JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Going to take Kody in, after all (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2674752-going-to-take-kody-after-all.html)

EverydayJoy August 25th, 2013 03:30 PM

Going to take Kody in, after all

So I had a thought yesterday, I wonder if Kody's reflux meds aren't working anymore? The doc did say they are weight sensitive and it's been awhile since they were looked at. I was talking about Kody's nursing issues in our May PR, and one of the moms chimed in that it sounded like how it was with her son who had reflux. I almost feel like "duh", because I was the one who suggested reflux to his doctor in the first place, and he seemed to improve somewhat after we started reflux meds. Now he's back to his old behavior with the refusing to nurse unless he's waking up from sleep thing.
I think I'll see if they can try a different med, because the Zantac never really made as much of an improvement as I would have liked.
Anyway so I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get in. My hubby is home now, yay! Which means he can stay home with Ethan so at least I don't have to deal with him in the doc's office.

Ame C August 25th, 2013 04:23 PM

Re: Going to take Kody in, after all

I hope the med switch is the magic touch and helps him feel better. If Kody is reverting back to old behavior habits that were cured by reflux meds, then it sounds promising that that is what is causing the fussiness. I feel bad for ever suggesting that is was just a "metal leap" phase of fussiness. I hope to hear some good updates from you soon.

AnnaBonana August 25th, 2013 05:35 PM

I'm glad your hubby is home! Hopefully that takes a load off!

It does sound like that could be the issue then. Hopefully a simple med switch will help solve your problems. I'm so sorry You've been dealing with this for so long now! ((Hugs)) for you and Kody, and hopefully it is resolved very soon!

EverydayJoy August 25th, 2013 06:52 PM

Amy, aw don't feel bad. It did seem like that fit the bill before, and it's possible that was even what caused him to be fussy before. He did seem like he was working on rolling over from back to tummy right around the same time, so it seemed to be what it was. And he got better too, but then got worse again, so maybe it was two different things.
But yes, I hope the med switch works too. Getting tired of it and it's kind of making my depression/anxiety worse.

humnck August 26th, 2013 08:42 AM

I hope you were able to get in. KUP! Fingers crossed that they can figure it out, you don't think it could be colic do you?

AimeeD041727 August 26th, 2013 09:25 AM

Hope you get some answers, Joy, so your little man can start feeling better!

momof8lopez August 26th, 2013 09:42 AM

Praying the meds do the trick! I know how frustrating a fussy baby is! My little guy had colic from 2wks until about 4mo. It was pure he**! Nothing they could do to help either, he just had to outgrow it.

lelila August 26th, 2013 10:08 AM

Oh good, I hope that is the trick! KUP and I hope Kody feels better!

melissalaw August 26th, 2013 12:49 PM

Joy I so hope that is what it is and they can change his meds and Kody will be back to his old self. Good Luck. And glad DH can watch Ethan. I know how much fun it is taking both kids to the drs.

Ame C August 26th, 2013 05:37 PM

Were you able to take Kody to the doctor today? Curious how it went.

Thinking of you.

EverydayJoy August 26th, 2013 10:40 PM

Sorry ladies, today I was running off my feet all day!
Went to the doc this morning, the doc wasn't real impressed that it was for sure reflux. He agreed to let me try the reflux med that worked well for Ethan when he was a baby, Prevacid. But he said a couple times that he didn't really think it would work, and that most times you just have to wait for them to grow out of it. I wasn't really enthused about his attitude toward it, but I'm happy I got what I wanted. Now I just need my insurance to OK it (it's an expensive med) and then we're good to go to give it a try. Kody did a bit better today, so that was nice!
Anyway, I'm not real impressed with the office in general, but so long as I get what I need, I guess I can handle that. Tomorrow am we get Kody's kidneys rechecked at Doernbecher's Children's Hospital up at OHSU, so maybe we'll find out more about that too.

Oh I forgot to say too, Kody is doing great with his weight & height, he is in the 75th percentile now for both (he was at 50 last time.) He's also perfectly healthy in all other respects. So I'm happy to know that.

Ame C August 26th, 2013 11:13 PM

I'm not a huge fan of doctors. Most of the time they frustrate the heck out of me. At least you got what you went there for and it sounds like everything else went well. Was Kody able to take some of the Prevacid today or do you have to wait for insurance and all that jazz first? Gah, I hope it helps!!!

Good luck tomorrow, well, technically it's today already I suppose :smile: Thoughts and prayers for only good news.

