JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Glucose test (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2682220-glucose-test.html)

Sunrise September 29th, 2013 07:20 AM

Glucose test

My OB group does a 2 hour sugar test on everyone instead of the one hour and three hour. Any tips on what I can do to pass?? I'm not a big sweets person, but I do enjoy my occasional slice of cake! I'm just nervous to do poorly on this thing. I can't imagine having to put my cake-ing on hold :)

geogeek September 29th, 2013 09:42 AM

Re: Glucose test

I honestly wouldn't do anything different. You want an accurate reading on what you consume now. I passed mine with flying colors and I am a pretty big sweets person. I don't think there is anything you can do.

MelChicago September 29th, 2013 11:23 AM

Agreed, you should keep eating normally. It's less about what you're eating or not eating, and more about how your body processes glucose, which is not under your control. You want to get the most accurate test result to maintain a healthy pregnancy.

Boos Moo September 29th, 2013 11:28 AM

When they test me (not sure it's the same test), it test for the last 3 months. So I would have had to start making changes then. But I agree with the PP, you want the most accurate results.

EverydayJoy September 29th, 2013 02:27 PM

I would ask your OB whether you need to fast or not. When I did my 1-hour, I was surprised to find out I didn't need to fast. I don't know how a 2 hour works, but it's worth asking about!

If you do have to fast, I would bring a snack with protein (like nuts or jerky) for right after the test. It might make you feel a little sick and you don't want to have to wait till you can get home to eat something to counter the sugar.

Ame C September 29th, 2013 04:19 PM

I was told with the 3 hour test to only eat meat and veggies the night before. I didn't have to do anything special for the 1 hour test. My dr mentioned not to eat a bunch of candy before I came in (ugh... DUH!! He can be a bit of a jerk sometimes). Good luck with it!! :smile:

Sunrise September 29th, 2013 08:56 PM

Thanks ladies. It is fasting and they did recommend bringing a protein snack.

momof8lopez September 29th, 2013 10:40 PM

For the 1hr test, my dr. has told me in all my pregnancy's to fast for the 2hrs before the test. I usually schedule to test around 10am and eat breakfast around 8am. I have eaten 2 eggo waffles with lots of syrup and a big glass of apple juice, and I have passed them all. Whatever your dr. recommends is what you should do!

lelila September 30th, 2013 06:04 AM

Sweets make me sick this pregnancy, so I'm all set. But in my last test (a million years ago) I passed out. It was a 3 hour test. This time around, I'm making sure I eat something early in the morning that day. I'm having trouble with fainting as it is.

melissalaw September 30th, 2013 06:58 AM

My dr has me fast from midnight until the test. I usually try to eat meat and veggies and stay away from carbs and sweets. I failed my one hour test with Jackson but then passed the three hour test. thankfully I passed the one hour with Jacob and hopefully I'll pass this time.

Sunrise September 30th, 2013 07:13 PM

Thanks again ladies. It wasnt that bad. The drink was the orange flavored one which Id read is the more palatable one. Flat orange soda/ tang type taste. I was expecting something thick (I hate textures) but it was watery textured. I was a tiny bit nauseated, but more tired than anything else. I hope to get my results tom at my appt.

EverydayJoy September 30th, 2013 07:25 PM

Good luck on the results! Glad to hear it went ok.

Ame C September 30th, 2013 09:33 PM

Good luck!!! I hope you get good results and don't have to stress with the 3 hour test!!