JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Working or Stay at Home Mom? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2668064-working-stay-home-mom.html)

melissalaw July 26th, 2013 07:34 AM

Working or Stay at Home Mom?

Do you work outside the home or do you stay at home with the kids?
If you stay at home, did you work before your kids were born?

Pregnant mommies: If you work are you planning on going back after the baby is born or will you stay at home?

I so wish that I could stay at home with my kids but we just can't afford it so I do work. Thankfully I love my job so that makes it easier. I will take some time off after this baby is born but I will probably go back to work around 8 weeks or so.

EverydayJoy July 26th, 2013 08:09 AM

Re: Working or Stay at Home Mom?

I'm a stay at home mom. I worked until about 2 weeks before Ethan was born, then quit. I haven't worked since. Some days I wish I worked part time or something! Other days I wonder if I'd be able to make it in the workforce again, because I feel so out of touch! Hah.

Sunrise July 26th, 2013 09:46 AM

This is a touchy subject for me. I always dreamed I'd stay home. Totally make baby food and have a perfect house... Unfortunately, financially- I have to work. I bought an insurance package when we started TTC which will let me stay out for 6 months. My plan is to go on leave 3 weeks before and stay out the 6 months. If dreams come true, ill go back part time instead of full time-but it depends on $$.

geogeek July 26th, 2013 09:52 AM

I am lucky to be a stay at home mom. I am a certified science teacher and I worked before I had M. I had to go back to work for a few months when DH was unemployed when M was 2 months old. I worked until she was about 9 months old when DH got a job.

Ame C July 26th, 2013 11:06 AM

I'm a house wife. Our plan was once I got pregnant (the first time) I would quit my job and be a stay at home mommy. Unfortunately things don't always go as we would hope. Sometimes I wish I still had a job because I get bored and lonely but hopefully soon I will get my mommy role. I'm blessed that DH is able to take care of us.

humnck July 26th, 2013 11:59 AM

I work, I think I always will, because I like to. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my kids and I LOVE being with them, but I am the type that needs the adult interaction and I like that I am using my degree, love the people I work with, love what I do! I do wish though, that the work week was a 4 day week and the weekend was 3 :)

AnnaBonana July 27th, 2013 05:56 AM

Well. Toughy.

My plan was always to be a work at home mom. DH is a farmer and when we got married we were to work together on the farm. I'll spare you the details but things got really nasty really quickly with his father treating me horribly. I went to my MIL for advice on how to deal with him and she said "oh, he's just treating you like family now".

Really.

So, I went back to work for the school board on an on-call basis. We are so rural and our road is not plowed in the winter, so for me to take anything permanent is almost impossible. Add gas prices to that... So, I'll be working on call through my pregnancy and then being a SAHM.

melissalaw July 30th, 2013 05:44 AM

Carey that adult interaction is nice to have. Plus I'm happy that when my kids go to school, I will have something to do everyday. But I definitely agree with you. I would love to work 4 days and have 3 days off.

sandel07 July 30th, 2013 05:21 PM

I have worked at home for 7 years or so....I expected to have to put Ella in daycare once my 12 week leave was up. Fortunately for me my two boys have been taking turns babysitting for me this summer and I think I will have a cousin who will be willing to come to my house part time to watch her during the school year. I am paying my sons and will obviously pay my cousin so my decision isn't about money, its about avoiding daycare and being able to see her everyday, all day.

AimeeD041727 July 31st, 2013 01:05 PM

I've been a stay at home mom for 8 years now. Before Gianna came, I was a nurse in an internal medicine practice.

BeckyBozeman July 31st, 2013 07:41 PM

I've always wanted to stay home with my kids, at least when they are little, and I'm lucky to have a partner that is willing to support me in that. My plan is to go back to work when our kids are in school all day.

Before Regan came I was a manager at the local food Coop and really loved my job. Right now I sub for them when they need help, if I can... I do miss the adult interaction, for sure!