JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   3 hour test today (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2683211-3-hour-test-today.html)

Ame C October 3rd, 2013 08:57 AM

3 hour test today

It's looks like I will be taking the 3 hour glucose intolerance test today (yipee :sweat:). I'm so nervous I will fail, but even more nervous about getting 4 blood draws today!! I'm not particularly fond of needles and to make things worse I have "thin veins." I have a feeling it may be 4 blood draws but in reality they will probably stick me around 8 times with the needle. *whines*

Hopefully it wont be that bad, but I'm needing some good luck and minimal needle-sticking vibes today.

lelila October 3rd, 2013 10:41 AM

Re: 3 hour test today

Good Luck today Ame!

EverydayJoy October 3rd, 2013 11:17 AM

I hope it goes well! Good luck and sending all the minimal-needle-poking vibes I have!

melissalaw October 3rd, 2013 11:22 AM

Good Luck. I hope it goes well. I have really tiny veins and they always have such a hard time sticking them. when I had my 3 hour test she couldn't get blood out of one of my arms so she had to stick the same arm 4 times. I looked like I had been shooting up drugs and it hurt terribly. I hope they don't have to stick you too many times.

Boos Moo October 3rd, 2013 02:50 PM

Hopefully since you're producing more blood maybe your veins will be bigger (hoping). Hope it all goes well.

Schofield06 October 3rd, 2013 06:52 PM

I hope it went well!

Sunrise October 3rd, 2013 09:55 PM

Hoping it went well today!

momof8lopez October 3rd, 2013 10:21 PM

Hope it went well and your arms are still in tacked, lol.

lelila October 4th, 2013 06:25 AM

Thinking of you this morning Ame! Any news?

Ame C October 4th, 2013 12:43 PM

I don't know the results yet but I can say it was NOT fun! I couldn't tell you how many times they stuck me. My arms look like they belong to a heroine addict and are all bruised up. By the time it was time to do blood draw #3 I was begging them to take blood from my hands. The lady looked to see if they had the needles to do hand blood draws and said they didn't... so more continuous pokes and digging around in my arms.

I'm a little concerned what my results are going to say. There was a point when I almost fainted (only an hour an a half in). I was sitting in the waiting room and suddenly my vision started going blurry and I got really hot and sweaty. I grabbed my bottle of water and chugged a bunch down and focused on my breathing. I didn't pass out, but I almost did, and that can't be a good sign..

I'm SO glad that parts over!!

EverydayJoy October 4th, 2013 02:08 PM

Yikes that is awful! I would think if they knew it was going to be a problem, they would have just done an IV port so they could just pull out more blood each time as needed. If you ever have to have multiple sticks in the future, I would just ask for that the first time. You poor thing!
When I was pregnant with my first son, I had to have IV infusions of antibiotics for 2 weeks, and it sucked bad having to get a new IV port every couple of days. But I can imagine your arms still look worse than mine did. :(

I hope the feeling of passing out doesn't spell bad news for you. I would think any pregnant woman having to fast for 12 hours, then drink a bunch of sugar and wait 4 more hours before you can eat again, would likely feel like they were going to pass out too. I know I would! When I worked at a medical clinic, before we had kids, we would get pregnant ladies passing out on a regular basis when they had their first blood draw (where they take lots of vials of blood). It was probably one every other month. So I would think for you to not even pass out is pretty good.
Hope your arms feel better soon! :hug:

Boos Moo October 4th, 2013 03:21 PM

Oh I'm so sorry. You're arms must be sore today. So glad you didn't faint, and I like everydayjoy's idea of having the port put in. When I had to have my labs done the other day they needed like 9 vials and told me to drink oj right after because some women feel really faint after that much blood, so I could only imagine after having to fast on top of it. Hope your arms are healing today and you get good results.

Schofield06 October 4th, 2013 07:01 PM

I'm so sorry! That doesn't sound like any fun at all. I hope you get good results.

EverydayJoy October 5th, 2013 06:30 AM

Hey Amy when do you find out results?

Ame C October 5th, 2013 07:54 AM

I was told the results should be ready by Monday. I'm going to call Mon afternoon if they don't call me Mon morning.

lelila October 5th, 2013 07:20 PM

When I was pregnant with my son I had a 3 hour test automatically - they never did a one hour test. I fainted after 1 hour. I was 20 lbs underweight at the time and had cancer and no one knew it. They went on with the test for two more hours.

I passed.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Thinking of you all weekend though, I know you're nervous and your poor arms must be so sore!

EverydayJoy October 5th, 2013 08:37 PM

Wow Leia, you had cancer while you were pregnant with your son??? And you lived to tell about it? Amazing! Are you in remission, I'm assuming?

AnnaBonana October 6th, 2013 10:48 AM

((Hugs)) Ames! I hope your results turn out well. KUP

melissalaw October 7th, 2013 06:57 AM

Amy that stinks. I hope your arms are starting to get better. I remember how painful mine felt after that 3 hour test. It sucks. I hope your results turn out good after all the pain you've been through.