JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Cleaning out the 2 car garage? Sure, why not.. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2677093-cleaning-out-2-car-garage-sure-why-not.html)

Ame C September 6th, 2013 10:21 AM

Cleaning out the 2 car garage? Sure, why not..

DH has been bringing up the topic of moving a few times already, but we had a full blown conversation the other day about if I think I can handle moving end of November or sometime in December (my due date is Jan 10th). We aren't 100% sure yet if we are going to move right before baby gets here or wait until after but we both think it would be "easier" to do it before. We have so much crap... A 2 car garage FULL of it. There's not even room to park in the garage so we use the drive way. I'm going to start attempting to clean, organize and throw stuff away (donate the good stuff) each day while DH is at work. It's a huge job. Ugh, why are we such pack-rats?!? We have two sheds in the backyard full of junk and christmas/halloween/thanksgiving/easter decorations. I feel like organizing and packing up our stuff is going to take AT LEAST 3 months on it's own. Oh me oh my!! :wacko:

melissalaw September 6th, 2013 10:25 AM

Re: Cleaning out the 2 car garage? Sure, why not..

Well first Amy let me just say YAY!!! I'm so happy that you guys have decided to go ahead and move. I think that will be so great for you guys. I'm sure mother in law won't be that happy about it. Just take it a day at a time for work a little bit each day. I know how fast junk accumulates. We moved 2 1/2 years ago and I thought we would never get packed. We still have a few thinks that we haven't unpacked because I have no where to put them. Mostly nick nacks that the kids would break so I just kept them in the boxes.

Ame C September 6th, 2013 11:32 AM

I'm sure MIL wont be too happy about it either. Oh well ;)
I've started going in the garage for 30-40 mins at a time doing what I can then taking breaks because it's miserably hot in there. So far I feel like I am getting no where. Maybe even making things MORE messy. We only have heavy trash pick up 1 time a month, which is the 2nd Wednesday of each month. That means I need to try to get as much garbage out by the road for pick up on Sept 11th. Otherwise I can only throw away what will fit in the 1 garbage bin the neighborhood provides for everyone, and even that is only picked up once a week.

I wish I could just snap my fingers or wiggle my nose and everything would be cleared out of there. Isn't there an app for that?!?!!! :confused:

EverydayJoy September 6th, 2013 12:35 PM

You need the "EASY" button!!
Projects like that will always look worse before they look better. It's disheartening, but that's the way it goes, unfortunately. You have to haul everything out and look at it, sort it into piles, and all, and that will take up more space than how it all is now. Just keep at it! A little every day will make it better than it was before. Just keep your MIL's face in your mind as motivation :D
You could always just keep bagged garbage in there with you until it can go out. Or even have your hubbs take it to the dump for you.

Ame C September 6th, 2013 01:00 PM

Hahahah :D That's some good motivation Joy! LOL, although I might get a little angry and start breaking stuff :p

The dump charges money for you to drop junk off there. I have no idea how much. I imagine it's not a lot, but still, right now it would be wise for us to save every penny. My mom lives really close. Mom's house is about a 7-10 min drive from here. She sent me an email saying I could bring over my trash and leave it on her curb for the garbage guys to haul away on her trash pick up days. They don't have a bunch of restrictions like our neighborhood has. Plus I think they have heavy trash pick up 1 time a week instead of our measly 1 time a MONTH schedule. It's an option. Oh if only there was an "easy" button... :help:

Sunrise September 7th, 2013 08:32 PM

We're moving after the baby. I look around and wonder how it will happen- but I refuse to worry about it yet :) best of luck de-cluttering!

AnnaBonana September 8th, 2013 03:50 PM

Ooof, that does sound like a big project! Little bits each day is good advice.... Beyond that, I don't have much. We had to completely re do our house before it was livable when we got married ... And we had less than a three month period to,do it in! I'm sure you'll get it done!