JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   What do you think? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2692321-what-do-you-think.html)

melissalaw November 14th, 2013 08:03 AM

What do you think?

Yahoo Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

A friend of mine posted this in our DDC and I wondered what you all thought about a raw diet during pregnancy.

I know I could never follow any kind of diet like this pregnant or not.

Ame C November 14th, 2013 08:20 AM

Re: What do you think?

I saw that this morning on yahoo news. I don't think it's a smart idea. It's obvious since she's a model that she's doing it for herself and not for the health of her unborn baby which bothers me. It also seems like a way to show off or get attention but it's her choice. I wouldn't do that to my baby...

Especially after going through a late loss I take a lot of time to think about what's best for my baby. I eat things I don't like just because I know it's good for Toren. For example beets, black eyed peas, oatmeal. I try to avoid things I would normally eat all the time like coffee, artificial sweeteners, soft cheeses, beef jerky. I think it's a bit irresponsible to only eat bananas and mangoes, but is her baby going to be perfectly fine when it's born? Probably. But if her baby isn't fine I bet she will have tons of regrets!!

geogeek November 14th, 2013 08:46 AM

I just hope she is getting good medical care. I don't think anyone could get a variety of nutrients that way. I just think of the other side of the spectrum as well where people don't give any care to what they eat and drink. If the baby is doing well and her doctor is okay with it, I am not a medical professional so I won't judge.

MelChicago November 14th, 2013 10:26 AM

The recommendations I've seen from doctors and scientific sources are that pregnant women need between 50-70 grams of protein each day. People are made of protein. When you're making a person, that's what you need. This lady is getting 10mg a day? The person who wrote the diet book whose advice she is following, per the article, is an athletic trainer trying to sell books, not a medical professional.

Plus, dealing with constipation while pregnant, I can't imagine the impact (pun intended) of 10 bananas a day.

Ame C November 14th, 2013 10:51 AM

Mel, I agree.

melissalaw November 14th, 2013 11:11 AM

Amy your gonna be such a great momma!!

EverydayJoy November 14th, 2013 11:19 AM

I don't think it's a good idea. That diet is fine for just herself, but it's her baby that I would be concerned about. She needs more protein. I don't care if she doesn't want to eat meat, but at least eat a balanced diet. The proportion of protein should be higher, and probably fat too.
The annoying thing is that she compares the diet only to the really unhealthy people eating Burger King and Taco Bell every day. Well duh, eating bananas all day long WOULD be more healthy than that. But is it the best for your baby???

Ame C November 14th, 2013 11:29 AM

Thank you Melissa :blush: I will try my best that's for sure!

Schofield06 November 14th, 2013 03:53 PM

Yea, I don't think this would be a good idea. I'm not a professional so I guess I don't know for sure, but it seems like you couldn't possibly get all the nutrients you need with such a limited diet, much less what your baby needs. I would never try it when pregnant.