JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Motherhood After Loss (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/)
-   -   Upset, vent (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f133-pregnancy-and-motherhood-after-loss/2709465-upset-vent.html)

Boos Moo February 22nd, 2014 09:47 AM

Upset, vent

So as I posted before I spoke with one of the nurses yesterday regarding my blood sugar numbers. They communicate the doctor's recommendations. And I get email from them and the doctor as well. So when I spoke with the nurse was before the office closed, but it was going to be to late for me to go down yesterday and pick up the insulin and have them show me how to use it, so the nurse said to come in Monday morning. Well when I woke up this morning I checked my email and the doctor had sent an email after the office closed (so about an hour after I talked with the nurse) saying the glyburide isn't working (which actually it's working to well, which is why I'm having the lows) and I need to go on insulin because lows are life threatening to me and the baby. Ok no nurse or doctor should ever tell a patient that something is life threatening in an email, especially when I now have to wait until Monday to go in. Doctors and nurses really need to take a class about how to communicate with patients. So now all weekend (well I'm sure the rest of the pregnancy) I'm going to be freaked out about going to low. And I know from reading here on the board that people can have lows with insulin as well as the pills. I'm not fond of this new doctor, but with maybe 40 days left I don't feel it's worth it to find another new doctor at this point. Just wanted to rant/vent. Thanks for reading.

Schofield06 February 22nd, 2014 10:58 AM

Re: Upset, vent

Ugh! I can't believe the Dr would say something that would freak any mom out like that! So sorry.

Ame C February 22nd, 2014 11:19 AM

That's messed up. I don't know but it could have been a scare tactic. Maybe the dr thinks your not taking the issue seriously and your highs and lows could be caused by carelessness on your part. Either way that wasn't professional for him to get you worried and stressed out on a day that you couldn't do anything about it anyways! Grrrr.... <_< jerk!

Boos Moo February 22nd, 2014 01:50 PM

DH said he thinks this doctor (she's a mom herself) doctors by scare tactics. Because the last 2 times I saw her (well the only 2 times) she said something about my numbers not being great and I was going to have to go on insulin, but in reality my numbers were better (they've been getting better, and I've read for some women that happens). I figured they'd actually just decrease my medicine, but I guess (maybe) the insulin is easier to adjust/control. I'm just worried now that baby might not be doing as well as she should and I don't want anything bad to happen to her. I'm second guessing myself.
On a good note, I did make up my list of what to put in my hospital bag and for DH to bring. Now to just get it together.

Ame C February 22nd, 2014 02:29 PM

Don't second guess yourself because it's nothing you're doing wrong! It sounds like you are handling everything well and doing everything exactly like you should be. I know it's upsetting that your numbers have been so screwy, but at least they are always at the low end of the not-great ranges. Just a few more hurdles to jump before the finish line. Keep up the good work! xxx (ugh still can't believe your dr!)

Oh and yay for working on your hospital bag. It starts feeling even more official when it's all packed and ready to go.

MelChicago February 22nd, 2014 03:22 PM

Ugh, I'm sorry, what an upsetting message. I'm sure your baby is fine and wish your doctor hadn't said that. It seems to me if things were really that life-threatening, SOMETHING would have indicated it long before now- you'd be feeling ill, something would have shown up in any of your prenatal visits, etc. You've been monitored and are doing all you can (as you were directed) so I agree, no need to second guess yourself. Hang in there mama!

Boos Moo February 22nd, 2014 04:34 PM

Thanks, good point. She didn't mention coming in to start the twice a week monitoring earlier than planned (at 34 weeks). DH has been checking my numbers each day also (I leave the paper right by the computer and he knows more than he'd like to I'm sure about what's good and what's not), and he says he thinks I'm doing a good job.
You know us moms though, always concerned.
Thanks for the support. Baby girl is moving like normal so I'm trying to focus on that. :)

geogeek February 22nd, 2014 05:08 PM

A doctor should never use scare tactics like that! I am so sorry.

EverydayJoy February 22nd, 2014 07:20 PM

That is so wrong! I would want to write a really nasty email back to her if it was me.
I have heard it put that baby probably feels similar to you if you're having low blood sugar, so if you're feeling bad, that's your body telling you that your sugar is too low, and you remedy it right away anyway. Plus baby gets first dibs on any nutrients in your blood stream, so you would start to feel bad before your baby would (at least, it seems like that's how it would be). If it were truly life-threatening, you would have been in the hospital by now. Plus, if it were really that urgent that you get on the insulin ASAP, she would have called you instead of emailing, and had it's arranged right away.
I'm sorry she's manipulating you this way. What a jerk.

lelila February 23rd, 2014 08:43 AM

Poor bedside manner for sure. My first onco told me at my first appt that he would try to give me 2 years but couldn't promise me anything after that. I ditched him immediately and got another doc.

If you don't like or feel comfortable with a doc, get rid of them - you don't need the stress.

Boos Moo February 23rd, 2014 11:25 AM

Thanks all. Yeah I think when I go in for my Tuesday appointment I might say something like 'your email really freaked me out - we'd better start extra testing right now!'