JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Medicine/Vitamins (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2690193-medicine-vitamins.html)

arngwifey November 4th, 2013 01:16 PM

Medicine/Vitamins

What all have/are you ladies taken/taking to help maintain your pregnancies?

I know that I will have to do Lovenox and Folbee Plus (Folic Acid/B vitamins?) and most likely progesterone.

I'm looking at taking 5,000 iui of vitamin d3 because I've read that helps. Anyone else take that?

Boos Moo November 4th, 2013 01:32 PM

Re: Medicine/Vitamins

I'm only taking prenatals and then meds to keep my blood sugar under control.

Ame C November 4th, 2013 02:01 PM

I only take prenatals but I don't have any history of problems. I was told what happened with my first was a "fluke" they couldn't explain why we lost him so they didn't have me do anything special this pregnancy.

geogeek November 4th, 2013 02:10 PM

Prenatals, D3 and Progesterone.

JackieV November 4th, 2013 04:52 PM

Prenatal with dha, folate, b-complex, iron, cranberry pills ( I'm prone to UTI) and progesterone.

lelila November 5th, 2013 05:41 AM

Prenatals, 5M of Folic. I take Topomax for migraine maintenance. The first 13 weeks I was on baby aspirin.

melissalaw November 5th, 2013 06:11 AM

I took progesterone until 12 weeks. Other than that all I take are prenatals.

MelChicago November 5th, 2013 06:48 AM

Prenatals + DHA, 2000 iu of folate, low-dose aspirin until 36 weeks, progesterone for the first 11 weeks.

I also take 2000iu of D3. After my first loss, my OB tested me for this and found my levels low. She (and 2 other doctors) told me that there's no established connection between low vitamin D and miscarriage. And also that the majority of people in North America have low vitamin D, due to lack of sun exposure. I did go on to have 2 more losses before this pregnancy, so I tend to agree with the science. But supplementing can't hurt, really.

lelila November 5th, 2013 09:30 AM

Mel, did your OB say why you would be on baby aspirin until 36 weeks? Mine wouldn't go past 13, saying it was dangerous and my Neuro also mentioned the dangers of NSAIDs after 13 weeks. I'm curious why there is such a difference in advice among Drs.

MelChicago November 5th, 2013 10:11 AM

Leia, yes, she did say something about it- preventing the collapse/blockage of small blood vessels particularly in the placenta, as well as preventing pre-eclampsia. I too was being a bit surprised at the length of time. (My RE also was ambivalent about taking aspirin at all and said he'd leave it up to my OB)

But after some research, I've found this isn't an unusual thing at all, and has been shown to have good outcomes in low doses. Here are a few articles I found about it:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/803128_1

The Fetal Medicine Foundation / Prevention of preeclampsia by aspirin

Cardiac function in fetuses and newborns... [Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI

And most importantly this study, which hasn't yet put out final results...

Epidemiology Branch (EB)

But preliminary results (which involved women taking low-dose thru 36 weeks) showed no increased risk of complications but some improved live birth success rates with use of low-dose aspirin (here's an article about the preliminary results:

Aspirin May Up Chance for Baby After Miscarriage

lelila November 5th, 2013 10:44 AM

Wow, Thanks Mel! Impressive research. I noticed alot of the articles are recent, except the one gov article, but then again, when has the govt ever been uptodate?.

I wonder if the information we've been given regarding NSAIDs is just outdated and pretty soon we'll be told that Ibuprofen is safe!

kaylakay November 5th, 2013 10:46 AM

Pre natal, extra folic acid and progesterone until 14 weeks :)

MoonAngel702 November 5th, 2013 11:47 AM

Prenatal, D3 (I had deficient levels), baby aspirin, progesterone

arngwifey November 5th, 2013 01:47 PM

For those that are taking folate and aspirin- do you all have MTHFR?

And what brand of folate are you using? Prescription? Or just store bought? I don't know how much folic acid is in my folbee plus. I will have to look into it.

MelChicago November 5th, 2013 01:56 PM

I have the MTHFR a1298c variant- just one, which is not thought to cause blood clotting when it's just on one allele instead of both. According to my RE, 60% of people have this single variant. He checked my homocysteine levels just to be sure, and they were fine. Still, I take the aspirin and folate.

I take Optimized Folate (L-5-methylfolate), NOT folic acid, which I order on Amazon. There are many women who are much more knowledgeable about it than me, but as I understand, to use folic acid, your body has to break it down and convert it several times. If you have MTHFR, your body does not do this efficiently, which is why women take 5000units just to get enough. The L-5-methylfolate is a more "basic" or root version that the body can use directly and doesn't need to be broken down.

Schofield06 November 5th, 2013 05:11 PM

I just take prenatals, but they haven't found anything in my blood work to say I need anything else.