JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   first post in this board - concerned about risks of D&C (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2671056-first-post-board-concerned-about-risks-d-and-c.html)

mom2ariana August 8th, 2013 02:10 PM

first post in this board - concerned about risks of D&C

I suffered a miscarriage a couple of weeks ago. There was no heartbeat on ultrasounds. I had a D&C yesterday. That was my second D&C.

I'm worried about cervical incompetence. My OBGYN said that the risk was extremely small, but I'm still concerned. I have a follow up appointment with her next week, where I plan to ask her again. But in the meantime, do any of you have experience with this or did you have a successful pregnancy after 2 or more D&C's? I had my daughter full term in between both of mine.

momof8lopez August 8th, 2013 03:30 PM

Re: first post in this board - concerned about risks of D&C

I have had many d&c's, 5 over my life time. I had 2 before my first baby, and 3 more in between all the other's. (medical reasons and m/c's). I have had 7 vaginal births with no complications of my cervix or placenta being birthed. (another risk factor for multiple d&c's). Ive been full term with all of them.

They will monitor you more, checking cervical length at 13wks and 20wks.....this is standard now a days anyway, as incompetent cervix can strike any woman, at any time. Make sure to stress this to your dr. during your next pregnancy. Praying for a rainbow baby in your very near future, and Im so sorry for your recent loss.

EverydayJoy August 8th, 2013 07:29 PM

I don't have anything to add, I've only had one D&C, and a healthy baby afterwards. But I wanted to say welcome to our board, and I'm sorry for your loss. How far along were you, if you don't mind me asking?

AimeeD041727 August 9th, 2013 07:26 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a D & E done and went on to conceive my son 2 months later. I didn't have any issues during the pregnancy.

melissalaw August 9th, 2013 08:39 AM

I'm so sorry for you loss. I only had one D & C and then went on 2 months later to get pregnant and give birth to my second son.

Lori is a great example of someone who has given birth after multiples D & C's so I would say it is definitely possible. Your dr will most likely just keep a close eye on things.

humnck August 9th, 2013 08:59 AM

First, I am sorry for your loss.

I had a D&E, one month later got pregnant DD1, no issues with placenta or cervix. I had another D&E, one month later got pregnant with DD2, again, no placenta or cervix issues. It is definitely possible to have a healthy pregnancy after a D&C/D&E, but I can understand your worry.

L-SBB August 9th, 2013 02:49 PM

I am very sorry for your loss...2 of my 4 losses had to be completed by D&C, and I had the same concern you did (also with scarring/adhesion concerns about D&Cs generally) with my 2nd one, but the risks are very small of that type of complication and I've had no cervical issues at all with this pregnancy (my last D&C was for the pregnancy immediately before this one). Wishing you the very best of luck when you TTC again ((((HUGS))))