JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Lady, Step away from the potato chips! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2672236-lady-step-away-potato-chips.html)

lelila August 14th, 2013 07:44 AM

Lady, Step away from the potato chips!

This has become a bit of a problem. Last night my son and I went through half a bag together. I crave them all the time. I was awake at 4 AM and they were all I could think about. Well, that and puking.

There has to be an alternative to poor eating. I work from home, and I sit at a desk all day. I don't want to gain alot of weight due to poor eating choices.

EverydayJoy August 14th, 2013 08:07 AM

Re: Lady, Step away from the potato chips!

I'm sorry! But you know, even if potato chips are all you can eat, you are still keeping your blood sugar up, even if you're not getting all the variety of foods/nutrients you want. If you can gag down some gummy vitamins, you'll be able to at least have that out of the way and get what you need. Honestly, you have to do what works for you in the first trimester when you're so sick like that. I always gained fast in the first trimester, then put on weight more slowly in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters.

geogeek August 14th, 2013 08:18 AM

Unfortunately for me, with my pregnancy with DD, I was eating chips the first time that I hurled 3x in 15 minutes. It has made it a lot easier to stay away from them because they are horrid coming up. I agree that if that is all you can eat, it is better than not eating when you are so sick. I live off of ramen noodles right now. So healthy...

Ame C August 14th, 2013 08:29 AM

LOL's at the thread title! :D

I know it's not the same as the wonderfully salty potato chips from the store, but you can make your own at home. It's healthier. Slice potatoes very thin, coat in olive oil (I do this with a zip-lock baggy and shake it around until pieces are all coated) add salt or other seasonings and put potato slices on parchment paper and cook in oven until crispy.

I love apples, and you can make some awesome apple chips in the oven too! Slice apples thin, coat in cinnamon and sugar (I do this with a zip-lock baggy also) and put on parchment paper, bake in oven until crisp.

Mmmm, now your making me want to snack on some chips, but we don't have any right now.. :( I have the stuff to make some though. Question is do I have enough energy to do it? I already have a sink full of dishes that have been soaking and need to be cleaned. I'm so lazy today! Someone send me energy!!!!

lelila August 14th, 2013 09:00 AM

Thanks Ladies for the blessing to eat the chips. Amazingly, I've lost three pounds despite the bad eating. I do take my prenatals, and my 4 MG of folic every morning, choke down my toast and a slice of cheese. Amazingly, it's an hour before I start vomiting and nothing but the water I've been drinking comes up, so I'm grateful that my vitamins are staying down.

Ame, the homemade chips are a great idea! I'm HUGE on homemade everything. We have a farm and freeze and can everything, even grow our own potatoes, so it'll be easy to pop a few in the oven. Unfortunately, the local store had buy 2 get 3 bags of chips free so we have a lot of bags of yummy chips in the pantry.

humnck August 14th, 2013 09:28 AM

If you like sweet potatoes, you can make sweet potato chips too - for an alternative and to have some variety :) I LOVE them, I make mine a little thicker and like them wiggly...lol! I use sea salt, so it's a slightly healthier salt and I think it tastes better anyways.

I also agree, if it is what is helping you, as long as you are eating something, do it. I always lost weight in the first trimester because of the nausea. I was eating, and thought I was eating a lot, but I apparently wasn't. I wasn't vomiting, except like twice, but I still lost 2 lbs.

momof8lopez August 14th, 2013 09:37 AM

Potato chips were my craving with my last 2 baby's (including this one), both BOYS! I was eating a half bag a day of Frito Lay regular chips.......started at 8dpo and lasted through week 7.....was my first clue I was prego, lol

melissalaw August 14th, 2013 09:43 AM

have you tried Pop Chips? They are awesome and better for you than just regular chips. the homemade ones sound great also. I might have to try those. I know for me my eating is terrible during the first trimester. I just eat what I can stomach. I just try to eat better when I get into the second trimester and start feeling better.

AnnaBonana August 14th, 2013 06:59 PM

I second pop chips! As far as healthy chips go, they're pretty good!

I'm not really able to eat much right now, so I've been living off toast which makes me cringe. Usually I don't even keep bread in the house! But it is very true, you do what you can do. I'm down five pounds between not being able to eat anything and the bug I've got.

You may as well enjoy them, I say. Good luck!