JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   US: Measuring behind?? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2589102-us-measuring-behind.html)

Lindz253 October 26th, 2012 01:27 PM

US: Measuring behind??

Has anyone else measured behind??

I had my US today. By my LMP I should be around 6w5d. US today showed a fetal pole measuring 5w6d which was too early to see a heartbeat. I go back next week for another US. The doc was trying to make me feel better. They measure due dates using a 28 day cycle and I told her I generally have a 30 to 31 day cycle and she said that can affect the due date. I don't know. I just wish this would have been easier. When I first got my HCG BW my number was only 31 - it was doubling but they told me that first call it was low so that has just set off my worry from the beginning. And now measuring behind. I just really wanted to go in today and see the HB and just have a little peace of mind.

Has anyone else measured behind and everything be ok?

ashj_1218 October 26th, 2012 01:41 PM

Re: US: Measuring behind??

It is absolutely possible, based on your cycle dates for this to be a totally healthy pregnancy. You are measuring 6 days behind. 3 of those could be because of your later ovulation. Another 1-2 days can be implantation (I know when I ovulate with this pregnancy and am consistently measuring 2 days behind that). And even a couple more days could be due to late ovulation.

Did you get a later positive test? Having a "low" beta could match up. It wouldn't be low if you were 6 days behind when you thought you were, kWIM? Low for 20DPO is absolutely not low for 14DPO. My betas were a bit lower than I expected, but measuring two days behind puts them right on track.

In addition, your uterus could be laying funny and there could've been more in there that they couldn't see clearly. I have seen it happen several times in my DDC.

I hope your next sono eases your mind :)

Lindz253 October 26th, 2012 01:54 PM

Thanks for your response! I got a very faint BFP 10 DPO (neg on 9DPO). Im really hoping it took this bean a little longer to do everything.

I started crying as soon as I laid down to get the US today. Im going to be a wreck next Friday! :lol: I just keep telling myself at least there was a fetal pole. I kept thinking there would be nothing at all.

martilynne October 26th, 2012 03:50 PM

It's really normal at this point. All the factors that Ashlee said come into play. I hope you see a beautiful flickering heartbeat next week!

shen7 October 26th, 2012 04:14 PM

The early u/s (pre 7-9 weeks) can be off as much as a week. With my first we saw only a sac and yolk sac at 5w4d which was way behind, but then at 8w4d she was measuring right on time. It is the downside of getting early u/s that you can get a worrying result that actually means nothing. Like Ashlee said, the bean is so tiny they just can't see it well enough yet. And given your dates you could in fact be less far along than you thought, also dittoing Ashlee. Try not to worry (hahahaha I know that's a joke...) but really, I think you are okay. Hugs!!!!

Lindz253 October 26th, 2012 05:45 PM

Thank you all for reassuring me. It really means a lot!!!

8miraclez October 26th, 2012 06:20 PM

I am experiencing the same thing, and did with my last one as well. My first hcg with her was 23 and then it didn't double fast enough for them. They were all telling me it must be ectopic or I was going to miscarry. I went in at 7wks and measured 6wks along. She is perfectly healthy though.

We are going that route again this time. Last week the sack was measuring 5w2d and today, when it should be measuring 6w5d, it measured 6w1d. They aren't concerned though. Changed my due date again and I go back in about a week.

Hang in there. As my dh says, when I told him I'm worried, it's not an exact science, and when the baby is born, a week off won't matter.

bcogoli October 27th, 2012 05:12 AM

At 9w 1d i only measure 8w 2d and i was so concerned since we just lost the twin, my ob said that up to 2 weeks off is ok in the first trimester and the baby should catch up in the second trimester. I will pray for growth and peace of mind for you.

melissalaw October 29th, 2012 07:05 AM

I'm sure everything is fine. Especially if your cycles are longer and your dr measured things based on a 28 day cycle. I wish dr's wouldn't tell us things like the baby is measuring a little behind. It just causes unecessary worry. Jacob was always measuring behind but he was just a small baby. I'm praying for your little bean. Please keep us updated.