JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   salami (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2705771-salami.html)

cortln January 29th, 2014 10:57 AM

salami

I'm terrible

I know my Dr. told me not to eat any lunch meat at all, BUT, I really wanted a salami and cheese sandwich. I remember with my daughter my old Dr. told me that I could eat lunch meat from the Deli at the grocery store, she just said not to get the packaged stuff... so I figured it's just a Dr.'s opinion....some say yes it's ok and some say no.

Well, I figured a sandwich or two wouldn't hurt me. I ate one today and then started thinking....is salami lunch meat or sasuage???? If it's sasuage then I can have it whenever I want. So I googled it and here's what I found and now I'm freaking out. Should I go stick my finger down my throat? LOL seriously, that's horrible to do but I don't want it to cause problems! Has anyone else ate salami??? Like the kind at the grocery store in the deli.

Salami During Pregnancy - Is It Safe To Eat? | BabyMed.com

EverydayJoy January 29th, 2014 02:05 PM

Re: salami

I had some lunchmeat during my pregnancy with Kody and he's just fine! The thing with lunchmeat is just to warm it up till it's steaming and then you can eat it. It has nitrates/nitrites, so it's not SUPER healthy, but it's not like you have to only eat it once a month or something. I think your doc is just being uber-conservative. Don't sweat this one and just warm it next time if in doubt.

AnnaBonana January 29th, 2014 02:09 PM

Well, I've eaten salami.

Not sure how long ago... Maybe over the course of the past two months?

I'm not too worried. I hate articles like that where they don't give specifics. A higher risk... Sure, but what type of higher risk? Am I twenty seven times more likely to have birth defects? Or am I 0.012% more likely to have birth defects?

If it makes you anxious, I would not eat it from now on. I just happened to buy two packages without thinking a while ago-- I did eat it. I probably won't again until after the baby is born. But I'm not going to stress and beat yield up over it, that's for sure.

cortln January 29th, 2014 02:41 PM

I ate lunch meat for sure when I was pregnant with my daughter, I can't remember if it was salami but salami is my fav lunch meat so I am assuming I did eat it with her. She came out fine, I am just a super worrier, I know I shouldn't have ready the article and I know I shouldn't even have eaten the dang stuff knowing I would react this way if I thought too much about it. I just wanted it so bad! I'm sure that will be the last time I do that.

Boos Moo January 29th, 2014 05:48 PM

If you haven't gotten sick you're probably fine. I believe it's a very small risk and if the mood strikes again just heat it up to be safe. I can't remember the last time I had salami, but I did have a hot turkey deli sandwich the other day.

geogeek January 30th, 2014 03:59 AM

I wouldn't worry about this one time. If it makes you nervous, then abstain from it the rest of the pregnancy. I have eaten okay, but I don't stress stuff like this much.

melissalaw January 30th, 2014 07:01 AM

I've had lunch meat in all of my pregnancies and my babies are all ok. I talked to my dr about it and he said as long as it was from a trusted source then don't worry. He told me to heat it if it still bothered me.

cortln January 30th, 2014 09:40 AM

awesome, thanks girls. I may be able to eat some salami without panicking after all haha

momology January 30th, 2014 02:01 PM

Articles like that can be so scary :hug: I agree with the other ladies heat it up to keep peace of mind but I am sure it is fine. I had a mini panic attack after reading a scary article about lunch meats last week. . .