JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   I have an appointment with a dr! **update #19** (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2673757-i-have-appointment-dr-update-19-a.html)

AnnaBonana August 20th, 2013 08:26 PM

I have an appointment with a dr! **update #19**

I managed to get an appointment at my GPs office tomorrow at two! I can't get in with a GYN until September so this is good news for me!

I'm already going to mention to him excessive thirst and constipation. I'm hoping he will say a stool softener will help. But since my flu went away, I've felt fabulous and had no symptoms other than those.

Anything I should expect? Should I ask anything? Also, do you think a regular and very small town GP will have a Doppler to listen to a heartbeat? I'd really love to hear it and make sure all is well. Can he listen for it with a stethoscope?

Thanks ladies!! I'm so excited for this appointment!

Ame C August 20th, 2013 09:36 PM

Re: I have an appointment with a dr!

That's great news! I'm sure they will tell you what to do about the constipation or write you a prescription for something. I don't know if they will be able to use a doppler on you if your still really early because a lot of the time you wont be able to hear anything yet. I doubt they would use a stethoscope, it doesn't seem like something they would normally do. I can't wait to hear your update. Good luck tomorrow :smile:

EverydayJoy August 20th, 2013 09:36 PM

Hooray for a doctor appointment!! Yippee!
As for what to expect, I think they'll probably weigh you, check your blood pressure, and do a health history. They might do a bunch of bloodwork, depending on when the doctor wants to do it. You might want to eat a hearty breakfast if you can stomach it, either that or bring some crackers or a snack along and something to drink, so that you don't get woozy when they draw your blood. Keeping your blood sugar up can help keep you conscious. :)
When they drew my blood, it seemed like it was something like 6 or so vials of blood, so it's kind of a lot. That's why I suggest eating well and staying hydrated.
I would think they should have a doppler, but if they don't, you could always ask your doc to order an ultrasound so you can check on baby. How far along are you again? Seems like in my experience they like to do an early ultrasound around 6 or 7 weeks to check viability and dating and all that jazz. I would definitely ask for one if your doc doesn't recommend it.

If you have any burning questions for your GP, I'd write them down. Sometimes in the flurry and excitement it's easy to forget what you wanted to ask, and then you're frustrated later because it can be so hard to get ahold of a doctor after the fact.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

momof8lopez August 21st, 2013 05:52 AM

I used to see a GP/OBGYN, he was both, and he did not check the h/b until after 12wks. This was of course over 20yrs ago, lol. He/she will order the blood work, and check you out completely, might refer you to the ob for all prenatal visits though. No matter what, seeing a dr. does make it feel more official, right? Good luck and can't wait to hear about your appt!

AnnaBonana August 21st, 2013 07:05 AM

Thanks Ladies! I really hope he does give me a script for a stool softener. Who knew this could be so painful! Oh dear :s

Thanks for all the suggestions Joy! I am planning a big breakfast today and I can't stop drinking water. So, hopefully no low blood sugar for me.

I woke up feeling really scared and anxious today. I'm scared that I will mention that I'd like to hear the heartbeat because I haven't since the scare with the bleeding two weeks ago and they will brush me off as though I'm "one of those hysterical women". And then it kind of struck me today that I've made it further in this pregnancy than I have before, but that's not really a guarantee.

Ok I'm just venting now so I'm going to go and try to have a positive morning. I wish this wasn't so stressful and I could just relax and enjoy.

melissalaw August 21st, 2013 08:08 AM

Good Luck. I saw my dr this morning and I've been having constipation problems and he told me to get an over the counter stool softner so I would bet your dr will tell you the same thing.

Let us know how it goes.

EverydayJoy August 21st, 2013 08:56 AM

Something that helps me with constipation too, is magnesium supplements. I take them before bed because they relax me too, so that helps me sleep. They definitely help keep things moving!

Good luck with your appointment. And I don't see anything wrong with asking to hear a heartbeat! I don't see that as you being hysterical or anything. Many women want to hear a heartbeat, whether they have had a loss or not.

humnck August 21st, 2013 12:47 PM

They can listen to the heartbeat through a stethoscope if they are old school, that is how they used to do it, but it really takes some skill! I would ask, the worst thing they can say is no :)

Usually the first visit is blood work orders (or they might do it in office), pee in a cup, weight, history, etc. They may order an u/s for dating purposes, viability. You want to see an OB, not just a GYN, or at least make sure that the GYN you are seeing handles births as well, because that is not what GYNs specialize in. Good luck!! Hope you feel better!

melissalaw August 21st, 2013 01:46 PM

How did it go?

Ame C August 21st, 2013 04:11 PM

Any updates for us? :smile:

AnnaBonana August 21st, 2013 06:23 PM

Re: I have an appointment with a dr! **update #11**

Well. That was not fun.

I have to first say that I looooooove my GP. The problem is that he is so, so hard to get in to see.

