JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Dog Bite! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2682840-dog-bite.html)

lelila October 1st, 2013 05:40 PM

Dog Bite!

I was dropping off a neighbor's child after soccer practice and their dog bit me! He didn't puncture the skin, but did scratch the skin around my ankle alittle through my jeans.

I was truly shaken up. I haven't been bitten by a dog in 30 years.

I don't need to worry do I?

MelChicago October 1st, 2013 05:43 PM

Re: Dog Bite!

Do you know for sure the dog is up to date with rabies vaccination? If so, then I wouldn't worry at all.

lelila October 1st, 2013 05:48 PM

I don't know, but my neighbors are good people and take good care of themselves, their animals (they have a farm) and their property. We are on good terms with them. The dogs are not kenneled and do run their large farm, so I guess it's possible that they could get rabies. I guess I should be proactive and ask them.

Boos Moo October 1st, 2013 06:04 PM

You could just ask them to be safe. But chances are it's all good. Probably more likely to get an infection than anything. But if you've cleaned it well it should be free of infection.

EverydayJoy October 1st, 2013 06:27 PM

Since he didn't break the skin, I wouldn't worry one bit. If you think it would make you feel better, put some antibiotic ointment on it. But our skin is wonderfully good at keeping bad bacteria out, so long as it isn't broken.
I'm sorry you got bit--that must have been scary! I have never been bitten by a dog before, I bet it would make me pretty leery of dogs if I did. Hope your ankle feels better soon!

Ame C October 1st, 2013 06:53 PM

Oh my goodness!! :( How awful and freaky and probably painful! I would say more than likely there's nothing to worry about. If you were wearing jeans and the teeth didn't penetrate the skin, just scratched you, I would say you're fine. But it doesn't hurt to ask your neighbors about the dog. Plus at least that way they will know their dog attacked/bit you. It's not really smart to have a moody mutt running around. Anything could happen and usually tends to.

Poor ankle ((hugs))

melissalaw October 2nd, 2013 08:42 AM

I agree with Joy since he didn't break the skin there is probably not much to worry about but you can put some antibiotic cream on it. I think I would just ask them to make sure there dog was up to date on it's shots.

Schofield06 October 2nd, 2013 03:13 PM

I'm sorry you got bit! That's always a little scary, even if it doesn't end up hurting you.

lelila October 2nd, 2013 03:56 PM

Our neighbor assured us that the dogs are up to date on all their shots. Thanks for all the advice ladies! I honestly didn't even think about it today.