JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Failed my 1hr GD challenge (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2660051-failed-my-1hr-gd-challenge.html)

L-SBB June 20th, 2013 06:29 AM

Failed my 1hr GD challenge

SIGH SIGH SIGH

Like I needed anything more to worry about with this pregnancy, and despite having zero issue passing GD challenge with Savannah's pregnancy - maybe I had intuition with this one because I decided to voluntarily fast for the 1hr (I didn't have to, but they told me it'd be more accurate if I did) and I STILL FAILED IT. Ugh, so next Thur I go back for the awful 3hr challenge and I'm honestly really depressed now because I just know I'm going to fail it too...failing the 1hr to me just seems like such a bad sign even though I know a lot of women fail the 1hr but pass the 3hr.

I might as well just pack my bags and go live in the high risk OB's office for next 3 months if I fail this, i'm sure I'll get a whole new round of stress tests & whatnot if I have GD :(

Anyone in here have or have had GD with prev pregnancies...can you tell me what i'm looking at diet wise, testing, etc. if I do have it?

melissalaw June 20th, 2013 07:02 AM

Re: Failed my 1hr GD challenge

I'm so sorry. When I was pregnant with Jackson I failed the one hour test but then passed the 3 hour test. the 3 hour test does stink.

My dr has me fast from midnight until they test me the next morning. Did you dr not have you fast the entire night? Wonder if that might affect the test. Before my 3 hour test I had some salmon and green beans the night before then fasted the night until the next morning and passed. I ate the exact same thing before my 1 hour test with Jacob and passed so I think sometimes your results might be based on what you eat before the test. did you fail by alot or just a few points?

L-SBB June 20th, 2013 07:13 AM

they didn't tell me how badly I failed - I will ask when I go in for the 3hr. I voluntarily fasted for the 1hr - they told me I didn't have to, but I was so anxious to avoid the 3hr one I did anyway, and I started at like 9pm with only water and test was at 9am next morning.

Since fasting is mandatory for the 3hr, they told me only water after midnight but i'll do something similar with low carb/high protein dinner and nothing but water after 9pm...I wish I felt more optimistic about passing. The nurse said if I fail 2 out of the 3 draws they will consider that a fail and I get the GD label....that worries me because it seems certain i'll fail the 1hr again since I just did which really means if I don't pass at 2hr mark then then 3hr mark is meaningless, even if I pass at 3hrs they'll still consider the test failed.

humnck June 20th, 2013 07:52 AM

I wish I had advice, I just wanted to say I hope you pass the 3 hour!

melissalaw June 20th, 2013 08:50 AM

I know I failed the one hour by just a point or two so hopefully you didn't fail by much and can pass the next one. Good Luck. When do you have to take it?

Pitridge June 20th, 2013 08:50 AM

Lara, I;m sorry you failed the GD test, it does not mean you failed the 3hrs test. Do you remember Michelle? She was pg at the same time as me with Alex, she failed the 3hrs test and had to go on a diet for it, for what I remember, it was hard at first, but it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be.
When do you have to go in?

L-SBB June 20th, 2013 09:06 AM

thanks ladies...I know it's not the end of the world if I have GD, I just really didn't need yet another complication with this pregnancy - i'm already worried enough as it is :(

I go in for the 3hr on next Thur (6/27) and should have results Fri morning.

EverydayJoy June 20th, 2013 09:43 AM

Oh Lara, how frustrating! I hope your three hour test goes super well! I know I would be so disappointed if I were in your shoes. And I didn't even have half of the concerns that you do with my pregnancy. Any additional worry just makes it that much more difficult. Keep us posted with what happens!

Ame C June 20th, 2013 01:32 PM

I hope everything goes well with your 3 hour test. I'm sorry the stress is so relentless :( ((hugs))

kaylakay June 21st, 2013 09:45 AM

I hope you pass the 3 hour test dear!

I'm so sorry your stressed.

momof8lopez June 22nd, 2013 07:41 AM

I failed the 1hr with 1 out of my 7 baby's. I failed it by 1pt. But doc said its a pass/fail, pt's don't matter. I was devastated. I only fasted 2hrs before the 1hr test, as instructed. I fasted from midnight to 9am for the 3hr test and past perfectly. I really think you fasted too long for this one hour test and maybe that had something to do with how you processed the sugar. Try and relax, so many women fail the 1hr and pass the 3hr.....it's crazy!

sandel07 June 22nd, 2013 10:33 AM

I failed the 1 hour test and failed the 3 hour test....

I am sure you will pass the 3 hour test, BUT if you don't it really isn't that bad. Of course there are days here and there where your going to have a poor me day but overall the 'diet' is very easy to follow. All I really had to do was count carbs and test my blood sugar 4 times a day. By counting carbs my sugar levels were in the normal or passing range, the only time my sugars were high were when I cheated and I always new before I tested that they would be bad.....you have to cheat once in awhile.

The worst part of the whole thing is having to see the endocrinologist every two weeks just to be told your doing fine, keep up the good work....just to add my doctor said you did not fail with flying color (just barely failed) but we still have to treat you for gestational diabetes.

Good Luck!!!

sandel07 June 22nd, 2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L-SBB (Post 27462718)
they didn't tell me how badly I failed - I will ask when I go in for the 3hr. I voluntarily fasted for the 1hr - they told me I didn't have to, but I was so anxious to avoid the 3hr one I did anyway, and I started at like 9pm with only water and test was at 9am next morning.

Since fasting is mandatory for the 3hr, they told me only water after midnight but i'll do something similar with low carb/high protein dinner and nothing but water after 9pm...I wish I felt more optimistic about passing. The nurse said if I fail 2 out of the 3 draws they will consider that a fail and I get the GD label....that worries me because it seems certain i'll fail the 1hr again since I just did which really means if I don't pass at 2hr mark then then 3hr mark is meaningless, even if I pass at 3hrs they'll still consider the test failed.

When I had the 3 hour test I passed the 1st hour then failed the 2nd and 3rd draws....

stargatemommy June 22nd, 2013 11:02 AM

Sorry hun! What was your number? Many people fail the 1hr then pass the 3 hr just fine. My 1 hr test was so high that I was diagnosed with GD right away. I still did the 3 hr and passed out, which is an automatic fail....

Try not to worry yet. :)