JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Baby sign language (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2674453-baby-sign-language.html)

EverydayJoy August 23rd, 2013 04:16 PM

Baby sign language

This was brought up in our DDC today, and it made me curious. Are any of your planning to use sign language with your babies? Or maybe used it in the past? I did it with Ethan when he was old enough to try to communicate but not old enough to talk. He would get really frustrated when he wanted something and I couldn't understand what it was he wanted, so I taught him a few simple signs like "all done", more, milk, drink, eat, hungry, thirsty, binkie, etc. It really helped both of us, because then I knew what he wanted and he was able to get it across to me. Just curious if anyone has thought of it. I will most likely do it again when Kody gets older.

Ame C August 23rd, 2013 05:03 PM

Re: Baby sign language

When I was a daycare teacher I was required to teach simple sign language to my class. Quite a few of them caught on fairly easy (11-24 month olds). Then they moved me to the newborn class because they were having an issue with the teacher and loved how organized I kept everything. My one year old mommies were NOT happy that they moved me. Anyways, it wasn't required to teach the babies sign language but I would do it anyways. That way by the time they graduated to the 1 year old class they would already know a few of the simple signs. I really liked it and I'm planning on teaching our baby things like "more, hungry, and milk." Those are pretty handy!

EverydayJoy August 23rd, 2013 05:38 PM

That's so cool Amy!

AnnaBonana August 23rd, 2013 08:34 PM

I probably will. I work with kids who have autism and really giving non verbal kids that key to a successful interaction can put a stop to so many tantrums and meltdowns. I really believe in sign and will probably refresh myself on all the basic words and items so that baby and I can have some success.

I have a niece who is 2.5 and completely non verbal. Se seems right on in all her other developmental milestones and it has been on the tip of my tongue to offer to work with her a couple days a week to do signing but I haven't. I'm not sure how my SIL would react to it. She's having trouble reinforcing the signing herself so my niece isn't using it nearly as effectively as she could. It breaks my heart because she's such a bright girl!

And that's my PSA for the day on signing, LOL.

EverydayJoy August 24th, 2013 09:38 AM

Anna, I hope your SIL does more signing. What a great tool for a little girl who can't verbalize what she wants or needs. At that age she should be able to communicate very well in sign language. You could always try to break the ice by saying you saw some interesting video for teaching sign, or you read some article, etc, and see if maybe she talks about it some and get a feel for her opinion on it? Then you could offer help if she seems to sound receptive.

lelila August 24th, 2013 03:46 PM

My son was nonverbal until 27 months. Not even "no". We started signing to him at 18 mos. We put him in speech therapy at 24 mos and he was caught up by 4 yrs old. DH and I still sign to each other regularly since our son can spell anything now.

My son is 7 yrs old now and never stops talking. In fact, it's a bit of a problem sometimes. :)

AnnaBonana August 24th, 2013 04:09 PM

Joy, I wish she would too. They are having some behaviour problems that could really be alleviated by a better communication system. They saw a speech therapist who gave them the basic ones to start with, but if my neice has a tantrum they stop trying to get her to sign. Her receptive language is fabulous and like I said she's so bright! May e she will out grow it.

I do believe there is some sort of genetic predisposition to speech issues in my DH's family. DH's brother had such a severe speech problem that he had to go to a specialized school. He was four and had no words. My DH has a speech impediment that is manageable but if he is stressed at all it comes right back out. Their father has a stutter that he's learned to deal with by whispering. No one can ever hear / understand what he says.

EverydayJoy August 24th, 2013 09:19 PM

Anna, that's sad that it's so tough for her. Speech issues seem like they would be so embarrassing in a social situation.

humnck August 29th, 2013 01:58 PM

We sign simple things, but we also say the words and I try to get her to say them now that she can talk a little. My BIL would have my niece sign everything when she was little, her speech was slower and I believe it was because they didn't teach her words too, he was always encouraging her to sign. I think signing is great when verbalizing isn't possible for whatever reason, but I also think that sometimes it is overused. That said, Addy knows please, thank you (although she says this instead now), more, all done and eat.