JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Kody is here! (x-posted from May DDC) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2650087-kody-here-x-posted-may-ddc.html)

EverydayJoy May 13th, 2013 02:13 AM

Kody is here! (x-posted from May DDC)

Hi ladies!
Kody was born Friday night at 10:43pm, he's 7 lbs even, 19 in long. His eyes look steely blue in daylight and look sort of brown in the center and blue on the outside with inside lights. We'll see how they turn out. He looks a lot like his brother did as a newborn, but his hair is not reddish like Ethan's was.
So for delivery...
I arrived at the hospital at 5:30, got my IV port put in (didn't have to get hooked up to a pole though), and at 7:30pm my water was broken. I think my OB said I was a 6 at that point. I wasn't too uncomfortable yet, just sort of crampy and feeling some of the contractions a bit but not too sure for some of them.
I didn't want to just lay in bed so I got into the jetted tub so I could sort of be by myself and keep moving around to help him come down and get everything going.
The pain was pretty manageable until I got to about 9-10 cm...they checked me at 9 and it just got more painful from there. Pushing him out was the worst part. I kept thinking he was further down the birth canal than he was with each push. I'd ask, she'd check and say his head is here or his head is just about to crown and I thought it was taking forever! But I knew it was going to be over soon...I sure wished at that point that I'd had some drugs on board! Haha! I'm not sure how long I pushed but the whole process from when they broke my water to end was only about 3 hours. It was probably something like 10 pushes. And hurt like hell! LOL. But he's here. Last night and the first night were kinda rough in the hospital just because of sleeping...I got 2.5 hours the first night, a few scattered hours during the day, and then maybe 3 or 4 broken hours the next night. He wanted to nurse all night long and it was driving me crazy because it was hurting and he'd lose the latch so easily. But I saw the lactation consultant before we left and that helped, guess I'm not an old pro like I thought, ha hah. My milk is starting to come in this afternoon, too, and that makes it seem so much easier to nurse. He's now sleeping peacefully in his daddy's arms.

Here are some pictures:

Arriving at the hospital, checking out our digs:
http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...f8e89b87f3.jpg

Just born:
http://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...c01e735a8f.jpg

http://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...924d19d78f.jpg

I just had a bath, so my hair is wet--
http://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...d9a1af90ef.jpg

Today in the hospital, waiting to get discharged:
http://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...fc2a3cf0b3.jpg

At home with big brother:
http://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...82fe629994.jpg

Ethan was so happy to see Kody. He talked about all Kody's little body parts--counted his toes and fingers, checked out his nose and eyes and felt his hair, etc. When he saw Kody nursing for the first time, he said, "He's eating Mommy's boobies!" in a matter-of-fact voice. lol. Love that kid!

melissalaw May 13th, 2013 06:16 AM

Re: Kody is here! (x-posted from May DDC)

Congratulations Momma!!! So happy that he's here safe and sound and what a beautiful baby. I love that bottom picture. don't you just love what kids say. Jackson is all the time asking me why Jacob is biting me and does that hurt..lol.

I'm so happy for you!! the nursing will get easier, just keep at it. Now that your milk is coming in, hopefully he will sleep a bit better. I remember how hard those first few weeks are but oh so worth it.

momof8lopez May 13th, 2013 10:14 AM

WOW, hes beautiful/handsome!!! You look amayzing too! What a wonderful birth story, and big brother and baby look so precious together, be proud mama, you deserve it!

geogeek May 13th, 2013 10:22 AM

Congratulations!! He is so beautiful! Your body was definitely ready to go!

Papasgirl May 14th, 2013 03:58 AM

OMG!!! He is gorgeous! I'm so very happy for you! :grats:

humnck May 14th, 2013 07:08 AM

YAY!! He is adorable! Congratulations, even though it hurt like heck, it sounds like a great birth experience.

I love the "eating mommies boobies" - Reagan said the same thing about Addy :)

Those pics are great!!

EverydayJoy May 15th, 2013 02:45 PM

Thanks, ladies! Nursing is getting easier now and my milk is coming in well, so I think that helps.

melissalaw May 16th, 2013 06:00 AM

Glad it's getting easier!! How are you feeling?

EverydayJoy May 16th, 2013 11:42 PM

I'm doing well, thanks for asking!
Kody had his xrays done today (called a voiding cystourethrogram) and it went so smoothly I was shocked. They had to catheterize him and shoot dye up into his bladder, and I was expecting the worst--that I'd be helping hold down my screaming newborn. But he barely cried, thank God! They used a numbing solution beforehand and I think that helped a lot. I also brought a bottle and gave it to him at the first signs of crying, and he settled right down. Phew! Plus the xrays showed no signs of the urine refluxing back up into the kidneys, which is what they were concerned was happening. Such a relief, on so many levels.

I feel a little the worse for wear after such a busy day today, but I'm sure in a few days I'll be much better. Just taking it one day at a time.

melissalaw May 17th, 2013 06:09 AM

Glad that the xray looked okay and that he's doing okay. Your right just take it one day at a time and enjoy that sweet baby boy.

Ame C May 17th, 2013 09:22 AM

Congratulations! He's absolutely adorable!! So tiny and perfect :smile:

TnPhotoMama81 May 18th, 2013 08:43 AM

He is adorable :D Congrats!!!! Having two is so much fun :)

Brittanie May 18th, 2013 11:29 AM

He's beautiful! I'm so slow on the uptake. lol

melissalaw May 21st, 2013 09:07 AM

Joy just checking in to see how Kody and momma are doing? How's big brother, Ethan, like his little brother? I was just thinking of you guys and hoping that all was well.

Belita May 21st, 2013 03:04 PM

:grats: He's adorable!!!

EverydayJoy May 22nd, 2013 03:26 PM

Melissa, not so well, Kody is getting really fussy. I think my letdown is too strong because he gulps, coughs, and sputters when it hits, and if I'm too full when I feed him, he throws up immediately afterward. He seems constantly fussy and I've gotten so little sleep I am almost regretting getting pregnant at all. I hope it gets better.

melissalaw May 23rd, 2013 06:25 AM

Joy I'm so sorry that you are having a hard time. I remember with Jacob the first few weeks were so hard. He was a terrible sleeper and wouldn't sleep at all unless I was holding him or he was nursing. Every time I tried to lay him down, he would wake up screaming and crying. I promise it will get easier, it is just so tough at first especially when you have another child to attend to also. Hopefully he will get used to your let down and hopefully your supply will even out and you won't get so engorged. We are here for you. In a few months you won't even remember how tired you are right now and you will be so thankful to have your sweet Kody, I promise. Hoping you can get some sleep soon.

EverydayJoy May 23rd, 2013 09:29 PM

Thank you Melissa, I know it will get better it just worries me because with DS1 he was a very poor sleeper well into his first year, and was always fussy and hard to console. So I'm hoping Kody won't be just like his brother in that regard, cause I don't think I can do it again!

EverydayJoy May 26th, 2013 11:35 PM

Hey just wanted to post a quick update that I'm feeling much better these days. I got my antidepressants upped just a bit and it's making a big difference for me. I'm also getting into a rhythm for sleep patterns and that helps too. Glad to report I'm feeling much more up to the task of being a mom!

melissalaw May 28th, 2013 06:44 AM

Joy I'm so happy to hear that. I remember how hard those first few weeks are and I'm so glad that you guys are getting some sleep. Hopefully everything continues to keep getting better. I know all about those terrible little sleepers.