JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Back ache :( (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2672647-back-ache.html)

Ame C August 16th, 2013 04:02 AM

Back ache :(

I'm thinking with my sudden ravenous appetite and now this morning waking up at 4 am with a back ache, baby MUST be going through a growth spurt. It doesn't hurt really bad, but it's uncomfortable and was a bit more painful when it first woke me up. I'm drinking water and relaxing in bed with the tv on now, but curious what things cause back pain in pregnancy? Or it is just part of the growing pains?

With my first pregnancy I remember having some extreme back pains early on, around 6-8 weeks. Then of course by the end of my pregnancy my back would get sore if I was active during the day. I'm not really used to random soreness/aching in my back, but I assume it's normal... right??

melissalaw August 16th, 2013 06:00 AM

Re: Back ache :(

Did you sleep funny last night? I woke up last Saturday morning and my back was killing me and I'm pretty sure it was because I slept funny and hurt my back. Try a heating pad. that does wonders for me. The only other time I can remember my back hurting was when my belly started getting big. That caused my back to hurt bad.

Ame C August 16th, 2013 06:28 AM

I'm not sure if I slept funny. There is always that possibility. My back is still bothering me and I get occasional twinges of pain on my lower sides or high up closer to my rib cage. Like I said it's not horribly painful, but it is uncomfortable. I don't have an electric heating pad anymore. My pomeranian chewed through the cord when he was a pup and we never got another one. I could try using a warm bottle and see if that helps. Thanks for the idea, I hadn't thought about that. I was thinking a warm bath, maybe, but I'm so paranoid. I haven't been able to bring myself to take a bath that actually has much warmth to it.

melissalaw August 16th, 2013 06:31 AM

Baths scare me also. yes try a warm water bottle and see if that helps. heat always helps me.

EverydayJoy August 16th, 2013 08:44 AM

From what I understand about baths, it's just that you don't want to get yourself overheated. The baby is right in there next to your "core", where your body regulates the temperature and the amniotic fluid keeps it all consistent. But if you get so hot that you're overheated, your body can't keep the core temp consistent. That's the only concern. So in my opinion, hot baths are ok so long as you don't get to where you're sweating or feel overly hot. You could always sit up in the bath so your upper body stays out and you could even have a fan blowing on you. But a hot pack sure is easier!
What about an epsom salts bath? It's good for sore muscles. Arnica gel is also good for that.
I don't recall a specific time around your gestation that I was having a sore back, but I do know that pregnancy hormones make all your joints loosen up. Maybe you had a surge of hormones and it helped your back go out on you? Just a thought.