JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Doppler woes (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2658611-doppler-woes.html)

Ame C June 14th, 2013 11:22 AM

Doppler woes

I have played with my doppler about 4-5 times now. I never heard the baby's heartbeat until 9 weeks. I found the "wind tunnel" then I could hear my hb and another slightly faster hb, baby. My hb was louder so the doppler never actually registered on how many bpm baby's rate was but I didn't mind because everything is still so tiny... I was just glad to finally hear it. I tried again today, found the "wind tunnel noise" and I can hear my hb but no extra hearts beating. *sighs* I have to be honest, I'm feeling a bit on edge and freaking out. My appointment is on Monday and now I'm feeling, stressed out.

Could it be possible to miss the hb if I have heard it already last week? When do the dopplers start working really well without having to struggle to find anything? My morning sickness feels like it's improving (still here but getting better) and now because of the doppler issues, the lack of m/s is starting to freak me out more!! I just needed to get that out to someone. DH doesn't like me playing with the doppler because it always puts me in freak out mode (except last week when I actually heard something).

humnck June 14th, 2013 11:28 AM

Re: Doppler woes

You are still early, I was the same way. I got it on the doppler at around 9 weeks, some days I couldn't get it. Try drinking some cold water, lay down very still and try again. It may or may not work, but try not to freak out too much. And one thing my doc said was, some days you will feel like dirt, others you will feel great, don't let the days you feel great freak you out - easier said than done, but maybe it will help a little :)

Ame C June 14th, 2013 12:22 PM

Thank you. It is hard not to let my mind wander to depressing places, but I'm trying my best to brush it off. I do feel better that you mentioned you had the same troubles around the same time. I really am hoping everything's fine and it's still early to be trying the doppler.

momof8lopez June 14th, 2013 10:58 PM

I had hit and misses all the way to 12wks. I found the h/b this time at 7wks. But I was a nut job and would try MULTIPLE times a day until I did FIND it, lol. I can tell you that a full bladder v's a empty or semi full makes a huge difference right now. When my bladder was full, I'd find baby about 2 inches off my pelvic bone all the way to the left. When my bladder was empty, it was almost under the pubic bone. If I ate recently, it was very difficult to find the baby over all the intenstine sounds. It does become much easier after 12wks, but then they move so much that it's never in the same spot.

Try not to freak, give it a few hours in between checking, and I'm sure you will find that little one!

EverydayJoy June 15th, 2013 07:15 AM

I know in my DDC that a bunch of mamas had freak out times early on, too, because they had a hard time finding baby's HB. Even later on in the pregnancy, some moms were still having times where baby seemed to be "hiding" and couldn't be found. Heck, I'd go in for my prenatal checkups, and even well into the pregnancy (even after 20 weeks) there were times my doctor couldn't find Kody on the doppler. She would wheel in their portable u/s machine to check his HB during those times, so that I wouldn't freak out.
I know I had days in the first trimester where I was sure my boobs were deflating and I was feeling better. Freaked me out because that happened with the m/c, I started to feel better and then lost the baby. I can't tell you how many times I POAS trying to reassure myself.

Sunrise June 15th, 2013 07:10 PM

Ame!! I hear your Doppler woes! I still can't find beanie's hb with mine. I'm sorry you're worried. Please know you're not alone. :dothug:

Ame C June 16th, 2013 11:58 AM

Thank you xoxo
I haven't tried the doppler again in fear I wont hear anything and start freaking out more. I think it's best I wait until Monday for professionals to give it a try. I'm hoping I get an ultrasound but nothing like that was mentioned to me. Actually, I have no idea what they have planned for me during my next visit.

You ladies made some good point though, about trying to use the doppler after eating or with an empty bladder. I'm using those excuses to keep my mind from going crazy. My bladder WAS empty and I did hear a lot of digestion noises, or so I think. I'm a bit nervous for tomorrow but then again I always get butterflies in my stomach when appointments are drawing near. Jeeze I hope I get an u/s!! I want to see how much our little spec has grown. ^_^

EverydayJoy June 16th, 2013 01:37 PM

Ame, you can always ask for one if they don't bring it up!

Sunrise June 17th, 2013 05:09 AM

Ame good luck today! Please post an update. What time zone are you in?
--hugs--

melissalaw June 17th, 2013 05:54 AM

Amy I hope your doing ok. The doppler is wonderful but at the same time it is bad thing. I couldn't find Jacob's consistently until around 12 weeks and even then sometimes I had a hard time. I would freak myself out also. My dr got onto me several times and told me to stop using it because it was driving me nuts but of course I didnt' listen to him and still used it alot.

Baby is still very small at this point so hopefully baby was hiding and you just couldn't locate it. I think for alot of women their morning sickness eases up towards the end of the first trimester so hopefully your just one of those women who gets better with their morning sickness.

I'm praying for a wonderful appointment for you. I know my dr will check first with the doppler and then if they can't find a heartbeat then they will do an ultrasound. Please let us know how it goes.

EverydayJoy June 17th, 2013 08:02 AM

Wondering when your appointment is today. KUP!

humnck June 17th, 2013 10:45 AM

Good luck today!