JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Ultrasound and Gender Prediction (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2675350-ultrasound-and-gender-prediction.html)

melissalaw August 28th, 2013 08:37 PM

Ultrasound and Gender Prediction

Just wondering about other's experiences with ultrasounds and wrong gender prediction. Has anybody ever been told they were having one gender but ended up having another or does anybody know anybody that was told one gender and when baby was born it was the other gender?

The only experience I have ever had is my brother. My parents were told he was a girl but when he was born he was a boy. But he is 20 years old so I know that technology is definitely better now than it used to be.

Ame C August 28th, 2013 10:24 PM

Re: Ultrasound and Gender Prediction

Actually yes!! I have mentioned in here before that I have an online friend from the DDC I was in while pregnant with Clyde. There was a young lady in there who also lost her son. He was stillborn via c-section. We kept in contact this whole time and have become what I would consider very good friends. I just want to add it's SOOOO weird how much we have in common!! Anyways, when I was ttc again she was not, because they recommend you wait a while after having a c-section. We ended up getting pregnant again at the exact same time! I sent her a picture of my BFP and a few days later she sent me a VERY dark BFP pic. I have to admit I was sooo excited for us both to be pregnant and able to go through this SAME journey together every step of the way. My due date is Jan 10th and her's is Jan 9th... lol.

So that's the back story. Well, she had an elective ultrasound done around 16 weeks and was told she was having a girl. I wanted to do something special for her, so I decided to loom knit her a baby blanket. I took this picture before I had finished the blankey. I JUST finished the blanket this past week and was about to take the package to the post office to send her, when I get an email from her. She had her 20 week scan and attached a picture of her baby's "goods".... most DEFINITELY a little boy!!! LOL ;)

http://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...d6169c0845.jpg

So now I have a pretty little pink blanket and no one to send it to. I'm going to have to start something a little more manly for her baby boy sometime soon. So we are both having boys again, ha. But yes, gender switches happen and it seems most common for people who think they are having girls but turns out baby is really a boy. I guess even after all the technological advances ultrasound techs still occasionally make mistakes.

So how much longer until we hear your gender results Melissa?? :D

AnnaBonana August 29th, 2013 05:59 AM

When I was in high school, I dated a guy who's mother always wanted a girl. She got pregnant after my bf and they told her it was a girl! She went nuts with the pink room, clothing etc and didn't find out until he was born that it was a boy.

He would have been born in the late eighties though, so quite a while ago technologically speaking.

AimeeD041727 August 29th, 2013 07:48 AM

Actually with Santino, I had an u/s at 15 weeks. They said I was going to have another little girl but when we went to the 20 week u/s, he was all boy.

L-SBB August 29th, 2013 08:00 AM

Mine were very definitive lol so I never had uncertainty around their prediction...only difference was that with Savannah they got such a clear look they predicted her a girl at only just past 12 weeks, but would only put 90% certainty on it. With this one, we had a lot of issues getting good view of her (in general, not just for boy/girl guess) that they didn't even try to make a guess at 12wks but by 16wks had no doubt.

humnck August 29th, 2013 02:50 PM

It happens for sure! A girl in my PR went for an earlier u/s and was told one thing and went for her anatomy scan around 20 weeks and found out she was having the other gender (I can't recall which way it was, I just remember she was a little upset, I think it was girl then found out baby was actually a boy). Early u/s are hard to say for sure, because they all look the same up until about 15/16 weeks and even then they can get it wrong, even with technology. The only fool proof test is the amnio or CVS.