JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Induction, yay or nay? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2701918-induction-yay-nay.html)

geogeek January 6th, 2014 12:58 PM

Induction, yay or nay?

Okay ladies, I really, really don't want this to be a debate at all. My midwife gave me the option of a 39 week induction. This is because of how huge Marsi was and we want to avoid the same issues with Dorian that we did with her because of size. Just thinking of having a set date where people will come out knowing when he will be born is the absolute biggest plus for me. It has caused major stress the last couple of weeks. I am not scared of it. I had a crazy cervical stretch right before going into labor with Marsi. I have been on Pit. She was a forceps baby which is the biggest reason why I would want him born smaller. Opinions?

lelila January 6th, 2014 01:36 PM

Re: Induction, yay or nay?

I'm still in my worried stage. I just want to make it to 36/37 weeks when it's safe to have the baby. Does that make me insane?

Honestly, I'm a medical miracle just sitting here after everything I've been through - so I'm pretty sure I'll end up with another c-sec. But if I went in at 37 -39 weeks and she said to me, I think we should induce you because of x, y, or z I would say "Uh, ok. Where do I go?"

Boos Moo January 6th, 2014 01:39 PM

I personally don't have anything against induction. With my DD she was large (over 10 pounds) so they recommended a c-section (plus I had some issues with DS's birth and right after that contributed). Nobody has talked to me about induction yet, just possible vbac or another c/s. But we'll discuss it with the new doctor when we get closer.

Schofield06 January 6th, 2014 02:03 PM

You obviously have a reason to do one if you had issues with Marsi's birth, and I do believe that inductions are good when they are needed. I would probably want to see how big Dorian was looking later on to see if I still felt I needed to have one. That's just me though. If you feel more comfortable having the induction, then I say go for it.

melissalaw January 6th, 2014 02:18 PM

I have no problem with inductions especially if you think Dorian will be as big as Marsi or bigger. We will most likely induce at 39 weeks if he is not here before then.

MelChicago January 6th, 2014 02:39 PM

I'm with the others- nothing at all against induction. If you feel its best for you, and will help ease the delivery, then it seems like a good idea.

I have not given birth yet, so I don't know at what point you have to decide. Is it easier to schedule now, presuming everything will be ready, and then change later if he comes early? Or can you wait until 36-37 weeks to see how big he is, and plan it then?

geogeek January 6th, 2014 03:42 PM

It was kind of a passing thing that stunned me. I didn't ask any questions about when to schedule or anything. I will try to make my decision by 30 weeks and ask those questions at my appointment. With regards to checking size, I am always measuring at least a week ahead with him. Marsi was the same way. Right before I had her, they told me she should be around 7 lbs. they were 2 lbs off, so I just don't trust any weight measurements given by anyone.

EverydayJoy January 6th, 2014 03:52 PM

I think it sounds reasonable to induce. What happened with Marsi besides the forceps?
I don't like inductions personally, but that was because I didn't want an epi. Pit makes it more painful, so hence not wanting it.
I think getting your head gripped by forceps is a little more scary than getting meds to induce labor.

Belita January 6th, 2014 04:06 PM

I think it's sounds like a good reason. Forceps are so scary! My hospital doesn't even use them, they just have a vacuum.

kaylakay January 6th, 2014 04:27 PM

Don't trust weight guesses on ultrasounds. 86% of the time they are wrong!!!! I always think "Why the heck do we even do these anymore?" Haha. We have babies come out weighing 6 pounds that we're measuring 8 pounds on ultrasound or vice versa. So... I think it's best to go by history. Marsi was a big baby. That is no secret. Haha. This little man is probably going to be on the big side too. If I were you I would induce at 39 weeks... Forceps are a scary thing... I have seen a million and 1 forceps deliveries and they still make me nervous every single time. If my babies were that big I would induce. Also... Since your a 2nd time mama your induction and labor will most likely be a million times easier. In L&D we call first time moms primates and moms who already have children multips... And multip inductions and labors I would say 90% always go smoother. If I personally had to choose between an extremely large baby and possible forceps again or a 39 weeks induction I would be all over the induction. Haha. So many mamas get elective inductions at 39 weeks for no reason and do great. You at least have a reason. Up to you mama but that is my opinion.

geogeek January 6th, 2014 04:28 PM

With Marsi's birth, it was crazy. She was sunny side up. She was big. I had to have high dose Pit to get the contractions strong enough to have her descend. Needless to say, because of her size, there were lots of issues with her delivery. I don't have to start the induction with Pit. I would do cervical stretching first. It is what got me into labor with Marsi. I just want him to be smaller than Marsi. I truly think that if he is a bit smaller, I won't have the issues I had with Marsi. One way to try for that is getting him here a little earlier than Marsi got here at 40+1 weeks.

Schofield06 January 6th, 2014 06:20 PM

Well, it sounds like the best idea would be to go ahead with the induction then. Sounds like it was kind of rough with Marsi. I hope it's easier for you this time around no matter what you decide!

EverydayJoy January 6th, 2014 07:20 PM

Yeah that does sound rough for sure! I know I would be scared if they had to do forceps with any of my babies. I say go for the induction!

doremi January 7th, 2014 12:01 AM

My OB told me the best indicator of a baby's weight is the mother's intuition. My first was 7lb5oz at 40W3D. I went into labor with my second at 36W3D, and told my OB that I FELT like the baby was almost the same size as when I had gone to labor with my first. He ended up being only an ounce smaller, weighing in at 7lbs4oz! So, if it were me, I would see how the measurements looked and how I was feeling about the size of the baby as that 39th week got closer. Having ended up with a c/s with my first after being induced, I would definitely try to avoid having them manually break your waters early on. I still say that was probably a big factor in when my first got stuck and my second was born vaginally. Good luck with whatever you decide!

humnck January 7th, 2014 11:13 AM

With your history, Marsi's birth issues, I would go with the induction, just for the reasons that you stated. I was induced with both of my girls at 40w6d and 40w5d because my doc doesn't like you to go past a week overdue. With DD1, she had meconium present when they broke my water. I had a Foley bulb put in the night before to stretch my cervix because it wasn't getting the hint, I had been having contractions and only gotten to a 1 for 5 weeks. When that was removed, my water broke on it's own...my labor from that point to when she was born was 5.5 hours, no big deal for a first timer! They used a vacuum for her and I had to have an episiotomy after 2 hours of pushing, that was not fun, I tore on top of that too.

With Addy, I dilated to almost 3 for a few weeks, with contractions off and on. No Foley bulb needed, they used pit to start things up and when my water was broken, bam! I had her within 4.5 hours.

If they are doing the cervix stretching, I think that is the biggest help (IMO) to start things off.