EverydayJoy August 27th, 2013 06:13 AM

Thanks Amy! I have to wait for insurance and pre-authorizations and all that crap, haha. But yesterday we had a decent day with Kody, we had to be out all day and he did really great, even falling asleep in the restaurant when we went out to eat, amazing! Haha. Then he saved all his screaming for home. But I didn't mind that so much.
We're getting ready to leave for Doernbecher's in about 15 minutes, we have to drop off Ethan at my SIL's house first, and the appt isn't for another couple of hours. Might be awhile before we get back because we have blood work for him, an ultrasound of his kidneys, and then the doctor consult. Then the drive home and pick up Ethan again. Whew!

Ame C August 27th, 2013 05:06 PM

I hope everything went well for y'all.

EverydayJoy August 27th, 2013 07:18 PM

Sorry...I wanted to update but JM was down. Grrr I hate when that happens hah. I'm so attached to JM it's not funny. :P

So it went well as far as the prognosis, his kidneys are much improved, yay! They are growing like they should (in proportion to his body) and the dilation is much better. Good for us to hear! His urine specimen was all clear too. We're waiting to hear on the blood results, but he seems like a healthy guy so they should be good too. At birth his testicles were undecended, so his urologist is following that too, and today he has one that is down, yay! (Although I already knew that, but the urologist confirmed it.) The other testicle is nowhere to be found at this point, so if it's not down by 6 months to a year, they will have to do surgery to bring it down. Yuck...I hope it comes down on its own. Having one come down is good though.
Today was rough for all of us---early morning wake up, drop off the oldest, rush to OHSU because I had a hard time getting out of the door on time, holding down a screaming baby during the blood draw, then he fell asleep only to have to wake up for the ultrasound and the doctor visit, took forEVer for the doctor to come in to the room---I felt like we were running from wake up to when we got home at 1pm. We all crashed and had a nap this afternoon though, so that helped. Kody slept for 3 hours so I think he was just bombed after everything. Poor little dude!

Ame C August 27th, 2013 08:08 PM

That's all wonderful. As far as the testicle, do they HAVE to do surgery? Can't they just give it time to drop on it's own? I know you mentioned 6 months to a year, but what if it doesn't want to descend on it's own until he turns 2 or something like that? I would be worried surgery would mess with his fertility later on in life... maybe not, but I'm a paranoid type person. Then again I'm sure there are probably other issues that could arise if it's never treated either. No clue, but wow, poor little Kody and mommy. It's been kinda rough so far huh? Everything will be fine I'm sure. That's really wonderful news about his other testing/ultrasound for his kidneys!!

I think I need a nap just from reading about how busy your day was, sheesh! ;) At least it's out of the way and it went great. I'll be praying that everything will "descend" like it should in the next few months.

EverydayJoy August 27th, 2013 08:57 PM

Well, the urologist said that they need to do it by a year old, because otherwise it can affect the ability of that testicle to produce sperm. Because the scrotum helps keep the testes warmer or colder by sucking them in or letting them hang down, the testicle that's inside his body can't do that and can get too hot, affecting sperm production (not sure why this isn't a big deal until a year old). Also they said that reproductive status aside, the testicle that's left inside the body has the potential to turn into a cancerous tumor. He also has an increased risk for testicular cancer now because of them being undecended at birth. So even if his testicle comes down we'll have to teach him to do self-exams on his testicles when he gets older. Fun stuff eh? :/

lelila August 28th, 2013 05:37 AM

Good to see the Update. I'm glad he saw the doc and you got the meds you wanted. Big Relief! Great News on the Kidneys. I know how stressful that can be. Both DH and I have compromised renal systems and we get our son's kidneys checked. I hope his second testicle descends on it's own. The last thing you need is something else to worry about. But good news all in all. Now rest!

melissalaw August 28th, 2013 07:35 PM

Joy so glad about Kody's kidney's and his size and weight. he's obviously getting what he needs from his momma's milk!! I hope that his testicle drops on it's own. That doesn't sound like alot of fun having surgery but glad that they will go ahead and do it. I've always heard the smaller they are the easier the surgery is.

Did you get insurance to cover the Prevacid? wondering if you've given it a try yet.

EverydayJoy August 29th, 2013 08:46 AM

Melissa, still waiting to hear about the Prevacid. I need to call my insurance and ask about it. I did buy the baby probiotics and started them yesterday. I also bought some chamomile drops I will try next. I have it all lined up: probiotics first, then new meds, then if that doesn't work, I'm going to try a trial of solely oat milk for maybe a week (vs formula, which has cow's milk). If we get to the oat milk trial and that works, then I'm going to assume it's the dairy in my diet and eliminate that and go back to breast feeding.