So, he started by reviewing what happened with my m/c in May. He reviewed the ultrasound that was done. That ultrasound was done the end of June and in the report it reads the findings as a "blah blah blah rupture".

He told me there is no such thing as a blah blah blah rupture. Reports are made by a talk to text machine that automatically faxes them out. This means that I actually had a blah blah blah STRUCTURE in my uterus after my m/c. The OBGYN I saw after that ultrasound is new to Canada, her English is very rough, and I'm guessing she assumed the follow up US would have been sooner than four months away.

So, my doc asked me what her advice was and when I told her that she said to go ahead and TTC, his head almost exploded. We did TTC, i got pregnant. He also said my HCG results were not good as they were exceptionally high and not doubling. (9000 and 15000). We discussed the bleeding I had two weeks ago and he asked me about my pregnancy symptoms, of which I have none. Then he went a little nuts.

He ordered an ultrasound right there from his office and gave the hospital staff heck for cancelling my ultrasound that should have been on Monday. He told them i MUST have a US tomorrow. Unfortunately he did say "i have a patient who may be miscarrying and this needs to get done."

Then he went to his receptionist in front of me and told her I need an appointment Friday afternoon. She said there was nothing and he just repeated FRIDAY AFTERNOON, grabbed my paperwork and started stuffing it in the fax machine. I thanked him so much for his time and he smiled at me and said "this is clearly an urgent matter".

So I guess now here I am again, playing the waiting game that is TTC. Wait for an ultrasound, wait for results. Thank God my wait is only 24 hours. I have an appointment for my ultrasound tomorrow at two and a follow up with my doc Friday at 12:45.

So that's my update. I'm just trying to stay calm. DH is going to leave the farm tomorrow and come with me to the hospital. I guess I just go from there.

Thanks for all the responses and for checking in on me. I'll post back tomorrow evening.

EverydayJoy August 21st, 2013 06:44 PM

Oh my. That is distressing news. I'm sorry you are having to go through this now! It's so maddening that nobody followed up with you properly after your m/c and now you have this bad report from your doctor. My heart goes out to you! Hang in there, soon you will know for sure what's going on! I say if you don't know for sure after your ultrasound tomorrow, to just call the doctor's office right away and get the results. They should be able to tell you sooner than the next day after that!

Ame C August 21st, 2013 09:02 PM

OMG that sounds like a horrifying appointment.... sending you my thoughts and prayers!! I don't even know what to say, I'm just so so soo sorry that you are having to deal with this. It should have been avoided and it's soooo not fair to you. ((big hugs))!!!!

Empty arms August 22nd, 2013 03:47 AM

Now, I don't think you "may" be misscarrying. C'mon. He is right to worry and order the US asap, but that's a stretch...
After 6.000 the beta takes longer to double. Mine went from 14.900 to 19.000 in 48 hours...
I just pray this day flies by and you get a heart warming heartbeat!!!! Maybe today will be hell, but hopefully tonight you'll be in heaven!

melissalaw August 22nd, 2013 05:53 AM

I'm so sorry that you had such a bad appointment. I hate it when dr's don't follow up like they should and now it is causing you unneeded stress. I hope that 2:00 comes quickly for you today and that you get some good news. I agree that with numbers that high they are not going to be doubling. I'm praying for you. So glad that your DH is going to go with you.

humnck August 22nd, 2013 08:13 AM

I'm so sorry, I'm glad you like your doctor and that he is treating this as an urgent matter. I also agree, you may be far enough along that your numbers are not going to double "properly" anymore. Fingers crossed for you!

geogeek August 22nd, 2013 09:09 AM

I am sorry that everything is so worrisome, but I am glad that you are getting proper care with an ultrasound soon. :dothug:

kaylakay August 22nd, 2013 03:06 PM

I am so sorry. That is a horrible appointment. Best of luck to you tomorrow sweetie.

AnnaBonana August 22nd, 2013 05:18 PM

Had the ultrasound!

We are FINE!!

I got to see my little baby, DH was with me. Baby wiggled and kicked a foot while we were watching.

Baby did measure 9weeks 1 day which is IMPOSSIBLE. I O'd at earliest on July 8. And we didn't DTD for five days before that. My DH is kind of a huge guys (he's six foot five and while I'm only five foot nine my brothers are also six three and six seven. So neither of exactly have tiny genes behind us). The tech did say that with how large we are, it's possible that that the baby is just large as well.

I don't really care about measurements right now. The relief is just so huge. I have a follow up,with my doctor tomorrow at 12:45 so I will have more info then.

Thanks so much for the support today, ladies. I needed it!

I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

Empty arms August 22nd, 2013 05:32 PM

Re: I have an appointment with a dr! **update #19**

Yaaaaay!! I just had a fit because I was so worried!!! I knew it!!!
There's a strong and healthy little bean on the way!!!