JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Ultrasound pics (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2673509-ultrasound-pics.html)

Ame C August 19th, 2013 08:58 PM

Ultrasound pics

Okay now that things are calming down over here, I can post a more detailed update. Everything went well. Baby boy was facing my spine so the ultrasound tech couldn't get his nose and mouth measurements. I asked why that was important because I didn't know. She said it would tell us whether or not he has a cleft. She was poking and wiggling my stomach trying to get this chap to turn his head. She was able to get 1 picture of his face before he turned his head away again, so she never did get her measurements. Baby's legs were stretched out as far as they could go. Looked like he's making himself at home in there. She was able to get a really good view of his goods. There was one thing that happened that had me a little startled at first. Baby's heart rate has always been in the higher ranges, around 170. When the u/s tech took the heart reading, she said 130 bpm. I was a bit confused as to why it would be so low? She checked again for me and it was at 165 bpm. She said sometimes the probe can cause the heart rate to slow down but it doesn't harm the baby.....!!!?? I've never heard of that. I'm thinking maybe she did the reading wrong the first time?? Otherwise the whole probe causing the heart to slow down thing freaks me out a little.

I mentioned placenta encapsulation to my Dr. He acted like I was totally crazy and said he has NEVER had ANYONE take their placenta. That he had never heard of it and asked what the benefits of "Eating your placenta" would be. Once I was done telling him the benefits to cracked a joke about how I would "Put a juicy slice on top of my hamburger." I said it wasn't all cannibalistic like he's thinking and told him the process of how you dry the placenta in an oven or dehydrator, grind it up into a powder and put it in an empty pill case. By the end of the conversation he was still acting like I'm cuckoo. Whatever... *rolls eyes* :rolleyes:

I also asked if I could get the gestational diabetes test done before 26-28 weeks like they had planned. My dr acted like he was totally cool with that and scheduled it during my next appointment in 4 weeks (Sept 16th). I'm not SUPER thrilled about the whole testing thing but it's something that needs to be done anyways. I would feel better if it was done sooner than later.

Here are the pics I have. I didn't get any profile pictures of his face either :( He's a shy guy that just wanted to chill out in the womb. Looked like all he needed was a beach towel and a drink with a little umbrella in it.

Boy parts
http://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...4b111517f7.jpg

Two legs
http://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...cb02960f56.jpg

Leg and foot
http://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...a815912dbc.jpg

Adorably creepy little baby face ;)
http://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...67b9d74dcc.jpg

AnnaBonana August 19th, 2013 09:49 PM

Re: Ultrasound pics

Wow, his legs really are stretched out in there! Can you feel it when he does that? I'd be scared too about the heart rate but as long as it went right back up.

I find doctors all treat you like you're crazy as soon as you do anything they're not familiar with. It's like they're trained for it in med school.

I'm glad you're getting the testing done, although that does seem like a ling wait. Hopefully all goes well!

Great pics they are so fun to look at!

Ame C August 19th, 2013 10:08 PM

I could tell he was breach instead of facing up and down because of the length of the "hard lump" in my stomach. I didn't know he had his legs stretched out, but maybe that's part of the reason why I feel a lot of movement, because he's making himself at home in there. I'm thinking he looks like he will be taller than Clyde was. Clyde was a bit of a shorty at 19-1/2 inches long. I asked if the u/s tech could tell how long he was but she said it's hard to tell... I didn't even get a guess from her.

I think Dr's think they are smarter than most. Sure maybe they are, but they lack a lot of street smarts and socail skills :p

Sunrise August 20th, 2013 05:54 AM

Great pics thanks for sharing!!

Maybe we should make a seperste thread for ongoing convo about placenta encap. THen we can all ask our providers and see what kind of differnt responses we all get :)

melissalaw August 20th, 2013 06:57 AM

I wonder if somehow the probe picked up your heart rate. I know with my handheld doppler sometimes it seems to pick up both heart rates at the same time. I would think that may have been what happened. I've never heard of the probe making the heart rate drop.

And your dr must be totally out of the loop. While my dr doesn't really agree with the whole taking your placenta with you, I do know that he has let other patients do it. My husband totally freaked out when I mentioned it so I won't be doing it.

Great little pictures. I'm so happy for you and your little boy!!

Glad he's going to go ahead and do the diabetes test. I really don't think you have anything to worry about but it will put your mind at ease.

momof8lopez August 20th, 2013 08:55 AM

The 130 range sounds completely normal. When the baby is active now at this point, it will get higher (170 range) and when he stops for a moment, it takes a deep drop and comes into a normal range again. Also, pressing on the probe can cause the heart to slow a little bit, and then it resumes again after a moment. Baby is bigger now, so it will not always be in the high range anymore, only when he's very active. Very normal.

I love the pick of his leg outstretched........looks like he's getting ready to run a marathon, lol....cute little face too! They don't take measurements of the nose and mouth, just a visual pic to see if clef is present......he looks perfect!

AimeeD041727 August 20th, 2013 09:40 AM

Yay, for a baby boy! It is completely normal for the baby's heart rate to rise and fall especially depending on the baby's activity. I've never heard of the probe causing anything like that. Did you ask the doctor?

I had my GD test done early and then again at the normal time frame.

Sending thoughts and prayers for you and your little man!

EverydayJoy August 20th, 2013 11:31 AM

Hmm your doctor isn't the nicest guy, is he? Hah. I've read a lot about eating your placenta, so how is it that a layperson knows more about this than a doctor? Hah, maybe because he doesn't know it all! lol. My mom says that after all the years of med school, it either breaks you or makes you think you're God. lol. My guess is that your doctor has a bit of a god-complex. If HE hasn't heard of it, it must not exist! Hopefully he will go home though, and Google it!

Thanks for sharing pics of your sweet little boy! Too bad you couldn't get a face shot, those are always precious! But soon enough, you will see it :)

Ame C August 20th, 2013 12:43 PM

Joy, I told my Dr to google it and he said "Oh i believe you, it's just strange and I've never had anyone ask to take their placenta home before."

Then... knowing his wife is a Registered midwife (I figured this out by researching my dr more on the internet) I said "You're going to go home to your wife and tell her about the crazy woman today." -- meaning me. He said "Oh I'm sure she's probably heard of it before." In a snarky voice.

Ugh!! Yes, he seems like he has the "God complex." Or at least in his mind. I can't say I hate the man, but he does rub me the wrong way. I feel a bit like I'm stuck with him. There really are no other good Dr's near me that I haven't already been to and left because I didn't like them. There is one dr I haven't seen that is supposed to be awesome, but he is a little farther away and located in a Hospital that I DO NOT want to deliver at. It's in a really bad part of town and the Hospital has some bad reviews from some people we know.

It would be nice to get at least one good look baby boy's face before he is born. I like the cute little profile pictures and dreaming about what baby may look like. :wub:

EverydayJoy August 20th, 2013 02:21 PM

Aw, that sucks that you're pretty much stuck with this guy. It's hard enough being pregnant after a loss when you have a good doctor.

PS I wanted to say I love your new siggy!!

Ame C August 20th, 2013 02:28 PM

Thank you :smile: I don't know how people make siggies on a daily basis. I think it's HARD!

EverydayJoy August 20th, 2013 03:29 PM

It is! And it takes a lot of time! Did you make this one yourself?

Ame C August 20th, 2013 03:47 PM

Yes, I make all my siggies. I've had 1 person make me a siggy and it took a long time. I don't want to bother anyone, so I do it myself now.

humnck August 21st, 2013 12:35 PM

COngrats on a boy! So exciting! Love the u/s pics!