they told me that there was a slight possibility I wouldn't have the option of an epi, which totally freaked me, I really wanted the option, I had a feeling I would need it. I was sent to a hematologist to rule out any other issues other than pregnancy, but they found nothing. Well, the day came for my induction, they checked my counts and they were in the 90k's and the anesthesiologist on call was okay with my numbers...phew! A few weeks later they were back to normal, so pregnancy induced issue.

So, when I had my CBC with this pregnancy weeks ago, my platelets were just above 100k, which is lower than normal (they should be 150k-450k), but not low enough to be concerned about not getting an epi. My doc decided, though, that she should recheck them, so we didn't have any surprises the day of the birth. Well, I got my results on Monday morning, they are quite low, 71k, lower than with Reagan. She said that I may not be able to get the epi again, ugh! She is sending me to a hematologist to see if they might prescribe steroids to increase the count, so I can still have that option. I do NOT want to take steroids, when I see the doc, I plan on asking about other options. A girl from my DDC found "natural" ways for me to try and increase them, including eating certain foods. So, I am eating salad everyday...lol! It said fish too, but I can't eat fish, because it makes me sick, pregnant or not, so that option is out. It also said warm water, which I can't seem to stomach either...argh!

Anyways, wondering if any of you ladies have dealt with this during pregnancy, I am freaked out that I might not get the epi this time and I really needed it last time!!

.:Shortcake:. June 7th, 2012 07:49 AM

Re: Low platelets...(xposted)

I don't have any experience with it but wanted to say I'm praying that the natural things bring your levels up! :hug:

~Tanya~ June 7th, 2012 07:50 AM

I haven't even heard of this, but I hope you are able to maintain the option.

Would it be possible to discuss the possibility of IV drugs? I don't know if they are any different, but I had that when I was having DD...

Good luck & I hope those #'s go up for you :)

StaceygirlPa June 7th, 2012 08:37 AM

When I was pregnant with Cody they were watching my platelets. My numbers fell low couple of times. I was lucky though they kept going up on their own. I had to have blood draws every month to watch them. I hope yours come up.

Jessghetti June 7th, 2012 09:58 AM

Sorry to hear about your blood, I have your platelet count goes up!
I totally agree with you on the fish thing, I can't stand fish at all! Except tuna on rare occasions.

humnck June 7th, 2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Tanya~ (Post 26135446)
Would it be possible to discuss the possibility of IV drugs? I don't know if they are any different, but I had that when I was having DD...

I am assuming you mean the narcotics? I had them with DD and had an epi, I was trying to avoid the narcotic this time, but if need be, I think I can still have that instead. I am going to talk to my doc tomorrow about my other options if the epi isn't one.

Thanks, ladies!

Pitridge June 7th, 2012 01:08 PM

I'm sorry about this. I hope it goes on its own and that you get to keep option of an epi or not.

kaylakay June 7th, 2012 09:21 PM

I REALLY hope your count goes up... If I didn't have an epi option I would freak out... I'm not good with pain and don't think I personally could do it... Women who do natural childbirth are super heroes! Haha

So I'm really pulling for ya!