JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Doppler (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2686847-doppler.html)

Boos Moo October 18th, 2013 10:14 PM

Doppler

So after ordering a fetal monitor that amplifies sounds, and isn't really good until another month or so (the website description just said second trimester, not later in the second trimester like the packaging says), we rented a Doppler (should have probably just bought one). It arrived today and DH tried to find the HB this afternoon before he had to leave for work, couldn't. So I tried before dinner, couldn't. Decided to watch a youtube video about them and that DH and I would try again in the morning. Well due to some back pain and being disappointed in not finding the HB I couldn't sleep (even though I am/was exhausted). So I decided to try again, this time lower, like really low. Finally found it! So relieved :D
Now if I'm still up when DH gets home I'll let him know and he'll probably want to try it :p
Think I'll play a little candy crush and try to go to sleep (DD has a sleepover here tomorrow night and I'm taking them to the pumpkin patch - need lots of rest).
Good night all.

kaylakay October 18th, 2013 10:45 PM

Re: Doppler

Congrats on finding a heartbeat! I had a doppler with my daughter and sometimes it would take me 20+ minutes to find it.

That is seriously the best feeling!

Ame C October 18th, 2013 11:21 PM

I had a love-hate relationship with my doppler in the early weeks like where you're at. Sometimes the heartbeat was so darn hard to find and sometimes I couldn't find it at all. Like you said, I ended up finding it really low in my pelvic area. It surprised me a little because my belly was already plump at the time. I thought for sure baby would be higher up, but no, he was still nice and snuggly down low.

I hope you have a fun day tomorrow with the kiddo's and the pumpkin patch! That sounds so fun. We aren't doing anything like that this year but I have seen tons of pictures of others taking their kids to them and they are all so precious. Don't over do it. Let the kids wear themselves out and not wear you out, lol. Enjoy your candy crush and let us know if DH is able to find the heartbeat next time and what his reaction is. ^_^

AnnaBonana October 19th, 2013 07:52 AM

I didn't start using mine until fifteen weeks and I generally have no problem finding it. I was too scared to try early because I would have had so much anxiety if I hadn't found it.

I have heard that having a full bladder helps!

Boos Moo October 19th, 2013 07:54 AM

Yeah we were sure the babe was higher up as well since that's where I'm big, but nope. Snuggled down low.
The nice thing about our little pumpkin patch is it's only 5 mins down the road, and it's all fenced in (even though there are tons of activities to do). So I can literally just sit in the shaded table area if I want and let DD and her friend (they are both 10) go where they want. We've known the family that runs it (it's at a dairy farm) for 20 years now.
Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Boos Moo October 19th, 2013 11:22 AM

Thanks Anna, I had read that somewhere about the bladder (and I always *feel* like mine is full, but I know it's not).
So I went to show DH where I found the HB last night, and babe was still in the same spot so I was able to find it right away. He was excited.
We brought DD in so she could hear it also, and she was surprised it was so fast. Like a hummingbird she said :)

AnnaBonana October 19th, 2013 04:53 PM

That's so cute! It is like a little hummingbird!

lelila October 20th, 2013 01:46 PM

So Glad you found the HB! We are in the same boat. We had one of the fetal heart tones monitors and it doesn't pick up anything. We just ordered a doppler too.

Boos Moo October 20th, 2013 02:12 PM

Yeah I could barely find my own hb with the monitor - lol. So far baby is in the same spot each time. :)

lelila October 21st, 2013 04:52 AM

I was wondering about that Therese - how much does the baby wander? I've been feeling kicks and they are always in the same place. Then on Saturday I felt a somersault and the kicks flipped to the other side. I wonder if that means the heartbeat will be in a different place. And how much room is there really at this size - you and are aren't that far apart, so is there alot of wiggle room at this stage or is it always a tight squeeze?

Keep us posted and what you find when you check the HB, I'm interested in knowing just how much that little one moves around. This will be a good education.

melissalaw October 21st, 2013 05:55 AM

so glad you found it. Mine was always really low also. I hate it when you can't find it. Makes me so nervous. but finding it does give you such a sense of relief.

Boos Moo October 21st, 2013 07:15 AM

Leia, I've heard that they move a lot and that they have a lot of room to wiggle around still even at 14 weeks. Though I do wonder since this little girl seems to like the same little corner. Last night I was having trouble finding her, but where she likes to be is close to one of my arteries or veins so I have to go right past where I find my HB and then there she was. For me she's low and very much to the right side.
I can feel a wiggle from time to time, but I'm still not always convinced it's her, can't wait til I'm a few more weeks so I'll know for sure!

Schofield06 October 21st, 2013 02:36 PM

It's hard sometimes to find the heartbeat. It still takes me a while to find it some days. Also, it's very frustrating when i find it, and then baby moves so I hear it only for a split second and have to searching again. I love being able to have that reassurance, and be able to hear the heartbeat.

Boos Moo October 21st, 2013 02:52 PM

Me to. She did that once so far (I haven't had my doppler to long) where we heard her for a few seconds and then she moved, and I had to track her down again. Yeah I really need the peace of mind in these early weeks, otherwise I'd be a nervous wreck. I am regretting though that I only rented this one instead of just buying one. But I like checking on her once a day. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to tell for sure when she's moving around.

lelila October 24th, 2013 03:28 PM

We got our doppler today. We found the HB right away and the baby moved, right away. It was like trying keep your finger on a mouse, it just kept moving all around. High up then traveled all the way down to the pelvic area then back up again. When DS got home from school and finished his homework, I got it back out and had him listen and again, it was a moving target. But we were able to find it. When the baby went down low it got really faint and sometimes disappeared. I'm wondering if that's when it went behind the placenta.

Anyway, it was very reassuring to hear.

Boos Moo October 24th, 2013 05:52 PM

Awesome Leia. I bet DS was excited about hearing the baby.

Sunrise October 24th, 2013 07:37 PM

Fun stories ladies! Keep 'em coming!

lelila October 25th, 2013 06:28 AM

Therese, how often do you use yours? If I could, I'd lay there all day! But I'm resisting. I'll tell you what, I slept soundly last night for the first time in 4 months. It really gave me peace of mind.

Boos Moo October 25th, 2013 06:46 AM

At first twice a day (for the first maybe 3 days). Now usually I just try to stick to using it at bedtime, or if I'm feeling worried (which has only happened once). And then when I do it's enough just to hear it for like 1/2 a minute and I'm good to go ;) I only wish I'd gotten one that shows BPM, even though I've heard they aren't very accurate. But at least I have the sound of the HB.