JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Viability (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2690086-viability.html)

melissalaw November 4th, 2013 06:31 AM

Viability

I finally hit 24 weeks yesterday so my baby is now viable. I don't want him born this early but it does make me feel good that atleast he would have a fighting chance now. Now I guess it is time to finally start buying some of the baby things we need.

EverydayJoy November 4th, 2013 08:18 AM

Re: Viability

Aw yay! I'm so happy for you. I know I was relieved a bit when I hit viability too. It's very helpful for the anxiety!

MelChicago November 4th, 2013 09:16 AM

That's great! I'm happy you feel a bit better.

Ame C November 4th, 2013 12:33 PM

Wow already? That's great Melissa, I never knew about the 24 week viability milestone until you told me when I hit mine.

lelila November 4th, 2013 01:24 PM

Hooray! A wonderful milestone! It feels like forever when you are waiting to get there, but such a relief, not that anyone would want to deliver that early. Here's to a healthy remaining pregnancy! Only 16 more weeks!

Boos Moo November 4th, 2013 01:31 PM

Congrats! Can't wait to get there myself.

AnnaBonana November 4th, 2013 02:17 PM

Congrats! I'm now waiting on that milestone myself.... It feels like as soon as I get there I'll be able to relax that little bit more...

I'm happy you've made it!

momof8lopez November 4th, 2013 03:06 PM

Congrats on a huge milestone! When baby Rey was in the NICU, I saw 3 little 24wk, 25 and 28 wk baby's and they all looked like they were going to pull through! My OB delivers a few of these a year, his last one was 26wks only weighing in at 15oz. That little baby made it and is nice and healthy now!

melissalaw November 5th, 2013 06:14 AM

Thanks Ladies.

Lori that is nice to hear. I know none of us wants our babies delivered early but is a good feeling to know that they have a fighting chance.

lelila November 5th, 2013 09:25 AM

Yes, technology is amazing. We have so many opportunities these days.

But also, the human body and spirit are amazing too! My mother was born in the 1930's, in a third world country at 28 weeks and survived. She was 16 oz. She has always had health issues, particularly respiratory, but a true miracle considering she was born on a dirt floored room by her mother and one other lady with no medicine, machines or modern technologies.

kaylakay November 5th, 2013 10:38 AM

24 weeks is a major milestone... And every week makes a difference. If the baby is under 24 weeks we hardly ever try to save them. It's very sad. So congrats on making this milestone!

It's really sad when we have like 21-22 weekers come in with their water broke and there isn't much we can do but if they only waited 2 more weeks maybe! So it really is such a great thing.

melissalaw November 5th, 2013 10:55 AM

Leia that is amazing about your mother. Just wonderful.

MoonAngel702 November 5th, 2013 11:43 AM

That's awesome and I'm sure such a relief! Congrats!!!

Schofield06 November 5th, 2013 05:04 PM

Yay!! Such a good milestone. About 2 more weeks and I'll get there. I can't wait!

EverydayJoy November 5th, 2013 07:39 PM

Wow Leia. That is crazy about your mom! She must have been a real fighter. Amazing too that she was healthy enough to go through birthing her own children after that. Way to go mom! ;)