JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Organic Foods (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2651010-organic-foods.html)

melissalaw May 16th, 2013 10:13 AM

Organic Foods

Do you try to eat organic fruits and vegetables? What about organic milk and meat?

My family has just recently started trying to eat more organic food. I have seen alot of bad stuff lately about what is on our fruits and vegetables. I was just buying organic milk for Jacob but I think we are going to switch the entire family to organic milk. I haven't been doing organic meat but I may try to buy organic when I can. The biggest down side to buying organic is how much it costs.

humnck May 16th, 2013 10:55 AM

Re: Organic Foods

I will occasionally buy organic, but not usually. The cost is prohibitive for me. I work in the testing field for things like pesticides and herbicides, so I know all to well what is being put on our foods. I just try not to think about it. LOL!

I bought organic milk a few times, again, too expensive.

BeckyBozeman May 29th, 2013 05:19 PM

This is a big issue for us... when I was working it was at a local food coop and, with two incomes and a store discount, we bought good, local food, lots of it organic. Now that I'm only working occasionally, we can't afford to shop the same way. Where I've come down is that there are some things that straight up HAVE to be organic - apples, strawberries, etc. (the dirty dozen!) For meat and dairy (and really all of our food) we work really hard to know where it's coming from. We buy from local dairies, farms and ranches that practice sustainability, don't use antibiotics or hormones and are basically using organic techniques, whether they're certified or not. There are a lot of growers out there that don't use pesticides or chemicals and are really "organic", but the cost of becoming certified is ridiculously prohibitive. We also use very little processed food, and what we do buy is either organic or we know where it comes from.

I'm pretty passionate about this topic because I think that we've turned over control of what we put into our bodies and who knows what the long term consequences will be. If I can help it my kids will have sugar substitutes, food dyes, refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup rarely, if ever.

Stepping quietly off soapbox now.....

EverydayJoy May 29th, 2013 06:56 PM

I've heard something about how strawberries are bad---Becky, could you elaborate? I'm curious.
We really don't buy anything organic because we can't afford to. I would love to buy all organic and/or from small farms if we could afford to. I'd love to try raw milk someday too, but last I checked it was crazy expensive (like $6.50 for a quart).

ninja_mommy May 29th, 2013 10:26 PM

We try to buy the dirty dozen organically. I also try milk that's at least non GMO or organic. We have switched to organic chicken, beef and yogurt. IMO animal products and are the big ones to try to eat organic. I believe they are loaded with the most crap as other animals are feed with the crappy food.
Also, we got a costco membership because they have a really great selection of organic and it makes it really affordable. Was also going to say that I try my hardest to ALWAYS buy organic corn and soy products because they are most likely to be GMO because those are the US's two biggest crops.

melissalaw May 30th, 2013 06:59 AM

Joy there is what is called the dirty dozen which are 12 foods that you should always buy organic because of amount of pesticides found on them. Here is a link I found Summary | EWG's 2013 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce. Apples are the worst but strawberries are also on the list. I buy our strawberries from a local producer. Our organic strawberries in the store are $5.00 for a little tiny package so it's hard to but strawberries when our local producer is not selling them.

bcogoli May 30th, 2013 09:46 AM

I try to buy organic, the cost does limit how much i can buy. My family eats a ton of fruits and veggies so i mainly buy those organic. We hardly drink milk since my DS is allergic to it but when the baby starts drinking milk i will probably try to get that organic too. We have a Weghmans near us and they have great prices for organic food so that makes it easier, considering i also have to try to buy milk free products.

BeckyBozeman May 30th, 2013 03:01 PM

Joy a good rule of thumb is to look at the peel of the fruit or veggie too... things that have thin skins, especially ones that you eat, tend to have the most pesticides. I don't worry about it with things like citrus or bananas because their skins are so thick and you don't eat them. The dirty dozen link that Melissa posted is a great resource. I believe that the list has just changed in the last month or so.

It makes me angry that it costs so much more to buy good, healthy food than it does to buy crap.

melissalaw May 31st, 2013 07:07 AM

Ditto Becky. We spend a fortune on groceries every week. We have just cut back in other places so we can try to buy healthy food. it does make me angry that it costs so much to eat healthy.