JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Kody has a UTI (x-posted from my ddc) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2655441-kody-has-uti-x-posted-my-ddc.html)

EverydayJoy June 2nd, 2013 10:46 PM

Kody has a UTI (x-posted from my ddc)

Kody has been especially fussy since Friday afternoon, so much so that I called the doc's office. Since he was still peeing and pooping normally, and had no fever, they said it was my call as to whether I wanted to bring him in. Saturday I called because he was still fussy and they had no appointments, and I didn't want to go to ER for just a fussy baby. But when he was still fussy and hard to console this morning, I decided it was time to take him in.
At the ER the doc looked at him briefly and pretty much decided that he just needed a change in formula. (i.e., probably just gas.) I asked if they could do a bag catch on urine for him, since I really didn't want him to get catheterized yet again, but still wanted to check his urine. The doc agreed, but I don't think he thought it was necessary. Lo and behold, he had leukocytes (white blood cells--indicator of infection) and some trace blood in his urine. Poor little bub! In one way I'm kind of relieved because now I know what's wrong and we can treat him. They sent me home with an Rx for antibiotics and told me to follow up with his doc's office. They'll culture his urine. I feel so bad for this little guy, he's been through so much already in his short 3 weeks of life.

bcogoli June 3rd, 2013 04:31 AM

Re: Kody has a UTI (x-posted from my ddc)

Oh Joy im sorry. Its so hard when your baby is sick. Prayers for both of you. Kody is so lucky to have such a strong mommy.

melissalaw June 3rd, 2013 06:13 AM

I'm so sorry. Hopefully the antibiotic will kick in quick and he will be good as new. Hopefully once he's feeling better the fussiness will get alot better.

EverydayJoy June 3rd, 2013 08:59 AM

Thanks you two! Kody is seeming like he's feeling better this morning, and I'm so relieved! He's much less fussy than he has been the last 3 days.

Ame C June 4th, 2013 08:47 PM

Poor little guy, and mommy :( but I'm glad to hear he's acting like he feels a bit better.

EverydayJoy June 4th, 2013 10:40 PM

Thanks, Ame. He is definitely improving! The antibiotics are giving him diarrhea, poor guy, but not too terribly. Just keeping him hydrated with frequent nursing and once in awhile I'm giving him a bottle of water too. So far he's doing much better though.

melissalaw June 5th, 2013 05:49 AM

Glad he is improving. Make sure you put plenty of diaper cream on his little butt. that is one thing I hate about the antibiotics is the diarrhea they get with it. Jacob gets a diaper rash everytime he is on the darn things.

EverydayJoy June 5th, 2013 09:18 AM

Yup I use it every diaper change, which is pretty often, poor guy.